Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Genius CP

Genius CP Walkera Genius CP Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Help pls on genius w devo 7

Hi all,

I just got the above set up. I believe I have set it up properly with settings as per Tom z on rcgroups.

When I throttle up, it Keeps spinning round and round. I suspect that there is something wrong with the 3 axis gyro. Even when I tilt it left and right and up and down, the swash plate does not appear to move to compensate. Do u think it's faulty gyro?

I'm pretty sure I have activated gyro, as I can get into the gyro mode to change the gyro gain. Just wondering if I have missed a trick with the gyro mode.

Rudder is normal and working as intended. Just a lot of spinning clockwise.
Or is it something else????

Cheers
chilling is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I just noticed that when I bind, it does the red blinking thing, but then after that all blinking stops without any other illumination. Ie no light of any kind.

I'm looking at finless' video On binding and note that after the blinking, there is a green light on the receiver.

The cyclics all move as intended, but there is no green light. Do u think it is the gyro?

Also, I meant that it keeps spinning anti clockwise.

Thank you in advance for any advise.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The jumper settings on the rx or heli:

1 is set to on.
2 is set to off.
Erazor 450 (2801 rx) 2750kv | EXI 450 Pro (2702V rx) FBL Tri-Blade head 3500kv AKE | V450 Walkera (2702V rx) 3950kv Turbo ACE 804 | 4F200 & 4F200LM | V200DQ02 & V200D02 | V120D02 & V120D05 | 250 CopterX | 250 EXI FBL | Genius - WK2801
Silver-techie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yup, mine is set on those settings.

When u tilt the heli, does your swashplate move to compensate? Because I don't see any movement at all hence I suspect it is faulty gyro.

Many thanks
Old 10-21-2011, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

If the light goes off after bind, it means you have ZERO TAIL gyro gain. Go into the radio, enable the gyro menu, and increase gyro gain above 50. The LED will go green.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
If the light goes off after bind, it means you have ZERO TAIL gyro gain. Go into the radio, enable the gyro menu, and increase gyro gain above 50. The LED will go green.

Bob
Hi Bob,

Thanks for all your videos, watching your videos helped me get started, without it i without the Set up 101 videos, i wouldn't have been able to enjoy this hobby....

Anyway, back to this issue, i have thought i have enabled the gyro menu. I've set the gain setting on 82 on all 3 conditions. I have to admit, the gyro mode on the Devo 7 is not very intuitive....

First i go in the Model Menus. THen output and am at gear. I set the gear to gyro.

From there, i go to the function menu. Go to gyro, leave it at automatic and i set all 3 conditions to 82 gain.

Or should i set the aux 2 to gyro?

any thoughts?
Old 10-21-2011, 11:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

also, i'm looking at the servo monitor, and the gyro indicates that it is +64% when the gain is at 82 on gyro menu

does that mean anything to anyone???
Old 10-21-2011, 12:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilling View Post
Yup, mine is set on those settings.

When u tilt the heli, does your swashplate move to compensate? Because I don't see any movement at all hence I suspect it is faulty gyro.

Many thanks
Yes. Mine compensates. Are your pot controls at 12 o'clock for default settings?

I don't think I'll be much help on the devo tx. I use the 2801 tx.

Generally for the walkera's I own, when the TX gain for the tail gyro is below 50, it puts it in rate mode. Of course you can't set a rate mode on this heli. But just wanted to point that out. I tend to set one side of the switch below 50, so I know I'm resetting the rudder like you would with a pitch tail blade setup.

That way.. when I lift off, it shouldn't spin too hard one way (if I pick it up form a crash, and the tail is away from me), since its generally a HH mode heli. So I flip the switch to rate, then back to HH. I could be wrong on this, but that is how I interpret they way it works for me, as well as all my other setups with the 2801 tx.

You'll prolly get more advice on that Devo tx though.
Erazor 450 (2801 rx) 2750kv | EXI 450 Pro (2702V rx) FBL Tri-Blade head 3500kv AKE | V450 Walkera (2702V rx) 3950kv Turbo ACE 804 | 4F200 & 4F200LM | V200DQ02 & V200D02 | V120D02 & V120D05 | 250 CopterX | 250 EXI FBL | Genius - WK2801

Last edited by Silver-techie; 10-21-2011 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: typo
Silver-techie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Silver-techie,

Yes, the pot controls are at 12 oclock. I've set one at approx 11 as per Finless video though.

I also wondered if maybe it wasn't binding properly cos i am flying mode 3, and thought maybe the software may have some bugs. But i tried flying in mode 1 and it the green LED did not illuminate.

So in summary, this is the status right now;

1) I have activated gyro menu
2) tried the normal binding and id binding
3) during the initial binding there is red blinking, but after that no other illumination. as mentioned earlier, i noted that in finless' video on binding there is a green light
4) on spool up, the heli just spins around in anti clockwise direction, indicating to be no tail gyro. But servo direction is correct direction as i add rudder it does move in correct direction.
5) when tilting the heli, no swash compensation/movement, indicating the aileron and elevator sensors not working.

my guess is that it is a faulty gyro. Any other ideas?

Thanks and regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-techie View Post
Yes. Mine compensates. Are your pot controls at 12 o'clock for default settings?

I don't think I'll be much help on the devo tx. I use the 2801 tx.

Generally for the walkera's I own, when the TX gain for the tail gyro is below 50, it puts it in rate mode. Of course you can't set a rate mode on this heli. But just wanted to point that out. I tend to set one side of the switch below 50, so I know I'm resetting the rudder like you would with a pitch tail blade setup.

That way.. when I lift off, it shouldn't spin too hard one way (if I pick it up form a crash, and the tail is away from me), since its generally a HH mode heli. So I flip the switch to rate, then back to HH. I could be wrong on this, but that is how I interpret they way it works for me, as well as all my other setups with the 2801 tx.

You'll prolly get more advice on that Devo tx though.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Try reversing the gear channel and see. Again no green LED means the tail gyro is not seeing gain control above 50. However your green LED could be not working possibly too? The RX on the Genius gyro is on gear channel which should be channel 5. You cant use AUX2 as the RX is not 7 channel.

I just got my Devo 7 radio so I will see what I get. Problem is I am leaving town for a week and cant help you until I return.

Bob
Old 10-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Devo

Ever since Walkera introduced their new line of Devo radios, this is the image that comes to my mind whenever I see them mentioned, lol! "Whip it good!"

johnsma22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its a shame Tom Z is not around at present he had a problem at one time on the Devo 7 where the Rx light would not light up, it was something to do with allocation of gyro switch and as Bob says if gyro is reading below 50% gain the Rx Light is off.

Regards David
DocD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

If the Devo 7 did not take dry cells or 8 nicads I would power it up now and see what I can find. I just cant make it to the store today for batteries sorry...

Bob
Old 10-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guys,

I finally got it to work. Basically bob was right.

The gyro was not activated.

But here's the catch with what happened. I activated gyro on the output menu using the gear switch initially. So that was the start of all my problems.

I finally tried allocating the gyro to the aux 2 dial and the gyro, green light finally initiates.

So with devo 7, please use output>aux2>gyro when programming.

Cheers all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in