Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > X5

X5 Discussion and support of the Gaui X5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 03:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default X5 ESC (GUEC GE-610)

I think I saw it posted somewhere the ESC was made by SAE (like previous Gaui ESCs), but it seems to me this is a rebranded Hobbywing Platinum ESC. It looks exactly like the 60 and 80 amp Hobbywing ESCs I already have (except the case color is blue for those).

The Hobbywing programming box I have also works fine with it, but it does that too with Turnegy ESCs.
mjbrands is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2010, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmmmm - having a quick look the specs are exactly the same and the programming looks very similar - though there are slight differences, perhaps it is a customised version

link to Gaui doc download on this page http://eng.gaui.com.tw/d981119/html/...iew.asp?sn=884

link to Hobbyking spec on this page http://www.hobbywing.com/english/Art...?ArticleID=442

Mike
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's made by Hobbywing. The first X5 I got came with a blue Hobbywing esc. The second X5 came with a gold colored Gaui esc that looks exactly the same except for the color and the antispark.
benben is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2010, 07:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

mine is the blue one and i thought it was familiar but wasn't sure. Thanks for comfirming

Vas
torana74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

What's the soft-start like on the X5 ?? I really like the soft-start on my Gaui 50A ESCs - just wondering if it is as good on the X5 Hobbywing
Old 07-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Mike, it is soft but not soft soft as on the Hurri. First initial kick is harder but liveable.
Have a looksee at the vids.

Vas
Old 07-29-2010, 08:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks mate - that's what I had guessed from the vids
Old 07-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

If memory serves me well the default is soft, I think. There is also a very soft, that may be worthwhile trying. I am not home right now so cannot confirm this.

G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2010, 09:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I did some bench testing and I must say the BEC in the ESC seems to function quite nicely. With the BEC set to 6 volt, my multimeter showed 6.10 volt. The voltage dip that occured when I loaded all servos (BLS451 and BLS251 in my case) was minor; the lowest I've seen is 5.98 volt, but in general the voltage stayed above 6 volt with all servos moving and under some load (gf was holding the head and the tail rotor and I was swirling all the sticks).

The anti-spark device included seems somewhat useless though. With the connector in the positive battery lead disconnected, the receiver cannot draw enough power and starts resetting over and over. This leads to blinking LEDs on the receiver because of under-voltage. Once I reconnect the connectors in the postive lead, the receiver succesfully starts. Also, if I first use the anti-spark device to charge the capacitors and then disconnect and reconnect (with the connectors in the postive lead plugged in), it still results in a spark sometimes, even though the capacitors were charged seconds before.

It seems I can choose: no spark and loose the ability to detect an under-voltage situation (receiver resets) or a spark and still have the receiver indicate under-voltage (if it should occur). What are your experiences with the anti-spark thing?

Edit: an other alternative is to use a seperate BEC, ofcourse.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, I have the exact same problem with my antispark, it seems they have chosen a wrong size capacitor that dows not work well with 6s..
Old 07-30-2010, 05:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Interesting... mine is an early one and doesn't have the spark arrestor. Too high resistance. A matter of swapping it for a one with lower resistance.
From the ones i've tried....many have been different. Some would allow the ESC to arm with 80 ohm,,,, some needed 20ohm.

It really was a nice touch to see the X5's equipped with these and hopefully Gaui will get ontop of it.

Vas
Old 07-30-2010, 07:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by torana74 View Post
high resistance
The resistor in mine seems to be 10 ohm. I was expecting one with a higher resistance. If the receiver would be unable to arm, that would also solve my issue.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

mj,, do you know the wattage of it??? i use 1w and no probs, but not using the the built in bec in any of them. A 1w 80ohm arms my HV45

Vas
Old 07-31-2010, 06:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by torana74 View Post
mj,, do you know the wattage of it???
I'd have to remove the heatshrink to check, but I don't expect I'm able to do that for at least a few days. By then, I've probably forgotten about it :-p
Old 08-11-2010, 06:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im using a physical high amperage switch between the reciever and the ESC.

1. Plug in battery to ESC without switch to reciever turned OFF, with big red lead disconnected (spark protection thing).
2. Wait a few secs (for caps to charge).
3. Plug in big red lead.
4. Switch ON the switch to receiever.

Anyone tested the Governor mode on this ESC througoutly?
I've had issues with previous GAUI esc's (the 50A one supplied with the H550 for example).
liposly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by liposly View Post

Anyone tested the Governor mode on this ESC througoutly?
Still playing around with it and will post logs. Just having too much fun flying it at the moment

Vas
Old 08-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by liposly View Post
've had issues with previous GAUI esc's (the 50A one supplied with the H550 for example).
That thing had a BEC?! My H550 came with the 50A ESC and a Gaui linear regulator - but that was 2 years ago.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

on the esc that comes with x5 does it have bec that steps down voltage to the electronics or do I need to get a regulator the servos are rated at 6 volts. I do not have one yet just checking out the specs. i am sorta concerned with the price of these large batteries and wondering if since i is in parallel 6s1p if it will charge on a charger the same as sa a 3s

"Just needed to read the instructions"
dwoodworker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 05:20 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodworker View Post
on the esc that comes with x5 does it have bec that steps down voltage to the electronics or do I need to get a regulator the servos are rated at 6 volts. I do not have one yet just checking out the specs. i am sorta concerned with the price of these large batteries and wondering if since i is in parallel 6s1p if it will charge on a charger the same as sa a 3s
Yes, it has a BEC which can be set to 5.25 and 6 volt (I actually measured 6.10 volt unloaded). If your servos can handle 6 volts, you should be fine. Usually it is the rudder servo that is more critical. You can put a step-down between the receiver and the gyro to get 5-5.2 volt for the rudder servo, but in that case (unless you have particular performance requirements) you might be better of setting the ESC to 5.25 volt (I think that is the default). Load on the BEC will also be lower at 5.25 than at 6 volts, so it also decreases the possibility of issues with it (not that I'm saying you'll have any - this seems like quite a nice ESC to me).

As for the batteries: in general, you cannot charge a 6s pack on a charger that wasn't meant for that. If your charger does support charging 6s packs, then charging works exactly the same as with 3s packs.

You can make a 6s pack by running two 3s packs in series. I did that in the past on my Hurricane 550, but I've since stopped. I've had two accidents where I didn't connect the 3s packs correctly during charging, leading to a short-circuit. Honestly, I'm too scared to still charge packs in series. There isn't really an issue connecting them in the heli, but when you want to charge them as a single 6s pack, you need to connect both the battery leads and the balancing leads in series. Mess that up and things get pretty exciting. You shouldn't charge 3s pack seperately and then connect them in series, but personally I haven't seen issues with that yet - it isn't adviceable to do this though.

Anyway, a 4000-5000 mAh 6s pack would be great and I don't suppose you have two 4000-5000 mAh 3s packs; 2500-3000 mAh (Trex 450?) 3s are fairly common, but you will get very low flight times with those on the X5, not to mention it will very likely kill the packs. If you want to use two Trex 450 packs in series, you're better of with a '500' size heli (425 mm blades), such as an Atom 500, Protos or Trex 500.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:57 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello guys,
I wonder if this esc has a setting that determines how smooth the transition between modes (normal/idle1/idle2) will occur.
A softer transition is good to the gears.
I couldn’t find anything about this on the manual, so I’m assuming this esc doesn’t have such feature.
Am I right?
Thanks.
ReadyToCrash is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in