Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 500X

Blade 500X Blade 500X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 05:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Heli wants to roll during flips

Hi.
Wondering if anyone else has this problem or knows how to cure it. Sometimes when I flip my 500X it gets a rolling motion during the flip. For example I will be hovering upright, I then flip the heli forwad to but part way through the flip it starts rolling to the right. It is not me on the sticks. I flip all my other helis dozens of times per day. Something odd is going on here. I just rebuilt the bird after my AR7200BX failed. There is a new one in there now and I have meticulously gone through the setup. I needed to change some settings (gains and tail dynamic a bit) to dial here in and she is flying fine other than the roll problem during the flips and the tail not holding during fast backward flight (the tail never held well on this bird). My mechanical setup is very precise as well and done with a JR Digital Pitch Meter. I know things are dead on as far as the swash being level and zero degrees of pitch. I will say that in general this is one sloppy bird. The servos have slop, the swashplate has slop and the main blade grips are sloppy on the feathering shaft (this is due to the slop in the bearings, the bearings are new but low quality in my opinion).
Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 05:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try increasing the head gain a little on your ar7200bx. Just turn pot #1 a little clockwise and see if this helps. If you turn it up too high you may get a bit of head wobble. Worth a try imho.

Cheers,
TomC
Now also a FPV addict; Quads and Planes (soon to try heli's!)
TomC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 08:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

how does it do at doing piros? if it leans on those your swash might not be level check it on the ground between throttle hold and throttle hold off.

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 10:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I will give those things a try.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Dom,

Do you steer full forward when flipping her? Could you try with less input, just for a test? My thesis is the head mechanics get close to binding when you push full stick, so perhaps it could be the swashplate can't move freely and will thus tend to roll right on max input, or maybe it's just vibration resulting from binding mechanics (we have a 2600 rpm main rotor on top haven't we ;-) ) and the Beast might not like that.

Try a slower roll, or try at a different headspeed to find out.
Hope it helps.
Superholgi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is a good question. I think I may be at full deflection during some of these flips and rolls. I will try a less aggressive flip and roll and see if that makes a difference.
Thanks!
Old 07-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Beast in stock location ? or moved to on top ? vibration ?

cheers
Warts
Warts is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi.
Stock location and no vibes. Very smooth and stable in a hover and forward flight.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I have been giving this issue lots of thought when I had an epiphany. Perhaps I was not getting an elevator input...maybe it was yaw. During the flip if the tail was not holding the nose would drift 1/2 way through making it look like a bit of elevator. So I decided to set up a couple different gains between two flight mode to test my theory. In the first mode with less gain, the bird exhibited the problem I have been complaining about. Switching into the next mode (same head speed for both) with higher gain completely eliminated the problem and the Heli rolled like a drill bit! Thanks for all the suggestions as they helped me get thinking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in