Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics

JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics JR and Spektrum Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2004, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Jr 500T Setup " According to John Garst "

These are some drawing John made for while it was raining one day @ Blaqcksheep........Thanks John..........I am sharing this as requested by Alan . Alan let us know how it works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pg3jr500t.jpg (898.1 KB, 2590 views)
File Type: jpg pg2jr500tsetup.jpg (796.2 KB, 2165 views)
File Type: jpg pg1jr500tsetup.jpg (749.8 KB, 2357 views)
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2004, 07:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Wow clint thanx, I will try to do this tonight after work. Why don't they put this info in with the gyro ?? I suppose they figure those who buy this gyro are already wizards with the radio.. Alan
porsche is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2004, 09:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry Alan that I did not get you this info. Thanks!!! Clint for coming up with it. I have been too busy lately to much with helis.

I submitted a cleaned up version of these instructions to Horizon(JR) a long time ago at their request after testing one of the proto-type 500T gyros. I never saw a change in the instructions as they were going to do, don't know what happened. :?:

Anyway, if set up like this, the gyro performs great and holds/performs second only to the Futaba 601.

Later,

Toxic Racing Motors
IRCHA #1716
bigrcr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2004, 01:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

THis is good to have as I have one of these 500's sitting in the basement destined for my R30 next spring.
Spitfire_mk5 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2004, 05:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for the info John. You should get the info to Rick's and get it on his sight too. If any one can get a cleaner version of this I would really like to see my version replaced to make it easier to read. I had these papers sitting in my truck waiting for a pilot in need. Thanks fo your efforts John. :idea:
Old 12-27-2004, 07:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintstone
If any one can get a cleaner version of this I would really like to see my version replaced to make it easier to read
Draft 1 -- the 10 minute job, someone else can add the chart. :cool:
I'll work on an extended version as well. Though other then the swash select I don't see anythign to do with CCPM in what i wrote, did I miss something?

PS: could we please allow .rtf extentions for upload
Attached Files
File Type: doc ccpm500tjr.doc (27.0 KB, 1486 views)
Spitfire_mk5 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2004, 07:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Whoa!! This first part is the instructions for getting into the "secret" menu in the JR radios and has nothing to do with the 500T. You can do this to enable CCPM mixing for the radios that are not set up for it already.

A disclaimer!!!!!!! If you go to the "secret" menu be very careful! You can screw up a lot of stuff getting into this part of the transmitter programming!!

The second part of the instructions is for actually setting up the 500T.
These are two seperate sets of instructions!!

Hope this helps!!

Later,

Toxic Racing Motors
IRCHA #1716
Old 12-28-2004, 08:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you have downloaded the CCPM doc. that Spitfire posted, please download it again as it should be more informative now and have less confusion. It is actually 500T instructions and the CCPM swash set up for older radios that don't have CCPM turned on.

Thanks Spitfire!!!! :wink:

Toxic Racing Motors
IRCHA #1716
Old 04-14-2005, 01:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

could you guys offer some tips on setting this up with a 9chp using a 129dp with a 8700g servo.
reefguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2005, 05:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
A disclaimer!!!!!!! If you go to the "secret" menu be very careful! You can screw up a lot of stuff getting into this part of the transmitter programming!!
You can do worse than 'screw up' - you can completely fry the CPU. Be EXTRA cautios wandering around in there....

madrcpilot77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2006, 02:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm try to digest this info.....and its a lot of good stuff....however one thing is incorrect and another issue I question how it possibly could effect the gyro...

1) When you set the gain for the 500T gyro using the Gear Channel to use the Gear Switch to switch modes...... +0 to +100 is HH and 0 to -100 is rate mode.
"0" sensitivity at 50% is only when using JR's gyro software when it is activated and you are plugging the single lead into the appropriate channel (Aux 2 for 9303)

2) I fail to see how D/R exp has a direct effect on the operation of the gyro. This would be possible if the Gyro was sending its "commands" back to the transmitter and then the transmitter sends them to the servo.....but thats not what is happening. The Gyro is plugged directly into the Rudder and "directly" controls it.
Now, when you give rudder "stick" inputs, expo will certainly soften the servo movements and possibly cause the gyro to react less aggressively. But this is Active Transmitter Control.....not passive control by the gyro. Only Gain is being controled by the transmitter on the appropriate channel.

Enlighten my If I'm missing something, but after extensive bench top testing and experimenting.....I fail to find any evidence otherwise
cwallace is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2006, 06:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can tell that you have only bench tested so far. If you flight test the gyro you WILL find that what is above IS TRUE:

Actually there is nothing incorrect. The instructions specifically state the set-up 0-100% being for "gyro sensitivity" control in the transmitter. If you want to set gain and HH/normal modes using a gear switch you are right. The instructions were for someone setting the gyro up using the gyro functions at an event.

The "dual rate and expo" on the rudder channel are control functions for the gyro.

The travel adjust of the rudder is set for 150% each way and left alone as a default. This 150% each way in essence sets the gyro to be very sensitive so that it has great holding power.

The rudder dual rate is then used as a "travel adjust" or "ATV" for the rudder. If this amount is not reduced, the model will have nearly an uncontrollable pirro rate and if full stick is used the rate may blow the gear-train (ask me how I know).

The rudder expo will in essence set how hard or soft the tail hits (stops and starts).

Later,

Toxic Racing Motors
IRCHA #1716
Old 03-24-2006, 11:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

John,

Thanks for the reply....and yes I am referring to setting up the gyro on the gear channel and using the gear switch to switch modes.

As for as "how hard or soft the tail hits".....yes in response to a manual stick input.....but in no way can the expo function affect a gyro command to the rudder servo since it goes directly through the gyro to servo, not passing through the transmitter. IF it does, there is something "magical" going on here....like a two way channel between the RX and TX...... the signal lead only controls gain, and that is a one way connection

Cw
cwallace is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2006, 01:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think you are both in agreement about what effect the rudder expo has on the flight charecteristics. The difference is how you are imagining what expo does to the gyro.

It does nothing. Expo is expo. It softens sensitivity around center. Yes, this would translate into "how hard or soft the tail hits" during flight.

With a bunch of expo, if you had lightening fast hands and could center the rudder stick within the time it takes for one PCM frame, the tail would "hit" as hard as though you didn't have any expo. However in the real-world, centering the rudder takes several PCM frames and expo does what expo does... softening the effect.

The gyro never knows what your expo setting is. It just knows that you are somehow extra smooth around center. Every gyro, not just the G500T has this same behavior when using rudder expo.

The Dual Rate discussion is more interesting.

Just like the gyro has no idea what your expo setting is, it also has no idea what your ATV or dual-rate settings are.

If you set your rudder stick endpoints to +/- 150% and then set Dual Rate to 50%, that's exactly the same as setting your rudder stick endpoints to +/- 75% and setting Dual Rate to 100%.

I'm not saying that dual rate isn't helpful, I use it for slowing down my piro rate (even slower) for learning some tricks.

I'm just saying that setting the endpoints to +/- 150% has no beneficial effect when you immediately dial it back to something lower using dual rates. You might as well just dial it back to whatever max piro rate you want in the ATV. Your preference may vary. I'm just saying that it's the same result and the gyro never knows the difference.

-Mark
marked23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2006, 12:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does the same thing apply on the G7000T because I’m having problems with it just can get it to work with both of my radios 10x & 9x

What Goes Up Must Come Down
www.kuwaithobbytime.com
q8hobbytime is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2006, 09:37 AM   #16 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Wicked,

I just started using the 7000T and so far it's a good gyro. I still don't have it exactly where it needs to be but it's close. I don't have it in front of me right now but I'll post back on how mine is set up in my 10X. I'm not having any problems with mine, I just need t odo some more fine tuning on it.
Gary O is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2006, 08:28 AM   #17 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Please forgive me if this question seems stupid but i'm VERY noob at programming or setting gyros.

Well, I have a 500T but I'm not flying a CCPM heli nor am using a JR TX, does this settings apply to my case???
marcelo_sp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2009, 06:47 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK
Kind of a newbe so go slow. I have a Trex 500 with the JR500T gyro & I've got holding & some wag issues. Looking at your instructions it appears my set up is all wrong from infor I got befor & JR instructions.
My current set up in my Dx6i is as follows
ATV end points = 96 left // 100 right
Gyro gain in gyro menu = 64
no duel rate dialed in period ( was told I did not need this by another person due to my flying style which is still fairlly basic. I do roll, loops & front flips. FF flight. Want to start working on backward loops but do not have any faith in my tail to hold it through the manouver
expo = 40% rudder
Servo control set up way below 16-18 mm. At those settings wag was much worse and again another person in a differant forum said to bring the ball link closer to the center of the servo. not sure of current distance at this time but last hole closest to center on control horn.
I get tail blow outs in backward flight
Tail blow outs in windy conditions
and wag on & off
What do you suggest for settings in my Dx6i ?
I'm using an align DS520 tail servo
Gyro mounted behind main rotor on gyro tray
Thanks
Jim R
Blade MSR
Raptorg2zman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Thumbs up

I know this thread has been sleeping for a long time.
A friend of mine bought two used helicopters, on one was the JR 500T.

It had been crashed and had all the wires cut except for the sensor wire.
It was easy to tell which wire went where after opening the case and looking at it.
So. I replaced the wires and gave it a bench test.
Seemed to be working fine.
I then placed it on a raptor 30 and read thru this thread and many others across the internet!
This one gave the best details and seemed to be on the money!
I got it setup in my radio and then went out and did a hover test!
At a low headspeed the 90 gain was solid, but weak.
So, I landed and start a process of getting the headspeed where I wanted and setting the gain where it is needed.
Well at the end of the process I ended with a headspeed of 2100 and gain setting at 55.
The tail held awesomely forwards and backwards. there was no blow-out going backwards as fast as I could go. The tail held great. I am very impressed with this gyro.
To bad JR didn't, drop the price on them to compete withe the 401. Because at this time I turly believe it is better than a 401.
The setup of this gyro sure is a pain in the booty. But the rewards are worth it.
Thanks for reading.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in