Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450X

Blade 450X Blade 450X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HH told me I made a mistake with going from MCPX to 450X

I just purchased a 450X yesterday as I wanted a bigger heli then my MCPX. Every hobby shop, and from what I have read on here many MCPX owners love the 450X and they handle very similar. Am I crazy for making that step? I would appreciate any help in making this transition to the 450X. Coming from a TREX 450 SE I didnt have much issue with flying/hovering it. I would like to know what I can do to tame this down.
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Today I tried my 450x for the first time and was impressed with the agility and fast response.....yeah for now I will keep it on the shelf and continue learning orientation with the mcpx...
godwisper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can tell you that, just by virtue of their size, they are not similar in performance, stability, or agility even. They will fly totally different. That being said, that's actually a compliment for the 450x. If you can sling your mcpx around, and are used to the different orientations, you will be just fine on your 450x.

My flybarless 450 TRex is much easier to fly around than my mcpx. The mcpx isn't bad at all, it's just easier to roll and flip my 450, along with just doing other 3d stuff and sport flying. Pretty much any style of flying is easier done on the larger 450, especially the newer flybarless machines. These new fbl systems are very stable and very precise, which makes it easy on someone just making the transition as well as making it very fun for someone more experienced.

You will love your 450x
// WK2801 // Spektrum DX4e //
jonbailie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

They probably said it's a mistake cause they want you to buy the 130X and the 300X that don't exist yet. Chances of you going from a 450X to the others is probably pretty slim.

The 450X will be different to fly initially then the mCPX. It was for me. I had to actually get used to the power and precision that just wasn't there on the mCPX. A little goes a long way on the 450X! Easiest thing to do is just pop it up into a hover nose out and practice that till you get used to how much stick does what. After that it's pretty similar in it's behavior. At least that was my experience.
Kumba is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Some people will put it into 'Normal' or 'Sport' mode on the BX unit, which are a set of gentled-down throttle/pitch/DR/expo rates. The stock TX-mode gives you 100% of what the heli can deliver.
I had no issue controlling it in TX mode with 100%/INH DRs on the transmitter. A little touch-and-go at first, but settled in quickly.

Isn't this the third time you've posted a topic about this same thing, Barry, or is my memory playing tricks on me? (Taming down the 450X, when it really doesn't *need* taming down if you can fly an mCPX confidently)

And HH are wrong in this case (then again, they thought the mSRX was a good replacement for the mSR, so... grain of salt!). It's *easier* to fly than the mCPX, and I see it as a perfect step up once you have a handle on it.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumba View Post
They probably said it's a mistake cause they want you to buy the 130X and the 300X that don't exist yet. Chances of you going from a 450X to the others is probably pretty slim.

The 450X will be different to fly initially then the mCPX. It was for me. I had to actually get used to the power and precision that just wasn't there on the mCPX. A little goes a long way on the 450X! Easiest thing to do is just pop it up into a hover nose out and practice that till you get used to how much stick does what. After that it's pretty similar in it's behavior. At least that was my experience.
+1 on that! Go for it!
puttekula is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

ok so I adjusted the cyclical response to increased which is one step more aggressive then the default setting. Set my D/Rs to 80 and used normal mode to get used to it.

With that all being said I love this bird. I just did 6 battery packs in my backyard and enjoyed every second of it.

Considering that I have only been flying RC helis now for about 9 days this thing is a dream to fly.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Automotive technician - but really a rocket scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talesin View Post
Some people will put it into 'Normal' or 'Sport' mode on the BX unit, which are a set of gentled-down throttle/pitch/DR/expo rates.
But extreme mode is so much fun! lol
meatwad99si is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 06:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwisper View Post
Today I tried my 450x for the first time and was impressed with the agility and fast response.....yeah for now I will keep it on the shelf and continue learning orientation with the mcpx...
When it comes time to fly your 450X put in some softer dual rates on the elevator and ailerons. I currently fly mine with settings of 60% on aileron and elevator and +30 on expo on both channels. It makes it much easier to get used to. In fact there is a poster on this board who has used 50% on both dual rates. I've tried it and it works fine. It's all a matter of how much sensitivity you want to have in your set-up.

Sure once you are ready to go out and fly some more aggressive manuvers, you would want to put in rates more in the 80/90% and you might want to use less expo, but when you just start out that much control surface movement is going to make the 450 seem to jump around way too fast.

Every new flyer will have their own comfort level and learning curve, you just have to make allowences for that with your control set-up. It is too bad that Horizon Hobby has not taken the time to add this information to the manual. They just tell every new owner who isn't an expert that they have made a mistake and obsolve themselves of any blame if the new pilot crashes right off the bat. Poor way to go about it in my opinion.

I don't understand what makes HH feel that most people who buy a 450X are going to be expert heli pilots. With the price point being what it is and the BNF feature, it would seem to me that most new 450X owners would most likely NOT be of the expert class of pilot.

The 450X really is a sweetheart of a bird, you only need to make a few adjustments so it suits your flying style and comfort zone.
whodothevoodoo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was flying the MCPx (for a couple weeks) before getting the 450x.

I used the following TX settings and it really made the initial transition to the 450x comfortable. I then increased these settings every 5 or 6 flights till I was back to the normal recommended settings.

Throttle
NORMAL 0 - 30 - 65 - 65 - 65
STUNT 75 - 75 - 75 - 75 - 75
HOLD 10% 10% 10% 10% 10%

Pitch Curve
NORMAL 42 - 46 - 50 - 70 - 90
STUNT 42 - 46 - 50 - 70 - 90
HOLD 50% 50% 50% 75% 100%

Travel Adjustment
AILE 60% - 60%
ELEV 60% - 60%
RUDD 100%
PITCH 75%

Initial D/R and Expo
AILE 0 50% 25%
ELEV 0 50% 25%
RUDD 0 75% INH
TDMModels is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great job, spend more time learning on the MCPX its far better for orientation training IMO. And you can really get aggressive with the banked turns to learn the limits faster.

But 9 days flying the 450X is very good. Now go learn nose in before your MCPX tells you off.
Sambuka is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
I just purchased a 450X yesterday as I wanted a bigger heli then my MCPX. Every hobby shop, and from what I have read on here many MCPX owners love the 450X and they handle very similar. Am I crazy for making that step? I would appreciate any help in making this transition to the 450X. Coming from a TREX 450 SE I didnt have much issue with flying/hovering it. I would like to know what I can do to tame this down.
I would be interested to know what they thought you should get instead of the 450X. They don't currently offer anything better. The 300X and 130X are still far off and I can't stand to fly my SR any more after flying the dreamboat 450X. The 400 is obsolete and the 450 3D has an ugly flybar and a tail that isn't as solid as the 450X. If you are pretty proficient with the mCPX and you start slow with the 450X I think you'll do fine.

I've become hopelessly hooked on helicopters. I still love my planes but the heli's are more rewarding and challenging. I'm looking forward to moving the somewhat limited 3D skills I've learned on the mCPX over to the 450X. When I'm as confident with the 450X as I am with the mCPX I'll be a happy, happy camper. Man these things are fun.

Here are a few videos from this week:

mCP X mild 3D and lots of inverted

Blade MCP X Stunts 3D (2 min 46 sec)

mCP X less 3D and more circuits around the field

More Blade MCP X Stunts 3D (3 min 5 sec)

Blade 450 X Normal mode forward flight

Blade 450 X Normal Flight (3 min 38 sec)

Blade 450 X Short flight

Short Blade 450 X Normal Flight (1 min 17 sec)
Blade mSR (retired), Blade 120 SR, Blade Nano CP, Blade mCPx (2), Blade mCPx V2, Blade 130 X, Blade SR (2), Blade SR Huey, Blade 300 X, Blade 400, Blade 450 3D, Blade 450X and most important of all Realflight 6.
WildBlueYawnder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

looking good man!!! you are solid with both helis! Any mods at all to the MCPX?
Old 05-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
looking good man!!! you are solid with both helis! Any mods at all to the MCPX?
Thank you. It's a stock V2. I have a V1 also but I quit flying it after one flight with the V2. Its that much better!

I use Hyperion 250 mah batteries. The V2 Eflite batteries are OK too but the V1 batteries were really weak.

I've never considered brushless. I'm a flyer. Not a modder.

I've had too much fun stock to mess around with mods. Figured I'd wait for Horizon to make a brushless version. I guess the 130X is going to be it. I've got the 130X and 300X on preorder. Whatever comes out of the box is the way I fly em.
Blade mSR (retired), Blade 120 SR, Blade Nano CP, Blade mCPx (2), Blade mCPx V2, Blade 130 X, Blade SR (2), Blade SR Huey, Blade 300 X, Blade 400, Blade 450 3D, Blade 450X and most important of all Realflight 6.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm curious as to the v1/v2 differences you saw, Blue; most of the v2 improvements were just community fixes for the v1 problems that Horizon decided to perform out of the box (swashplate grommets, larger tail rotor). The v2 does use an updated gyro (and assumedly updated AS3X firmware) but the only difference anyone's noticed is that the v2 don't allow BL mods as well, and have a weird random-90-degree-rudder-turn problem crop up now and then. Essentially problems with the new gyro not being able to handle the increased vibrations and (assumedly) a firmware issue.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talesin View Post
I'm curious as to the v1/v2 differences you saw, Blue; most of the v2 improvements were just community fixes for the v1 problems that Horizon decided to perform out of the box (swashplate grommets, larger tail rotor). The v2 does use an updated gyro (and assumedly updated AS3X firmware) but the only difference anyone's noticed is that the v2 don't allow BL mods as well, and have a weird random-90-degree-rudder-turn problem crop up now and then. Essentially problems with the new gyro not being able to handle the increased vibrations and (assumedly) a firmware issue.
I had two V1's and virtually any attempt at a flip resulted in a tail blowout with both of them. I had very little skill at that point so over control was part of the problem plus the very weak Eflite batteries.

I changed to Hyperion 250 batteries and the heli was more fun. Then I changed to the V3 tail and it held better but I had one V3 tail that had a serious problem. When it was installed the tail constantly wagged 3-4 inches and the main motor had greatly reduced power. Horizon replaced the bad tail for me.

With the V2 I experienced the following:

Absolutely no tail blowouts
Better speed controller (noticeable rpm change from normal to stunt-1 to stunt-2). V1 seemed to hit max output at about 80% throttle)
Less nose porpousing during FFF in windy conditions

I offer my videos as evidence I don't have any weird gyro problems.

The main difference that helped my skills progress was the elimination of tail blowouts.

This was my experience with the V2. Your mileage may vary!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
ok so I adjusted the cyclical response to increased which is one step more aggressive then the default setting. Set my D/Rs to 80 and used normal mode to get used to it.

With that all being said I love this bird. I just did 6 battery packs in my backyard and enjoyed every second of it.

Considering that I have only been flying RC helis now for about 9 days this thing is a dream to fly.
Looks like HH was wrong

good to hear you love the 450x

now spread the good news to others
dl5973 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 02:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodothevoodoo View Post
When it comes time to fly your 450X put in some softer dual rates on the elevator and ailerons. I currently fly mine with settings of 60% on aileron and elevator and +30 on expo on both channels. It makes it much easier to get used to. In fact there is a poster on this board who has used 50% on both dual rates. I've tried it and it works fine. It's all a matter of how much sensitivity you want to have in your set-up.

Sure once you are ready to go out and fly some more aggressive manuvers, you would want to put in rates more in the 80/90% and you might want to use less expo, but when you just start out that much control surface movement is going to make the 450 seem to jump around way too fast.

Every new flyer will have their own comfort level and learning curve, you just have to make allowences for that with your control set-up. It is too bad that Horizon Hobby has not taken the time to add this information to the manual. They just tell every new owner who isn't an expert that they have made a mistake and obsolve themselves of any blame if the new pilot crashes right off the bat. Poor way to go about it in my opinion.

I don't understand what makes HH feel that most people who buy a 450X are going to be expert heli pilots. With the price point being what it is and the BNF feature, it would seem to me that most new 450X owners would most likely NOT be of the expert class of pilot.

The 450X really is a sweetheart of a bird, you only need to make a few adjustments so it suits your flying style and comfort zone.
Did you put it in normal mode as well?
fazy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumba View Post
I cant tell you how many times I've flipped my pre-order for the 300x to the 130x to the 300x then back to the 130x. HH probably hates me by now. Thing is I love my MCPX, I have a small back yard and sometimes I just wanna take it out there and learn outside my living room. the MCPX handles wind OK, but i need someting larger...my 120SR as a nice size, my Blade SR was perfect so I initially ordered the 300x. However after thinking about it some more the crashability of the 300x is going to be far worst than the 130x (even though that puny TT gears on the 130x is gonna be a problem )... I also wanted something I can take to hostile environments like the beach or vacations and the 300x aint it.
dendenyc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendenyc View Post
I cant tell you how many times I've flipped my pre-order for the 300x to the 130x to the 300x then back to the 130x. HH probably hates me by now. Thing is I love my MCPX, I have a small back yard and sometimes I just wanna take it out there and learn outside my living room. the MCPX handles wind OK, but i need someting larger...my 120SR as a nice size, my Blade SR was perfect so I initially ordered the 300x. However after thinking about it some more the crashability of the 300x is going to be far worst than the 130x (even though that puny TT gears on the 130x is gonna be a problem )... I also wanted something I can take to hostile environments like the beach or vacations and the 300x aint it.
I've taken my mCPX with me on vacation before. Blade even makes a fairly decent case for it. I wouldn't trust it through an airport though. I wish I could find a decent ATA flight case. I'd love to take my mCPX or mQX with me along with a keychain cam to get some pictures of places. But I just keep thinking of how I would package them with the DX8 so that they survive baggage tossers at the airport.

As far as hostile environments, I would think the 300x would be better since it will have sealed standard servos. Should be easy enough to get it, half a dozen batteries, and a simple charger into a briefcase-sized case. Still not sure what you would do with the TX though.
Kumba is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in