Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2014, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New friend / co-worker now a heli buddy -

And his furry friend - now a heli buddy ( or possibly heli "eater" )..

A fellow that hired on where I work a couple of months ago - after pulling up in the mornings and seeing me flying about twenty times - came over and commented how cool he thought the helis looked in the air and that he bet it was a lot of fun flying them.

Of course it took me no time to introduce him to the hobby and shortly thereafter I loaned him a MSR and a CX2 with a radio to play with at his home.

After he had them for a few weeks he told me they were great fun but would like something maybe a little bigger but not too big as he would probably fly mostly in his back yard. He asked me what I thought and of course I said it just depended on how big the area was and ended up being invited to his house to check it out.

He has a nice fairly big back yard - only possible drawback - it backs up to the Lafayette River which may turn in to a hazard for a noob.

He also has this "awesome" cat - Tiki - that maybe some of you are familiar with - I was not. It is a "savannah" which is a cross between an serval ( a wild cat found in Africa ) and a domestic cat. What an awesome creature - although I would have to say it's more along the lines of an "exotic animal" than what your normal person would have as a house cat...

1st pic is a "glamour shot" of Tiki.

2nd pic - my friend John proudly showed me his flying skills and landed the MSR on top of the beam in his kitchen. Upon doing so - in about two micro seconds Tiki went from the floor to the kitchen counter to where she is shown on top of the beam. If you think it looks like a good distance from the counter top to the beam - it is - this fella can leap. You will notice the MSR was not still on the beam for the pic - John took off pretty quick after Tiki came up to prevent it from being eaten..

3rd pic - John had seen me flying my scale MD500 but had never seen it up close so asked if I could bring it in for show and tell. I walked through the door and set it down for a second and Tiki came running up and John caught this pic. My scale is predominately yellow and the best we both could figure is Tiki thought it was the biggest damn canary he had ever seen and it was "chow time"..

We had a blast that evening both with the helis and the kitty cat and John looks forward to learning more and I look forward to mentoring him to the best of my ability ( I'm far from being a pro ).

And I now have two new awesome friends - doesn't get any better than that
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	518148   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	518149   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	518150  

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
blade-man is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: New friend / co-worker now a heli buddy -

Very cool! And Tiki is a beautiful cat.

Sent using Tapatalk.
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 09:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Very cool to get a co-worker involved. Instant flying brother. Good for you!!

Serval cats are cool. This one belongs to Tony Whiteside's Brither-in-law. Name Kodo. More like a dog than a cat, the thing can jump just like you are talking about, it is AMAZING if you have never seen one. 7' + from standing still. You would never believe it if you don't see it for yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2246.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	518163  
Old 06-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Those are amazing animals indeed.

I'm not generally a cat person, but have considered an Ocicat. They look very much like the Serval and Savannah cats, but are slightly less demanding and also very intelligent (can be trained to fetch, etc...).

http://bit.ly/TwvxdE
Old 06-25-2014, 11:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillJames View Post
Very cool to get a co-worker involved. Instant flying brother. Good for you!!

Serval cats are cool. This one belongs to Tony Whiteside's Brither-in-law. Name Kodo. More like a dog than a cat, the thing can jump just like you are talking about, it is AMAZING if you have never seen one. 7' + from standing still. You would never believe it if you don't see it for yourself.
You said a mouthful there about their jumping abilities Will. Had I just walked in that room and was told that feline "jumped" up on that beam - I more than likely would have said - "yea - uh huh - right" ? But - seeing IS believing...

This little beast in long, lanky and nothing but muscle. My buddy says he eats like a horse ( has a penchant for raw steak in addition to his dry food ) yet I bet there isn't a half ounce of fat on it.

Oh - and Tiki has another trick. He can perch on the bar that's several feet up on the refrigerator, stretch up and tap the ice maker to make ice come out. Then when he gets enough on the floor he plays with it. John and his wife try to make sure they lock the icemaker when not in use...

Definitely an awesome pet but I will stick with my sweet little Calico - she's a lover, not a high flyer or fighter...

Old 06-25-2014, 12:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome pictures, want one!!
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 01:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxiplx View Post
Awesome pictures, want one!!
To be honest with you - me too...

"BUT" - google these little beasts and look at what they sell ( or can ) sell for..

Yea - boy howdy - think I will just stay content with having a friend that has one I can romp with occasionally ...

Old 06-25-2014, 01:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Servals are very cool! Very expensive too like you said!

I have a Bengal - it's a cross between an Asian Leopard cat and a domestic.

Bowser:

He is my best buddy. Totally attached to me. Waits for me at door when I get home, sits on my lap whenever I'm sitting, calls me, he even comes into the shower and stands there while I shower. hahahaa... Weird, but if it makes him happy it's cool.

This is his favorite place to lay:

He'll lay on my shoulders till I make him get off. hahaaa
Old 06-25-2014, 01:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade-man View Post
To be honest with you - me too...

"BUT" - google these little beasts and look at what they sell ( or can ) sell for..

Yea - boy howdy - think I will just stay content with having a friend that has one I can romp with occasionally ...
So I can either by one of these cats or a car. $12,000 - $25,000. And I thought heli's were costly.

T-Rex 600N | T-Rex 500 ESP | T-Rex 500 GF | T-Rex 250 (Love this little bird) | 22 year old Shuttle ZXX
Ozz58 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in