Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450

Blade 450 Blade 450 Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 11:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default battery on 450 3d

my new blade 450, i installed the battery as instructed but it seems that the canopy pushed the battery into the main motor. Shouldnt there be some sort of "stop" on that. The battery got chewed up somewhat before i saw it. I think the canopy was actually pushing the wires which in turn pushed the bat backwards. Any thoughts.
scrollndan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 04:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Did you put the velcro on the battery tray ? There should have been some velcro that came in the box.
thunder6 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 05:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

scroll.....
Join the club!!!
Seems HH missed the boat when they moved to the 450X.....Same deal with the battery...
Nothing to keep the battery from slipping up...onto the motor...EXCEPT the Velcro...!!!!
But MANY folks have missed this notation in the manual....and have simply tried to cinch the battery down to the frame with the supplied Velcro STRAP....WITHOUT putting Velcro on the BATTERY....AND THE FRAME!!
Result.....Wrecked battery, wrecked motor..or WORSE!!
A plastic "lip" just below the motor would all but eliminate this problem....it SHOULDN'T mess up the CG when installing the battery!!! (Mind you...I STILL advocate using Velcro on the battery and frame, TOO!!)
Maybe the NEXT iteration of Blade 450's will address this issue......!

Last edited by dasBlade450; 04-04-2012 at 05:35 AM.. Reason: Added info
dasBlade450 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

If the battery has a rubmark on it, DO NOT use it, it could catch fire, there must be Velcro on both the battery and frame plus the Velcro strap. A lip near the motor would help alot.
* G700c BRAIN2 * T-rex 500 *308DUO *450x #429
Relisys190 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Thanks

Yep you can tell Im new to this. I did see the velco in the box. Makes sense now about the velcro on the battery and holder. Thank you. Thats the first thing I will be doing today after reading this!!!!!!
Your all right! There should be somekinda stop on that slider to keep that motor protected.
The mark on the battery doesnt look serious ( Just the Blue Shrink wrap got scored somewhat) and the motor I was able to rub off the blue mark from the shrink wrap. ( came right off with fingernail and used canned air to make sure no tiny particles got in motor)..
Thanks again
Old 04-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't know if the frame really needs more plastic on it. The velcro works perfectly, and no doubt protects the batter better than a plastic stopper would. Thinka bout it this way: if there was a little piece of plastic separating the battery from the motor, would you not use velco? Of course you would, because you still don't want the battery to potentially flop around. And since velcro is more than sufficient, why have more plastic on the frame when it is totally unneeded?
buddha2490 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

As extra protection I also put a couple of layers of thick duck tape on the edge of the battery closest to the motor.
pascalfd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks...it looks like just the outside blue shrinkwrap on the battery is damaged. Would u still use it...?.
Ill look at with a magnifing glass to see if it went into the lipo layers. I know 40.00 isnt worth the price of a fire....
Old 04-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

if bad how do i recycle or dispose of lipo properly?
Thanks
Old 04-05-2012, 12:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you have an electronic charger with a discharge cycle, run it down as low as you can, then drop it into a bucket of slightly salty water (OUTSIDE!). When the bubbles stop, it's dead. Recycle it.

Alternatively, get a generator, neon transformer, 50 feet of high voltage cable, and go find an open dirt field...
Futaba 8FG Super | Spektrum DX6i
drdrums is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 04:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdrums View Post
If you have an electronic charger with a discharge cycle, run it down as low as you can, then drop it into a bucket of slightly salty water (OUTSIDE!). When the bubbles stop, it's dead. Recycle it.

Alternatively, get a generator, neon transformer, 50 feet of high voltage cable, and go find an open dirt field...

+1 on the open field, How come i always revert to my inner child and want to blow things up
thunder6 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Pic of damaged Battery

Heres a pic of the damaged battery,,,does it look like it shouldnt be used>?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-05 12.29.07.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	305055  
Old 04-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Has it gone through the metal foil? I can't really see from the photo. If not then it should be fine to use.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Go to walmart and look in the arts and crafts section for their hd velcro and apply it to your batteries and the frame. That in conjunction with the strap will keep your batteries secure. My 450 didn't come with velcro pads so I bought my own. I wouldn't want to lose my battery mid flight.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Doesnt look like it went thu the foil, only the blue shrink wrap and the white padding they have just under the blue. I had suggestions of liquid tape to cover the mark??
Any suggestions?
I did get the velcro and installed it on the chopper and all the 5 other batteries I have
Thank you very much
Old 04-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I personally would fly it. I would also be very careful charging it the first few times, either charge it outside where it couldn't do any damage if it exploded, or somewhere when i was close by and could charge it in a LIPO bag. If you have a good charger, you should be able to check each cell individually. If you charge it a few times and the cells don't swell and balance out nicely, its probably fine.

I had a similar thread a couple weeks back, did something stupid with a battery and wondered whether I should chuck it or not. I ended up keeping it, but ordered 4 Gens Ace batteries. At $17 a piece, I wouldn't be so sad if something happened to one. Right now they are in storage, waiting for the other batteries to die. I'm sad to say that I didn't take very good care of my lipos early on (let them sit fully charged all the time), so they have noticeably less punch than the new gens ace. But I'm glad that the Gens Ace batteries are so cheap, it makes mistakes like yours and mine a little less costly.

Anyway, that is what I would do with your battery.
buddha2490 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #17 (permalink)

My HF Map location

If the metal is not grinded, then it is safe to fly.

If there's any wear on the metal, then scrap it as mentioned above.

I have 2 batteries that have rubbed the motor and still fly them. they both have over 25-30 flights on them with these marks.
Thalios is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, that happened to me as well. I ended up putting up a little "firewall" made of a piece of popsicle stick just incase.
igneous is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 11:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by igneous View Post
Yeah, that happened to me as well. I ended up putting up a little "firewall" made of a piece of popsicle stick just incase.
this thread is 6 months old .... just to let you know

But ... if anyone is reading this ... if you damage your battery and dont know if you should use it ... put your nose next to the dmage/rip/tear and see if you smell a "sweet" smell ... if you do ... its definately losing gas/and is bad ... if you dont ... it should be fine!
gdawgs56 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in