Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default FPV on a Heli

I have been thinking about doing FPV on my helicopter. Already doing AP so mounting a TX to transmit the video is no big thing.. As I thought about it I see the need to have telemetry so you can better tell if your flying straight and level. I just now thought also about how you would know the position of your tail? I see some challenges in doing FPV on a helicopter. Anyone already doing it? Thoughts, advice?
Grimmer04 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default FPV on a Helicopter

I have been thinking about doing FPV on my helicopter. Already doing AP so mounting a TX to transmit the video is no big thing.. As I thought about it I see the need to have telemetry so you can better tell if your flying straight and level. I just now thought also about how you would know the position of your tail? I see some challenges in doing FPV on a helicopter. I see some of you are already doing it? Thoughts, advice?
Old 05-07-2014, 06:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your spotter should be able to tell you if it's straight and level, since he will have it in VLOS at all times.
short fuse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 04:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

That is maybe 60% true. I know from spotting for others while filming, even with binoculars it is hard to tell. Especially when viewing the side of the helicopter just how the ship is lined up. I was more wondering from the pilot perspective (as I have not tried this yet) if you can tell where your tail is. I know from the filming I've done that you can kind of see in the video if your straight.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its easy. Get a decent OSD and you'll have a horizon line. Then if you want to land tail in, fly up to the landing site with the camera facing you, hover, then spin around 180°. Its much easier if you have loiter or position hold.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
jolyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2015, 08:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Like others mentioned, OSD. You can still do without it but it might take a lot of getting used to the way your hardware is set up and calibrating yourself to it. A simulator that does FPV helps too. I use Real Flight 7 and occasionally play DayZ and fly the helis in FPV mode only, which helps with depth perception a lot, since you either fly the damn thing straight or get yourself and your buddies eaten alive by a horde of zombies.
In addition, having some part of the helicopter within the camera's FOV (I have my camera mounted underneath the landing gear and 10% of the top of the screen is reserved for the bottom of the canopy) is very critical because it will let you know if the camera has shifted for whatever reason, letting you know that you can no longer trust your usual estimate of what angle the tail might be at.

Hope this helps.
ignaceous is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2015, 04:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here is my 550 rigged for FPV. Flying old Align APS system but mine does work very well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448751504.630775.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	621988
Old 12-01-2015, 09:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLs View Post
Here is my 550 rigged for FPV. Flying old Align APS system but mine does work very well.

Attachment 621988

That is really sweet!

So, looks like you got her set up to launch those rockets besides?

Gives me ideas for my trex600.

Been doing the "dark arts" for a hell of a long time now, but never with one of my srh's.
If your camera is fixed then tail position is a non issue. Attitude isn't hard to discern either, nor the need of an osd, though it's nice.
Ask anybody who flys a quad 250 with a cc3d. Only thing to really consider, I think, would be that things happen real fast when things go bad with a srh. Best to dumb down her until you're comfortable.
A decent fc with recovery, like Skookum, would really be handy.

There's plenty of vids of people doing very decent 3d with an fpv srh. Main thing before opening your wallet is do your research.

Really like that heli!
Old 12-03-2015, 07:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

[QUOTE= I just now thought also about how you would know the position of your tail? I see some challenges in doing FPV on a helicopter. Anyone already doing it? Thoughts, advice?[/QUOTE]

That is for me by far the biggest challenge of learning to fly my heli with fpv. Unless I'm in fff it's very hard for me to tell if I'm crabbing somewhat sideways in the wind and fff eats up real estate too quickly for the area that I have available to fly in here in NE PA. If you live somewhere where there is wide open spaces to fly I think that it would be much easier.
PA Flyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2015, 07:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's my solution for FPV on a Blade 450X:

The home made "orientation boom" gives me a much needed reference point so I can tell where I am going and what the orientation is. Without it, I found it extremely hard to fly FPV on a helicopter.

Here are a few more details:

https://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=296
Old 03-04-2016, 07:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I did this over 2 years ago and still fly this rig. Uses Align 3GX and Align APS and always has worked quite well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457139623.947511.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	638803
Old 04-27-2016, 06:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here is mine...

Traditional Heli FPV 3.5 km (8 min 26 sec)
Old 05-04-2016, 11:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

nice flight but why was the heli bobing or porpoising ?
StraightUp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightUp View Post
nice flight but why was the heli bobing or porpoising ?
I believe it is a limitation of the FC at that speed...
Old 05-23-2016, 07:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

It needs the PID controller adjusted. You can try tweaking it yourself if there's an option. Look up PID controller on wikipedia for the info you need.
flat tire is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in