Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Audacity

Audacity Audacity Pantera Helicopters Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2010, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default What exactly comes with it?

I am looking into a Pantera 50, along with the e-conversion, and I have read every word on the website about it. I think... My biggest question and one I cant seem to answer from the website is this...

What comes with the Pantera 50?

Engine? Receiver? Servos? Blades? Or is it just the airframe and everything else you buy separately? Is it built and ready to go? Or is it in kit form? Does it come with a case of beer? (Just kidding...)

I could be missing all of this info on the website, or maybe not reading it correctly. If that's the case, please point me in the right direction! Looks like a great heli for me, and I have narrowed it down to two options, the Pantera being one of 'em!

Thanks!
Cody
LBCAK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010, 04:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It is a kit (well actually, TWO kits if you do the BOGO offer) that has just the airframe. Blades, receiver, gyro, engine, servos, radio, governor, battery pack, power switch.... all of that is user decision. A lot of it you can get from JB, but some you will have to shop elsewhere.

But all in all, a GREAT buy on a very versatile frame that can be customized as far as the limits of your imagination. A birdie told me that gwarlock is working on one that will mow the grass by itself...
F6Hawk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2010, 05:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tail blades are included.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2010, 05:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I put main blades at first, then changed it. Thought, "Naw, no one will pick that apart." Leave it to PC to notice...

Long time no C, PC!!
F6Hawk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

i was gonna grab a bogo the other day and it looks like it is over.
helipainter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2010, 08:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Excellent, thanks for the clarification guys!

I also don't see the BOGO free anymore. Too bad was an awesome deal!

I know on the website it says if you want to get all blingy than this wasn't the heli for you, however, I am looking into something that will take a 4 or 5 blade rotor head, anyone know what the main shaft diameter is? (8mm hopefully!)

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2010, 08:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nevermind, I'm a slow thinker...

http://www.genesishobby.com/Products...4/Default.aspx

How about one last question, any word on what size electric motors this thing will be capable of using?
Old 05-21-2010, 08:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

they have a 10mm shaft, same as any 600

JB has a 4 blade that if you want that, get his. Is made by and for the p50. Century, vario also make nice 5 blade heads, the hinged century is really nice. One thing about fuselages and scale heads is the opurtunity for the blade to spin around and whack the boom (fuse). Most scale type heads this big have two blade bolts to keep this from happening. But as you know, can clean house and be a very expensive mistake to let a blade touch anything but air.

I'll be grabbing one of JB's 4 blade heads soon just to play with on a pod and boom. They are pnp and don't need stabilization, should be a blast. More made to fly and crash IMO than the others mentioned

I run the scorpion 4035-800 on phoenix 85hv, soon to be 8s
Old 05-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Scale body isn't something I am going to be looking into anytime soon I don't think. Although, the MD500 is by far my favorite real life heli, and I and seen a lot of them on r/c helis. So who knows.

I am looking for the 4 or 5 blade head because I want the extra stability. Ideally a 4 blade head with a huge motor would be perfect, but it has to be electric.

Last edited by LBCAK; 05-21-2010 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: Cant spell
Old 05-21-2010, 08:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

the motor i reccomended is 5 hp, that is pretty big

try jb's head, sounds right up your alley. Heli headcase designed the head and flies it on E like you want
Old 05-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by helipainter View Post
the motor i reccomended is 5 hp, that is pretty big

try jb's head, sounds right up your alley. Heli headcase designed the head and flies it on E like you want
So far I like the "Scorpion HK-5035-500" the best. Seems to be the largest motor Scorpion makes for 600 sized helis. I am looking into other brands as well, but have been hearing good things about Scorpion.

EDIT: Oops, thats 800 class, maybe I should go smaller... ha ha

The Scorpion HK-4225-610 Limited Edition is a little better than the 4035-800, but it's also twice the price...

Last edited by LBCAK; 05-21-2010 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: Not reading again...
Old 05-24-2010, 08:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBCAK View Post
So far I like the "Scorpion HK-5035-500" the best. Seems to be the largest motor Scorpion makes for 600 sized helis. I am looking into other brands as well, but have been hearing good things about Scorpion.

EDIT: Oops, thats 800 class, maybe I should go smaller... ha ha

The Scorpion HK-4225-610 Limited Edition is a little better than the 4035-800, but it's also twice the price...
The motor choice is really going to be dependent on the number of cells you are considering and the head speed desired. I'm flying my 4-blade heads in the 1200-1650rpm range and from 6S to 10S packs. Motor KV for my needs in this configuration is 400 and 450Kv. If you have a particular desire for a speed, post it here and I'll clue you in on the combination that will work 'best'. Oh, the 4025-xxx series Scorpion motors have plenty of power available for almost any 50-size heli needs. I just wish the Kv went below 640 without having to move up to the 4035 series frames.
heli-headcase is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2010, 11:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by heli-headcase View Post
The motor choice is really going to be dependent on the number of cells you are considering and the head speed desired. I'm flying my 4-blade heads in the 1200-1650rpm range and from 6S to 10S packs. Motor KV for my needs in this configuration is 400 and 450Kv. If you have a particular desire for a speed, post it here and I'll clue you in on the combination that will work 'best'. Oh, the 4025-xxx series Scorpion motors have plenty of power available for almost any 50-size heli needs. I just wish the Kv went below 640 without having to move up to the 4035 series frames.
I'll be honest, I know nothing about head speeds yet. I am reading everything I can before I get a new heli. I need lift, in the end I'd like to mount a small camera with transmitter under the camera, and although I am looking into an ultralight HD camera, I would like the heli to fly as stable as possible. I am not doing any 3D, and dont plan to. Just want something to stay upright and in the air for the most amount of time possible.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

While it sounds as if the electric conversion kit will be available very soon, it has not yet been released for public consumption yet, nor is the 4 blade head ready for purchase. JB has advised that we'll be the 1st to know when these items are ready to ship.
Saved to the uttermost!!!
forvols is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2010, 03:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by forvols View Post
While it sounds as if the electric conversion kit will be available very soon, it has not yet been released for public consumption yet, nor is the 4 blade head ready for purchase. JB has advised that we'll be the 1st to know when these items are ready to ship.
Is it safe to assume e-conversion will be a modification to the original frame? Meaning, I could go ahead and get the P50 now, build it 80%, then add the conversion. Or is it going to be an entirely new offering? (New frame, gears, shafts, etc.)

EDIT: Sign me up for the electric conversion. No questions asked, I want it...
Old 05-24-2010, 09:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Because all of the talk thus far has been "conversion kit" talk, I'm of the understanding that it will be a true conversion, meaning exisiting Pantera's can be converted to an electric model.

I would think that it would be easier to wait to build the kit so that you actually do the conversion as you build rather than having to go back and"undo" something . Guess that just boils down to exactly how the conversion goes about doing things.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

You do get 2 Pantera's in the BOGO.
Trex 600 ESP, Gaui 425
edhall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 01:03 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I haven't seen the kit, but i remember jb telling us that any electric/gasser conversion kit like this will fit any of the pantera kits present and future.

What would be the cats meow is if there was a flat out complete p50 kit without the nitro parts and with the electric parts. P600 if you will

Ed, i'm pretty sure BOGO is over

The gearing would depend on the motor/voltage combo. If you come up with 17-19k of rpm out of a brushless, no matter how you do it you will be running the stock nitro gearing. Other ratios are doable but the idea is to get the right motor. I can carry 5000mah of 12s no problem. there is 55mm of room between the frames. My 4035 is right around 50mm wide outer diameter. the -800 is the hottest one i could find in the spec which is why i ran it. it wants 8s with the stock nitro gearing. Super hot rod..... i mean power galore. More than the heli can handle, BBC on steroids and super light, excellent handling
Old 05-25-2010, 05:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by helipainter View Post
Ed, i'm pretty sure BOGO is over
Not sure if it is or not... JB's banner adds are still running with the BOGO offer. Remember that the BOGO was never available online, only via phone orders as indicated on the offer.

Not saying it's not already over, but I'd think JB would have a hard time not honoring one as long as the adds are running. If the offer is still open, I don't see how he can afford to run it much longer - it's been available for a good while now. At some point JB has to say "they've had their chance".
Old 05-25-2010, 07:55 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Darned tooting JB will honor the price a long as the advert is running! Here's what happened folks. I planned to kill off the deal but then Radio Control Heli Pilot magazine ran a review of the Pantera 50 in Volume 3, 2010, pages 86-89 and mentioned the "deal", which tied my hands. No, not really but I felt it tied my hands and thus, I decide to continue to honor the deal by offering the special (it seems fair to do so until the next issue). That said, I won't run it indefinitely. FWIW, the review is by an Align fanatic (in another review he mentions having somehting like sicx of their products) and while he clearly hated our canopy (fitting an Align 700 canopy instead and even going so far as to photograph our model in white only, e.g. no decals) he nevertheless didn't find it wanting otherwise. It's a fine review, with a well balanced viewpoint. In fact, I must compliment the author (whom I do not know) because he has a nifty way with words, which left me satisfied overall with his fair outlook (largely because even I don't love the canopy - in retrospect).

With respect to the XE conversion, yes, the idea is to be able to switch back and forth at will, e.g not paint yourself into a corner. Also, while I don't plan to offer an electric from the get-go, we'll see what the market says - again, I'm notinto painting myself into a corner either.

Another thing, with respect to what comes with a Pantera; if you review the Equipment List.pdf within the Documents TAB http://www.genesishobby.com/Products...1/Default.aspx

. . . this page opens in Overview, then is follow by Accesories, and Documents, etc. you'll see what I feel is necessary equipment. By extension, reading between the lines so to speak, it's easy to determine what else you need to add to complete the model, e.g. engine, muffler, avionics, blades. The latter, for example, aren't included. Why not? Simply because no matter what I do, I'm wrong! If we include carbon fiber and a beginner smashes them quite soon it's wasted money whilst an expert has another brand preference. Include woodies instead and an expert uses them to mix a 5-gallon bucket of paint. My response? Why make everyone pay for what everyone doesn't want? Consequently, we leave it up to you and for our part, we offer plenty of choices ranging from inexpensive woodies, through FRP and carbon blades ranging from $45 to $100.

Finally, I know I have been promising it for a while but hoipefully today I will have servo information on the website. Search for DSW613HB and DSW613MG. I also have an inexpensive gyro coming soon so we'll have a nearly complete package (sans engine, receiver, and transmitter) for those who want a one-stop shop. Maybe we'll even offer these some day as well.
AMA # 47381, IRCHA #745
jbeech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in