Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2015, 12:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default TRex 250 or.......?

So the indoor flying season is almost ready to start again. I've been flying my old B130x as my main indoor heli since they were first released but it's getting worn out. I'm thinking that it's finally time to replace it. I'm not a beginning flyer. I am fully capable of doing many 3D maneuvers. To give you an example, I'm finally working on getting piro flips down. In fact I was using my B130x to help me out with them. I've been flying for about 9 years and even train other people to fly helis.

I used to have an old TRex 250 SE and I was never able to get it to fly to my liking. The tail was terrible. I could get it to hold in a basic hover or slow forward flight but as soon as I tried to push it, it would either blow out or wag badly. I tried pretty much everything and was never able to get to fly well. I finally sold it about 2 years ago.

I love my big helis. In fact I don't, normally, even consider a heli unless it's at least a 550 size and I prefer 700 size and up. In fact once the weather gets better, even my little B130x doesn't see much airtime. Pretty much all I fly are my big helis because they just fly better.

I know the Canadian Align distributer very well and he's been pushing hard for me to get one. He insists that they're vastly improved over my old SE. I do trust him but then he also has something to gain from it as well. I'm really not sure what to do. For some reason everything new is related to quads or beginners and I'm really not interested in either of those types of helis.

So I guess my questions:
Would I actually enjoy the new TRex 250 pro? Also, is the new Pro edition really that much better than my old SE was? Also, I wouldn't want the 3GX, I'm a big fan of the Skookum FBL controllers. Has anyone used the SK540 on one of the new TRex 250 pro? What about the new Align GPro? I got to fly a TRex 800 with the GPro this summer and I was impressed. I'm really considering getting that combo for next summer. Does the GPro fly well on the 350 pro?

I think that's it for now and sorry about the long essay. Thanks.

Yardbird 700, B-130x, T-Rex 600 Nite-Rex, T-Rex 800 and Oxy 2.
ve7nly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2015, 01:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the T-Rex250 Pro DFC, I had problems with it before I took out the 3GX and replaced it with Spartan Vortex. The 250 Pro DFC is now may favourite heli, I can take it anywhere as it small and it flies very very well.

Get one you will love it.

Some pics of mine below with everything including FBL and receiver mounted inside the frame.

Toocool4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2015, 04:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think the pro is that much different, but with a good FBL, good tail servo, and the knowledge on this forum you can certainly get a 250 flying well.

I actually fly a 250 SE with a Spartan Vortex VX1e and love it. The Vortex made a huge difference over the 3GX, and I've also done some work to improve the tail performance. I can happily fly funnels, stall turns, stationary rolls and piro flips in my back garden and I'm working up the courage to try a piro loop :-)

You need a fast tail servo, but I wanted to keep my model light, so I went for a DS76t, plus Chinese weights on the tail, and the stock 37mm plastic blades. That plus a larger pinion let's me run 4200-4500rpm and the tail holds beautifully and I get around 4m30s of 3D flight out of it.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2015, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

You still need to do the chinese weight mod to them? Hmmmmm........ Not sure I like that.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My flying is similar to myxiplx. I also use the DS76t for its speed and light weight, but I don't use the chinese weight mod. I do use a larger tail blade (kbdd 40mm) and a AR7200bx.

The tail holds great for me, and with a 950mAh battery I get 5 and 1/2 minutes of funnels, tic-tocs and piroflips. (actually my timer is set at 5:40)

With my small flying space, I'm much more comfortable with this heli than even my slightly larger 300X, or X2.
Murph_d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2015, 03:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ve7nly View Post
You still need to do the chinese weight mod to them? Hmmmmm........ Not sure I like that.
I know the DS76t is a weaker servo, so I didn't want to take any chances. There are a lot of people just throwing a fast and strong servo and having great results with just that, but one of my goals for this 250 was to get it under 300g to keep the disc loading down.

All it ultimately needs is a fast servo on the tail, the DS95i is still the top notch servo for an easy fix for this, its a plug and play fix for pretty much any tail issues on the 250 :-). But there are a lot of choices now, and people are using a few servos with good results.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

So are you guys saying that I shouldn't bother with the Align servos?

Oh, and is there anyone on here who is flying one with the G-Pro?

Last edited by ve7nly; 09-21-2015 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: Added a question
Old 09-22-2015, 12:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

They're fine on the cyclic, and OK on the tail until you push it hard. But if you want the tail to work better than you remember you want as fast as possible a servo on the tail. Anything with a speed of around 0.04 of lower will likely be great.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well then that sounds like something I better take into account when I'm looking at my costs.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the 130x and Trex250 Pro DFC. The Trex250 is much more difficult to configure.

I suggest to take the AR7200bx (or Microbeast) instead of the 3GX. Put the AR7200bx on the right side.

The Align products are much more durable than Blade helis. Therefor the Trex250 DFC is a good step forward.

The only tricky thing is to get the Trex250 tail wag out. The 250 sometimes shakes horrible.

A good smooth start to lower paramter D in the AR7200bx parameter menu.
Default is average: LED red solid.
You can set this to low: LED red flashing
or you set it to very low: LED purple

Also lower Poti 1 by 45 degrees (counter clockwise).

Throttle has to be high: 0,95,95,95,95
Pitch: 40,45,50,75,100

Tail Gyro low: 25%

To start with low Parameter D settings will stabilize your heli. Later you can higher these values.

Sven
lahannsven is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2015, 02:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have GPRO on my 250 PRO, its awesome. Also have the ds95i on the tail.
TREX 250 PRO,Talon15, GPRO, Zeal ----TREX 500 EFL PRO, GPRO, RAILS ----2x TREX 450PRO V2, 1xGPRO&1xBRAIN, Talon35, RAIL , Zeal ---- SAVOX powered TREX500 EFL in Roban scale UH1-N ---- TREX 600 EFL PRO, GPRO, RAILS ---- DX9 ----
TR450ZS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2015, 11:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lahannsven View Post
I have the 130x and Trex250 Pro DFC. The Trex250 is much more difficult to configure.

I suggest to take the AR7200bx (or Microbeast) instead of the 3GX. Put the AR7200bx on the right side.

The Align products are much more durable than Blade helis. Therefor the Trex250 DFC is a good step forward.

The only tricky thing is to get the Trex250 tail wag out. The 250 sometimes shakes horrible.

To start with low Parameter D settings will stabilize your heli. Later you can higher these values.

Sven
Thank you for this advice--I am right now building a Trex250 and plan on putting in an AR7200BX.
navigator2011 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2015, 04:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lahannsven View Post

Sven
Thanks Sven,
To be honest, I've used the AR7200BX before (tried it on my old 250 as well as two different 600 class helis) and while there is nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't have the feel that I like. That's why I fly Skookum, I have found that I really love how it flies. I don't have anything against the Bx, (it works well and anyone that purchases one is getting a nice FBL controller) it just wasn't what I was looking for in a FBL controller.

TR450Z,
Thanks for that. Are you using pretty much the stock settings or did you have to spend quite a bit of time tuning it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in