Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

View Poll Results: could RC heli flying, and competitive 3d flying in particular, be considered a sport
yes 99 33.00%
no 159 53.00%
depends on pilot and activity 42 14.00%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #101 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixmaster Pilot View Post
Your comments are ignored after this comment given it's highly ignorant nature.

Learning a skill does not make something a sport. I fly heli's as my job, and it's taken a long time to get to my skill level, but it's not a sport. If I didn't get paid, and did it for fun, it would be called recreational flying.
Don't mean to come across argumentative but this is an interesting debate.

You fly,so you understand the rigours required for aerobatics. Does this make aerobatic flying, or F1 racing a sport? I don't honestly know. Instinctively I would say no, because they do not fit into what I would consider a sport, but they both have both mental and physical demands, possibly more than other activities I would consider sport. Not casting aspersions on these activities - they just don't fit what my idea of what a sport is, there's no other way to say this.

It boils down as someone mentioned earlier, what the word 'sport' both denotes and connotes. If what the dictionary definition says leaves it wide open to interpretation, then it's connotations we're left with.

And that's quite subjective.

This survey is indeed quite interesting and revealing. Words unfortunately have the tendency to evolve....

As much as I like rc helis and FPSs, God help us if the world's starting to think of activities such as video games and like as sports.

Last edited by spykez; 04-28-2012 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: Actually... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport
spykez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #102 (permalink)
Registered Users

What about the Olympic sport where they shove the weight across the ice and use brooms to get it to stop on a target. That's a sport. I can't remember the name. I don't care sport, or not I enjoy flying. It's a recreational activity.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #103 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

As a mountain biker, it would be hard for me to consider this a sport. It is in my mind a hobby. A very fun hobby but a hobby nonetheless. I can't think of a time I have reached target heart rate doing this but then not all sports feature aerobic activity. I don't really even consider myself a pilot. I prefer the term "flyer". I know that is a separate debate altogether. I know some people, especially those who are aspiring to 3D greatness have a need to feel like they are at some sort of higher level but when it boils right down to it, a middle aged guy flying a model helicopter is in no way at any kind of superior level than anyone else doing anything. Sorry if this sounds bad but this is about as much a sport as civil war reinactment or star trek conventions.
700 size scale Bell Jet Ranger 206BIII, 450 size scale UH-1N, 180 size fpv race/freestyle quad w/Fatshark Dominator V3 goggles, mCPX BL, some edf jets and a plank or two, DX8, AMA# 923167, Clubs: Silver Hills RC, Coeur D Alene Modelers Association
JasonJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #104 (permalink)
Registered Users

Golf isn't a sport. It's something for the average everyman type guy who doesn't have the intellect to have a real hobby. It's instantly socially acceptable and a boon to business.

But it's not a sport. It's something morons do until they die. If they're not playing golf, they're busy watching reality TV. That isn't a sport either, by the way.
laminarjack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #105 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

QUOTE=Hoosiermo1;3894345]What about the Olympic sport where they shove the weight across the ice and use brooms to get it to stop on a target. That's a sport. I can't remember the name. I don't care sport, or not I enjoy flying. It's a recreational activity.[/QUOTE]
Curling

and what about skeet or clay pigeon shooting ?

Sport doesn't have to be physical ... but I draw the line at synchronised swimming
JMPO
Old 04-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #106 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosiermo1 View Post
What about the Olympic sport where they shove the weight across the ice and use brooms to get it to stop on a target. That's a sport. I can't remember the name. I don't care sport, or not I enjoy flying. It's a recreational activity.
curling and its a LOT harder then it looks
go walk out on an ice rink and see how long you can walk with out falling on your ass lol

if shooting is a sport so is this
AMA#948801
Elios000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #107 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can build, setup, and fly a heli well enough, but still can't golf to save my life. How people watch golf is a mystery to me. Golf is on sports channels though, isn't it? Helis are mostly on youtube! I vote NO SPORT!

OUCH!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by laminarjack View Post
Golf isn't a sport. It's something for the average everyman type guy who doesn't have the intellect to have a real hobby. It's instantly socially acceptable and a boon to business.

But it's not a sport. It's something morons do until they die. If they're not playing golf, they're busy watching reality TV. That isn't a sport either, by the way.
Mike2112 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #108 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2112 View Post
I can build, setup, and fly a heli well enough, but still can't golf to save my life. How people watch golf is a mystery to me. Golf is on sports channels though, isn't it? Helis are mostly on youtube! I vote NO SPORT!

OUCH!!!
if being on a sport channel is your defining factor video games and Magic(card game) are sports both are on ESPN and ESPN2 ...
AMA#948801
Old 04-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #109 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elios000 View Post
if being on a sport channel is your defining factor video games and Magic(card game) are sports both are on ESPN and ESPN2 ...
There a some video games that are of sports though. Technicality! Magic has sexy "Helpers", like cheerleaders...SPORT! Helis...NO girls! No sport!
Old 04-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #110 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2112 View Post
There a some video games that are of sports though. Technicality! Magic has sexy "Helpers", like cheerleaders...SPORT! Helis...NO girls! No sport!
orly?
(not me i just googled it)

AMA#948801
Old 04-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #111 (permalink)
Registered Users

They don't count...they're paid! Nice try! No Sport!
Old 04-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #112 (permalink)
Registered Users

so are all the others you said :p
AMA#948801
Old 04-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #113 (permalink)
Registered Users

A sport ,No. But you need to be one for the constant cash outflow.
mott is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #114 (permalink)
Registered Users

How about instead of trying to confine it to sport no sport we consider the other options; sport, competition, game, hobby. Still going with no sport and just because other things like shooting are catagorized as a sport doesn't make our hobby any closer to being a sport. If helis is the closest thing to an actual sport that you do them so be it but that still doesn't make this a sport.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:10 AM   #115 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by spykez View Post
You fly,so you understand the rigours required for aerobatics. Does this make aerobatic flying, or F1 racing a sport?
Sorry if your question is taken out of context, I didn't want to fill the page with your whole post. But yes I consider F1 a sport, it's like Horse Racing. But aerobatics I don't consider a sport, it's a recreational activity. Air racing like the Red Bull is a sport though. Might sound confusing but when you break it down, F1, horse racing and the like all evolved from the most fundemental sport of them all, a foot race. Obviously they have developed into "hey this moves, let's race this!".

As Henry Ford said, "motor racing started 10 Minutes after the second car was built".

Formerly owned - Compass 7HV - Blade mCP X V2 - Blade 400 FBL BeastX
Mixmaster Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 02:12 AM   #116 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by laminarjack View Post

It's okay, I know you hate golf because you are probably just terrible at it. No one hates a sport they are good at.

Formerly owned - Compass 7HV - Blade mCP X V2 - Blade 400 FBL BeastX
Mixmaster Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 04:32 AM   #117 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pocket Billiards is considered a sport. IMO both flying competition and playing professional pool takes most of the same skill sets. eye and hand coordination, pre-thinking moves ahead

Yet both can be done recreational and looked at as a game.
Trex 700L NEO / Mikado Logo 600SX Vbar 6.0/ Trex 470LM NEO, Oxy 2 CC Talon 25 NEO, 450 pro vbar 6.0pro/ Trex 700n DFC OS105HZR, Velocity50 Vbar 6.0pro -Oxy 5 NEO-/Trex 600efl PRO (Night Flyer) vbar/CC HV80 ......ALL VBAR CONTROL
Stevin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 08:04 AM   #118 (permalink)
Registered Users

A sport, no. A drain on my bank account, constantly. A skill, definitely!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #119 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wow lot's of sidelines here... I still don't think of RC as a sport, but I can concede that there are branches that have "sport like qualities"

There are RC manufacture teams, like racing/motor sports...
There are organized competitions....
People race them...

But my "idea" of sports is more like an activity where you get out and get active...
1. Ball (read this as any game where you use a ball)
2. Biking
3. Hiking
4. kayaking
5. Sky diving
6. Scuba Diving
7. Climbing
8. Skiing/boarding

I don't really see competitive games like motor racing, or competition aerobatics as sports either. I know they are physically demanding, but you see fat old men do them all the time...

But again I'll say, this is very subjected to a persons interpretation of the word, and that's mine
Old 04-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #120 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixmaster Pilot View Post
It's okay, I know you hate golf because you are probably just terrible at it. No one hates a sport they are good at.
I don't hate golf. I played it years ago and enjoyed it a little. But I looked to my right and left and noticed something that other golfers had in common, and I just never went back.
laminarjack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in