Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450

Blade 450 Blade 450 Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Servo periodically does not work

My front servo has twice failed to respond to an input while doing random other checks on the heli. All I do is apply a slight pressure to the servo arm and it kicks back to life and works as new. I am really good at grounding the machine when it needs to be done (and should be on this one) but I continue to fly it as it has never been an issue. It is probably a coincidence that it has only happened while doing check on the table but it sure does make me nervous.

Has anyone had a servo do this then decide to stop working all together? I think on my next maintenance I will take it apart and have a look see.
Shafto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had one strip while hovering. Luckily not far off the ground. So I took it apart and could not figure how to rebuild it. So talked to my LHS and they said I should replace it, so I replaced 3 of the 4 with Hitec HS-65.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

happy with them?
Old 04-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

So far...I've used Hitec's in all my rc cars and planes. Never had a problem with them.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Might be a short, or a solder connection inside the box come just a little bit off, and when you press it it squeezes it back together. Its either that or a stripped gear. Either way, don't fly it.
buddha2490 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

DO NOT FLY IT!!!

Either there is something inside the servo preventing the gears from turning, most likely a broken tooth, or the servo is just on its way out. I have had two of the stock servos stop working on me. The first time one failed I just happened to notice right before taking off that the elevator servo wasn't moving. The second time it happened a few seconds after take off and went side ways right into the ground. It was the left servo that must have stopped and as I added collective to ascend it caused it to roll.

I would not fly with a servo that is working intermediately. That is just playing with fire. Either upgrade the servos or just send it in to Horizon Hobby and they will replace it free of charge.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

well thanks guys for the input. since posting this topic, the servo failed in flight causing some serious damage. ok just kidding. however, since posting the topic it has started to do this every time I put a battery in. It is grounded. It is very odd though, it is every time I put power on it will do it, then I give the servo arm or even the vertical push pull tube on the swashplate a little bit of pressure and it starts back up again. needless to say it is grounded.

Thanks guys for the inputs!
Old 04-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

My HF Map location

My new favourite servo for the 450 class is the Spektrum H3000. I LOVE my HS65-MG Hitec, but since digital is the new way to go, I prefer the spektrum to the H5065MG.

Don't fly a servo that has issues.
Thalios is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalios View Post
My new favourite servo for the 450 class is the Spektrum H3000. I LOVE my HS65-MG Hitec, but since digital is the new way to go, I prefer the spektrum to the H5065MG.

Don't fly a servo that has issues.
yeah I dont want to get too costly with this machine. It is a budget machine but at the same time I will not buy crap. I will check them out.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My front on my 450x did the exact same thing the other day....touched the arm and it started working!
Rickedstyles is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

shafto. do not fly them. My elevator servo did the same thing once on the bench. I replaced the gears.. But after that I did notice the torque on the servo was still weak.. I thought it would be ok..

During flight, doing backflips, it stuck.. I pushed forward on the cyclic and it was still doing full speed back flips.. My only recourse was hit the TH.. I got lucky and it didn't damage the heli too much, but that was my queue to get new servos..

I just installed Spektrum H3000's. The fit nicely, and have horns that are just the right length. I'll see how they fly this weekend.. Note I had to reverse the 3 servos in my FBL unit for this particular brand..
InFocus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I agree, upgrade and treat yourself and the heli to a nice set of digital servos, Those spectrum servos look pretty nice.
Gaui X5 sweet! Warp 360 KST, B4503D Savox- all beastx, 250 SE flybarred-current shelf queen, 130X, Mcpx BL, Nano cpx, Mini Dragonfly, DX8 AMA #982022 If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering somebody else's dog around.
shreddedpaper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So where is the cheapest place to get the H3000's?
Old 04-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

http://www.experiencerc.com/store/pr...oducts_id=5480

Seems the cheapest that i could find. Anybody have speed specs on these? how about for tail use?

Oops, found it. .09 at 6volts. Must be for cyclic only. Is there a part number for the tail?
Gaui X5 sweet! Warp 360 KST, B4503D Savox- all beastx, 250 SE flybarred-current shelf queen, 130X, Mcpx BL, Nano cpx, Mini Dragonfly, DX8 AMA #982022 If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering somebody else's dog around.
shreddedpaper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow infocus that sounds scary! Called hh after posting earlier and they are sending a new servo...but leary of these now
Rickedstyles is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickedstyles View Post
Wow infocus that sounds scary! Called hh after posting earlier and they are sending a new servo...but leary of these now
ah I called hh and no dice on getting a new one, doesn't bother me though, it has been half a year or so. I call that fair game.

EDIT: I have since taken it apart to inspect it, it all looked good. I flicked the motor a couple times and out of 3 batteries it has yet to do it again. I will definitely look into servos though, I do think that servos time is limited. I do take your guys advice though, I know I am walking a thin line!! If it does it again I will for sure ground it for good. I need servos fast I guess.

also hh said it sounds like a bad potentiometer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in