Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > Mars/Poseidon

Mars/Poseidon Mars and Poseidon Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2011, 07:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Mars build with Lingo 8 ??

Hey guys,
Just unpacked my lot and "WOW!" Good stuff! Going to build a Mars with lingo 8 motor and jazz 40-6-18 that came with lot. also came with 5 sets of CY425 blades! (as well as others) So i was considering a stock boom with that. My current Poseidon is stretched and i like it but hey,why not i have the parts! LOL! Anyhow wondering what pinion/tail gear sizes should i use? Still basic sport no 3d, looking for the stability and fun response.

Thanks guys,
crickr1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

hey crickr1, with the lingo 8 (4100Kv) motr I use the 10T pinion, and 39T tail gear. The HS is quite high. For good stability I use the 340mm woodies, or radix 350's (with 388mm tail boom). The radix 325mm are a bit short (315mm). There (325's) good for tight rolls and flips. I am guessing. I can;t do flips and rolls.. one can imagine though.

I imagine with the short tail boom, and radix 325's, you would be close to the feel of the trex 450 heli. A bit squirly.
apollo7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you for the tip! Do you know anyone looking fro youngblood cf325S i have a few sets.
I will hold em for now, maybe throw em in when i sell one of the kits.

So the 10 tooth will give me some nice head speed and stability. Great!
Old 08-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

4100Kv w 10T pinion: (calculated for 100% throttle curve)
Hover RPM at beginning of flight: 3221
Hover RPM at middle of flight: 2966
Hover RPM at end of flight: 2863

compliments of ready heli
http://www.readyheli.com/headspeed-calculator.html

the floating head, and 340mm blades provide the stability. The 325's are good too. They provide a different flight style (more wild). I trade back and forth perodically. That way its like flying different machine. I set my throttle (governor or curves) so not to exceed 2800 rpm. It will handle more but i don't like to stress my machine.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

i have two 480 machines. one with the 8-4100Kv, and other with a low watt 3350. I like to cruise with the low HS mostly cause its more forgiving. the higher the HS the more imediate command - movement. if i were to get another motor i would try the scorpion HK 2216-12. its 3350Kv and more power than the lingo 8 @ 375 watts. and with the lower Kv you could use a 11, 12, or 13t pinion. so when my motor finally gives (its 3+ years old) i will upgrade to the 2216-12. the 4100Kv is good motor too. i been running it for over 2 years. it will hum with a 11T and 350's. thats maximum HS for the gazaur (3200rpm). i run it with a 10T for now.

just got done flying, and blowing a few leaves. we just got nice rain storm. 2"
Old 08-22-2011, 07:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just finished the airframe. installed CNC head assembly, Cf stretched boom, slightly longer ,about 15mm, Outrage flybar, think, (it was chrome and liked the look) Now onto electronics.
Lingo 8 with 10t as recommended by Apollo. Servos?? not yet decided. 770 or 550 gyro?
Getting there.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I 'm back to work on the Mars, few changes, Scorpion 4400kv w/scorpion commander 60 esc ( the other motor was not lingo 8) hs65mg cyclic and 5084 rudder w/jr770. the cnc head and longer flybar about 15mm (outrage i think ??) going to order a few cf parts to go with it.
CF landing gear and anti-rotation brkt.May paint body and vert. stab. Ferrari yellow with all the black CF should look hot! W the 4400 it better look the part.
Finished all the electronics tonight, tomorrow I'll install boom and linkage with the gf landing gear for now and hopefully get a nice maiden in tomorrow.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

that 4400 is hot as hell. 10T will blow your mind, and your heli if not careful. plenty of torque to snap the woodies right quick. i imagine the commander 60 is cats meow. you get the V2?
Old 09-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 4400 is a Next D version Scorpion 6, picked up used as well as the Commander.
had a 12t on there wasn't sure about hs then looked back in my old thread and realized it was way too much! Switched back to 10t as per your advice on prior thread. Glad I didn't spool her up! Might set gov for 85% about 3200 for good efficiency . and go from there. I also put a batt alarm on to check flight time. Do you know if I can fit more than a 2200 3s in the mars lower tray? Not looking to go 4s just larger pack.
Went to fly my poseidon yesterday and the tail grip flew off! I just fixed gearing and blew a belt last week,(was on for quite some time, it was due)at least it was as I was landing, about 2ft up.Threw into auto and saved it from a chicken dance! Replaced belt and zip tie on skid,tail must have clipped ground.
So after yesterdays botched flight I decided to put the Poseidon in shop for while, going to do a full tear down and rebuild. So I decided to finish the Mars!Waiting on tail servo so I pulled from the poseidon. Hopefully I can get her finished and Maiden today!
Old 09-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

ya give her full throttle w/12T and that would be interesting. the 4400 is BIG consumer. the biggest lipo i know of (good for the 480) is the TP 2250mAh. i used a 2200 25C and got 5min. w/ no issues. thats was about all i could handle. i'd be shaken bringing her in. for 3S, lipo weight should be kept below 200g., and <105mm in length.

chances are your commander 60 is V2. I seen the new V3 and don't like cause there as long as a banana. 90mm. where in the hell we going to mount that on a 450 size heli? I figure the reason they went back from the double stack (V2) to the enlonggated heat sink (V3) was for better cooling. my gazaur 55 esc got a bit toatsy pushin the 4400 at times, but it never gave out.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

when i got my first gazaur, it came w/ a 3S 1800mAh lipo. now when i look back, i see that was a good thing. great for beginner. made the bird float like balloon. once I leaned the art of flying, then the 2200mAh (180g.) became best 3S lipo for the 480. just my 2 cents.

tip: a little birdie told me that the KP-2236-3 is perfect match for the BIG consumer 4400, and perfect fit for the Gazaur 480!!
Old 09-11-2011, 08:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well still no maiden, never had so many issues. This was a frustrating build.Finally got most of bugs worked out. Still can't get th hold to work Had problems setting up esc, couple little things i.e. 1 of the connectors reverses colors at the ir receiver and if I don't bind within a couple seconds the esc goes into fault, loss of signal, and have to re-bind.I wait about 7 sec after turning on tx then plug in batt. Next when I put th hold on it spools up!??! Had a bad connector on gyro, easy fix still frustrating. Used my rx from my other Gazaur and have no probs with th hold but with this esc???
Equip;
Mars480
Scorpion nextd 4400kv 10t
Scorpion commander 60amp esc
Hs 65mg cyclic
Hsg5084mg tail
jr770 3d gyro
Walkera 2801 tx and 2801pro rx

Same setup on my Poseidon except motor and esc.
also having probs with the cnc head setup. Swash setup level, =length on all cyclic links47.5mm and flybar links45mm,mixing arm/flybar links27.5mm.
The hollow links are at 64.5mm and with 0 pitch 1 blade at 0 and 1 blade at +4 ??????/
Could the cnc grips be off that much?? And yes the mixing arms are on the same inner index as well as the blade grips/mixing arm. At this point I have to stop,double guessing and seeing double.LOL!!

Any help would be great !
Thanks,
Rick
Old 09-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

helicopters have lots of issues (multi systems). no worries, it will come together. don't know much about the hold button other than it should shut the power down when pushed. its also hard to find in emergency. at least for me. i usually look for it after the fact. i know those scorpion esc are sensitive to issue (loose conn., cold solder). they shut down at first sign of trouble. probally a good thing. check your hold position, i have mine @ -10.

Manual-COMMANDER-V2-Series.pdf
right click "Save Target As"

"Could the cnc grips be off that much??" seriously doubt it, unless damaged in prior mishap? having all the links symetrical is good start. are you using the shims with the metal blade grips? the metal grips are 6mm and require .5mm nylon shims for most blades.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks apollo, My last question I forgot to ask was about the blades. Do you put shims below or above blade??
I have the manual, got most issues ironed out.
The grips came with the lot I picked up so could have been, Guess I'll put the plastics on, 1 less thing to worry about.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

for the gazaur woodies, and radix blades i use 1 shim on each side of rotor blade. this makes for snug fit. i use a driver with about the same size shaft as hole in the shim to help hold them in place as i slide them into grips with the blade. i imagine if the blades grips are sqeezed to clamp the blades, this can cause a poor seating and throw off pitch and/or cause failure. i don't think the shims are mentioned in the instructions. mine came with 4 when i bought the upgrade. there a pain to get in, but necesary. http://www.mars480.com/meheclplsh.html
Old 09-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey there,

Sorry about your issues man, but you'll sort them out. I don't have any experience with your TX but your hold setting should have a negative throttle value as apollo7 mentioned.

In terms of the shimming of the blades, ALWAYS put one shim above and one below. To make it a bit easier, I put a little grease on the washers and then "stick" them to the blade roots. It helps keep the general alignment. After that use a driver to ensure they stay in place.

I'm unsure of what could be causing the +4 degrees you're seeing at midstick, have you sorted this yet? Is your swash level? When you fastened the pitch arm to the grip, did you alternate tightening each screw while making sure the fit was flush? If you tightened one bolt then the other, it could introduce a very slight misalignment, but nothing as drastic as 4 degrees.

I've finally got myself setup again, had two flights today. I feel so rusty, I've not flown in a looong time.

B.R.
Amit
DX7
praetorious is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011, 10:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Welcome back Preatorious,
My hold is resolved with a -14( didn't know it went below 0) I had the shims on top of blades and I think that was most of issue. They were not Gaz parts just multiple smaller 1s stacked, probably the problem,ready to place order for parts new shims in cart. Using 1m shim from my Gaui425 on bottom of blade now and its better.

Now i cannot get my tail to hold. Either direction Center stable no shake, as it spools up wants to turn, slight compensate, blow out piro, both directions.Touch left tail blows rt. touch rt tail blows left. im at 85% gain and no diff. Using 770 gyro, same as my poseidon, all equip same except motor and esc. (poseidon gain at 60)
Running 39t on tail. should I pick up to 42t? Would that give me more authority? My Poseidon had the 41t on it w a 3500kv motor solid as a rock except for alt. loss when turning dropped gearing back to 39 and held alt.
With the higher kv motor would the higher gearing help?
I borrowed some parts from my poseidon so I really want to get this mars in the air! Waiting on 2 new rx, tail servo came in, otherwise parts good.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:30 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Added some pics of my Mars (Ying) Does anyone recognize this motor? Could it be an old Lingo 8? Did Gazuar use different colors before they were gold?

Also check some pics in my album Mars 480
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1042.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	334.9 KB
ID:	262510  
Old 10-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not sure, but at some point I remember there being blue motors. They used to come with Z-power motors too I think. Could be one of those?

B.R.
Amit
DX7
praetorious is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

i don't reconize the motor either? looks like a good peice of equip though. does it have good power?

this blue motor is directly from gazaur about 4 years ago. i think it was called lingo 6 or z-power rings a bell? can't remember. it is 3350Kv motor. the bottom is identical as the newer lingo 8 v1 gold color motor in the poseidon. but the newer v1's don't have the chrome band like the older blue motor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1837A.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	262629   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1401D.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	262630  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in