Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Micro/Mini Helicopters

Electric Micro/Mini Helicopters Electric Micro Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2015, 05:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New guy that needs some info.

Hi good people.
I just jumped hobbies from model railroading. The only copter I ever flew was some cheep thing from the corner store that was hard to control and did not hover. I am looking at either a WLtoys V911 or V912 as a starter bird. Would the V911 and V912 be considered micro helis? If not what size would they be?

Thanks in advance.
Pete
wrench567 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2015, 12:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Helis

If you're just starting out, start with a brand where it will be easy to find replacement parts. Suggest looking at Blade products. Specifically, the Blade mCX2 RTF is a beginner heli, not too expensive and parts are easy to fine online. Don't forget, you'll need batteries, a charger and a radio to control the heli. The MCX2 comes in an "RTF" version which means ready-to-fly and includes a very basic radio, a couple of batteries and a basic charger. Good luck!
Old 05-23-2015, 09:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have heard that the WLtoys helis are pretty good but haven't owned one. You can get away with a cheap heli when you first start out, I started on a 4ch airhog and it taught me the basics just fine. Something you can get parts for is alot better since it will last for years. Just start with a coaxial 4ch and you will be fine. Once you're ready for fixed pitch and then collective pitch, quality becomes more and more important.
learnedthehardway is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2015, 11:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hola

First off welcome Pete, we will try and take care of you here at HeliFreak(HF)
Quote:
Originally Posted by learnedthehardway View Post
I have heard that the WLtoys helis are pretty good but haven't owned one. You can get away with a cheap heli when you first start out, I started on a 4ch airhog and it taught me the basics just fine. Something you can get parts for is alot better since it will last for years. Just start with a coaxial 4ch and you will be fine. Once you're ready for fixed pitch and then collective pitch, quality becomes more and more important.
Pretty much what he says. Almost lol...he is suggesting you get a coaxial to start with and that's not a bad route to go at all. That's what I did, my first 2 helis were coaxials, different sizes, and they taught me my basic 4 upright orientations indoors as well as they could while being virtually indestructable. For well under $100 I got many many hours of fun and I knew from that point I was interested in 6ch CP helis.
*Coaxials cannot be flown in ANY wind, they act just like a kite. (That will be the way you pile it is getting caught in a gust)

You have mentioned the WL 911 and 912 to start with and that's another totally viable alternative. I'm assuming the 911 is a Fixed Pitch like the 912 is. I know that the 912 is bigger than the 911. If you have decent hand-eye coordination you could probably handle the 912.

The answers to these next questions will help us understand what you have in mind and what you have to work with.
Where are you planning in flying? Inside, outside, or maybe both? How much room do you have? Is it windy there often?

This is the post-op debrief;
-coaxials are good for indoors and not much else
-they can teach you some basic skills that will translate as you progress, namely the 4 upright hovering orientations.
-they are a cheap way to see if you like it
-FP helis like the 912 can handle small amounts of wind, let's say 5mph. After that they act like a kite too due to translational lift.
-The added mass of the 912 compared to the 911 will help it fight the wind A LITTLE better.

Get back to us with a little more info, I hope this helps
Skidd Marks is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2015, 07:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think that the V911 is a great way to start. If I was starting over again that would be my choice.

Due to their minimal mass they are very crash resistant. In fact my brother and I have "dogfights" with them where we try to crash into each other and we've never broken a part doing that.

Also they are dirt cheap from Banggod.com and they carry all the replacement parts.
PA Flyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2015, 09:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi there. I second entering into helis via the V911. The thing just won't die! I have literally flown it full speed into a brick wall and it did not break (just make sure you kill the throttle right before a crash and 99% of the time you're golden). I've flown it 50 ft. above a street and cut the throttle, nothing broke! It's great fun! Disclaimer: I don't recommend needlessly beating it up.

If you're interested in getting something that you'll be able to hover nicely the day you buy, then getting a coaxial is a good way to start. For that I would recommend a Syma S107G. However, if you don't mind having to put an hour or two of practice in before you can easily fly around than I would definitely recommend the V911. Get the 200 mAh batteries for it and some extra blades, some balance bars, and you'll be good to go.
Bioblade is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in