Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HS5065 OLP (Overload Protection Rate)

Has anyone enabled this programmable feature of the servo, using the HPP-21 PC Programmer?

If so what percentage did you set and why i.e. 10% up to 50% is possible?

Here is what is the manual for the HPP-21 PC Programmer user guide says:

Quote:
7. OLP Rate (Overload Protection Rate) Setup

The OLTP Rate is a very advanced feature of the HITEC Digital Servo G2 Version or, HS-7XXX series and fully programmable HS-5XXX Digital Feather and Micro servos.

OLP is a "protection against servo damage" feature. When a servo is at "full stall torque" and the servo power amplifier is sending the maximum power to the servo motor, the OLP circuit will engage and reduce the power being sent to the motor.

This act of power reduction could perhaps help prevent a critical failure of one or more servo components.

Simply put, POWER = HEAT, and too much heat can destroy a servo motor and other critical servo parts. Servos in some very high stress applications such as 1/8th Scale truck brake/throttle servos and other obscure industrial, but no less critical applications can benefit from the proper application of this feature.

OLP rate selection allows users to "when the servo is fully stalled the OLP circuit will reduce the power from the servo amp to the servo, by a percentage selected". Selecting a value of 20%, will reduce power sent from the amp to the motor by 20%. This effectively reduces the servo power to 80% of its poitential.

The factory default setting is always "OFF".

Possible settings are:

OFF, 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, 50%

Trex 450 SE V2 with Outrage G5 Head, Tail, 1700KV Motor, X3D Paddles and 6S Packs. 11T Pin, DX7, HS-5065MG's, AR6100e, GY401+DS3500G, Jazz 40-6-18, 80% TC, K+B Tail blades, Rotorworks 350 CF Blades. +/-12 Col, +/-7 Cyc. 520 packs flown, 13 crashes.
geoff200 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2009, 02:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This is new info to me but here is what I think how it could be used. If you were monitoring your servos for heat and found they were heating up you could use this to reduce the temps and see what the effect of the change would do.
Mcp X Brushless HP05s, 7a, The Steve, extended w/120SR
SnipeD_RNA is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2009, 04:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think this would be great in case of a crash and the servo was binding, it might not overheat and die...

As to what % to set it at, I don't know. I'm pretty sure your servo won't be stalling in flight so I don't think it will affect the servo in flight.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
ken22golf: I think this would be great in case of a crash and the servo was binding, it might not overheat and die...
This may well have been what caused one of my servos to die during the last incident with the ground - https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=154286

Quote:
ken22golf: As to what % to set it at, I don't know. I'm pretty sure your servo won't be stalling in flight so I don't think it will affect the servo in flight.
If it will not affect the behaviour in flight, perhaps it would be OK to set it as high as 50%.

Thoughts/comments anyone?

Trex 450 SE V2 with Outrage G5 Head, Tail, 1700KV Motor, X3D Paddles and 6S Packs. 11T Pin, DX7, HS-5065MG's, AR6100e, GY401+DS3500G, Jazz 40-6-18, 80% TC, K+B Tail blades, Rotorworks 350 CF Blades. +/-12 Col, +/-7 Cyc. 520 packs flown, 13 crashes.
geoff200 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in