Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 120 SR

120 SR Blade (eFlite) 120 SR Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2015, 03:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default dx6i travel adjust & gyro....newbie

1. The dx6i beginners setting, I’ve noticed you guys were recommending all 100% setting on travel adjustment. The heli is slightly tilted to one (right) direction when it’s flying, when I input aile or rudd to cw direction, the heli responds more aggressively compare the ccw. Why not setting the aile and rudd to … perhaps 70 to 80% on right and keep the 100% on left to offset the input reaction? Or am I misunderstand meaning of travel adjust?

2. Also, what is gyro? Searched and read it but …. Still don’t get it….

thank you in advance....
2005h4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 04:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

All fp helis' tilt to the side. Leave travel adjustments alone.

USAF RETIRED 1968-1988 Vietnam Veteran
Pfloyd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2015, 06:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

All choppers with tail rotors lean to the right in a stationary hover, not just fixed pitch models. This is, and will be the case, regardless of travel end points or trim. This is because of the thrust from the tail rotor. Trim for a stationary hover, not for a level airframe.

The 120 SR uses a flybar for stability. It has no gyro. Adjusting gyro values will not affect the stability.

Garry
SplashN'Crash is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2015, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

[quote=SplashN'Crash;6359494]All choppers with tail rotors lean to the right in a stationary hover, not just fixed pitch models. This is, and will be the case, regardless of travel end points or trim. This is because of the thrust from the tail rotor. Trim for a stationary hover, not for a level airframe.

The 120 SR uses a flybar for stability. It has no gyro. Adjusting gyro values will not affect the stability.[/quote

I beg to differ. The 120sr DOES have a gyro.

Blade 120 SR RTF

Key Features

•Sub-micro size
•100% factory-assembled, test-flown and ready-to-fly right from the box
•Unique rotor head designed specifically to provide inherent stability of a coaxial helicopter, but provide the agile control of a single-rotor helicopter
•Factory-installed 5-in-1 control unit with Spektrum™ 2.4GHz DSM2®-compatible receiver, main motor ESCs, mixer, gyro and fully-proportional servos

Old 02-18-2015, 05:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfloyd View Post
I beg to differ. The 120sr DOES have a gyro.
Yes indeed... a tail gyro only for heading control.
Gyropilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2015, 05:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005h4 View Post
Also, what is gyro? Searched and read it but …. Still don’t get it….
I highly recommend John Salt's eBook: "Getting The Most Out Of Your Blade mSR/X & 120SR". He covers this subject in great detail.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well,, the flybar is a gyroscopic stabilizer that is mechanical and does not respond to any gyro settings from the transmitter. The tail stabilizer also does not respond to gyro setting from the radio.

Just trim for stationary hover. Don't worry bout any radio gyro settings.

Garry

Garry
Old 02-18-2015, 02:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ya…. found many settings, and noticed gyro settings were all different. I setup mine to “gyro 0:0, 1:100%”. Some setup 0:100%, 1:0%, or 50%:50% or 40%:60% or INH…. maybe numbers are irrelevant on this heli…..
Old 02-18-2015, 03:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Watch you cyclic change when you enable the gyro. You get more throw on your servos with the gyron..

Set GYRO at 0 = 0% and 1 = 100% then flipping the GYRO switch from up to down will cut performance from 100% to 85% using the dual rate built into the 5-in-1 board

.CASE CLOSED!

Old 02-18-2015, 09:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, closed. As long as it is known that "gyro" settings in the DX6i have no effect on the electric tail stabilization and certainly no effect on the flybar. Setting the fifth channel high and low may influence the servo throw in pitch and roll. But even that has been debated. Mine is not affected by that.

The helicopter will lean to the right in a stable hover, no matter what adjustments are made. And, the tail will drift from one direction at the first of a fresh battery, to the opposite towards the end. With of all this, it is still a terrific trainer.

The 120 SR. is unique in today's beginner choppers. It still uses a flybar. This makes the machine VERY stable. Almost too stable for some. I have countered this by removing 5 - 10mm from each blade tip. This increases the rotor speed and adds a bit more response.

Start out slow. Keep pushing yourself without digging up too much turf. You will love this bird. After that, you may get a collective pitch machine. Then there is no hope.

Garry

Garry
Old 02-19-2015, 01:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Many thanks Pfloyd, Garry and others. I respect/rely on your inputs whenever I have doubts or questions about this heli and it will continue to do so ……….

I took this hobby about 2 months ago starting with syma f3 received as Christmas present. Within 2 wks, I was able to fly circles and figure 8 etc. F3 took a lot of beating and some hard crashes but nothing broke, this little sucker was tough as nail.

My interest quickly turned to looking for better heli so went to LHS and got this 120sr. LHS said if i can fly this, I will have no problem flying any kind of 4 ch heli’s or even 6 ch without the stunt.

Came home, open the box, bind to stock tx, trying to hover, and as soon as it gets few feet off the ground, slide to the left, hit the wall, bounce off to indoor tree took out few branches, hard crash to floor. My wife was yelling, so went out to garage, put little right aile input to offset the slide during liftoff but again that didn’t help. Trimmed to “max” and finally got few feet off the ground hovering but within few seconds tail sliding out of control and noise dive to ground.

So immediately with my extra battery that I bought, went to school yard and this time fast lift to maybe 20 ft high but again tail sliding out of control. Then I “let go all my tx control” then heli trying to self hovering for few seconds but then go crazy cw circle crash to ground. After few attempts, broke canopy, main blade and mal function tail motor. …. summary of my first day experienced…..

And month later, thanks to u guys, ……. my blades balanced, tail support, 180 cfx canopy (much stronger than stock canopy), 130x tail fin, and working on 130x tail blade to retrofit. I know that retrofitting other than stock can occur a lot of issues, but at this point, I can fly around 5 min with much stable and looking good heli… haha…. I also got dx6i tx program to fly the way I want it and completely dis-assembled and re-assemble the heli within 20 min.

Joining this forum and gaining extensive knowledge from u guys, I cannot thank enough. I took this time to briefly introduced how I got to this point, and continue to learn from u whenever problems occur near future. Talk to u soon…..
Old 02-19-2015, 05:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Many thanks Pfloyd, Garry and others. I respect/rely on your inputs whenever I have doubts or questions about this heli and it will continue to do so ……….

I took this hobby about 2 months ago starting with syma f3 received as Christmas present. Within 2 wks, I was able to fly circles and figure 8 etc. F3 took a lot of beating and some hard crashes but nothing broke, this little sucker was tough as nail.

My interest quickly turned to looking for better heli so went to LHS and got this 120sr. LHS said if i can fly this, I will have no problem flying any kind of 4 ch heli’s or even 6 ch without the stunt.

Came home, open the box, bind to stock tx, trying to hover, and as soon as it gets few feet off the ground, slide to the left, hit the wall, bounce off to indoor tree took out few branches, hard crash to floor. My wife was yelling, so went out to garage, put little right aile input to offset the slide during liftoff but again that didn’t help. Trimmed to “max” and finally got few feet off the ground hovering but within few seconds tail sliding out of control and noise dive to ground.

So immediately with my extra battery that I bought, went to school yard and this time fast lift to maybe 20 ft high but again tail sliding out of control. Then I “let go all my tx control” then heli trying to self hovering for few seconds but then go crazy cw circle crash to ground. After few attempts, broke canopy, main blade and mal function tail motor. …. summary of my first day experienced…..

And month later, thanks to u guys, ……. my blades balanced, tail support, 180 cfx canopy (much stronger than stock canopy), 130x tail fin, and working on 130x tail blade to retrofit. I know that retrofitting other than stock can occur a lot of issues, but at this point, I can fly around 5 min with much stable and looking good heli… haha…. I also got dx6i tx program to fly the way I want it and completely dis-assembled and re-assemble the heli within 20 min.

Joining this forum and gaining extensive knowledge from u guys, I cannot thank enough. I took this time to briefly introduced how I got to this point, and continue to learn from u whenever problems occur near future. Talk to u soon…..
Spend the $10 and download J. Salts Ebook on the 120SR, MSR, MSRX. Best $10 you'll ever spend. Explains everything and has excellent setting for the 3 above mentioned for the DX6i and DX7.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfloyd View Post
Spend the $10 and download J. Salts Ebook on the 120SR, MSR, MSRX. Best $10 you'll ever spend.
I totally agree.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh, my. You have become addicted. I think having a few hard knocks and practicing maintance does two things. It toughens you up so mishaps don't discourage you. And it gives you a great feel for the mechanics of a model helicopter.

I think I have more replacement parts in my 120SR than original. The 5 in 1 board is original. That's the expensive piece.

Keep us informed on your progress.

Garry

Garry
Old 02-19-2015, 05:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you really want to get rid of some of the right lean...you can get away from some of it by rotating the tailboom so it leans left...you may have to reroute the tail wiring outside the boom so you can rotate enough, but it does take most of it away
JonJet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2015, 06:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Put the swash on the longer balls and she will haul. Try these setting too.

D/R Expo
AILE 0 100% +20
ELEV 0 100% +20
RUDD 0 100% +20
Now flip all ypur switches to the "1" position...
AIEL 1 100% +15
ELEV 1 100% +15
RUDD 1 100% +15

TRAVEL ADJUST...all 100%

SUB TRIM ...all 0

RATE SW-GYRO
0:<100.0%
1: 0.0%

THROTTLE CURVE
NORM POS L 0.0%
POS 2 43.0%
POS 3 51.5%
POS 4 80.0%
POS H 100.0%
STUNT POS L 0.0%
POS 2 40.0%
POS 3 60.0%
POS 4 80.0%
POS H 100.0%

HOLD - 0.0%

PITCH CURVE ...not used its a FP heli!

SWASH MIX INH

MIX 1 INH

MIX 2 INH

REVO MIX all 0%

SET UP LIST:
MODEL TYPE HELI

REVERSE all N

SWASH TYPE 1 servo 90*

THRO CUT position INH

D/R COMBI D/R switch: INH

If you need MIX settings, you can try these:
MIX 1

RUDD -> AILE ACT
RATE L -30% R +30%
SW ON TRIM INH

MIX 2

RUDD -> ELEV ACT
RATE D -70% U -30%
SW ON TRIM INH

Old 02-20-2015, 10:43 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I got the dx6i week ago, I went through many setups trying to find the best combination for my flying skill. And I had your setup except EXPO O=+15, 1=+10, MIX settings INH and gyro settings reversed. I will switch the gyro to 0=100%, 1=0% and will add MIX settings to see how heli reacts to the new settings.

Manually adjusting the swash plate level resolved the TBE problem. Now my heli flies great. And using dx6i really boost my confidence to fly aggressive on calm or little breeze condition. Actually, i like to fly in windy condition which will continue to improve my flying skill …

Rotating the tail boom to offset the tilt??.... interesting…
Old 02-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Rotating the tail boom to offset the tilt??.... interesting…
Yep...I discovered it completely by accident one day...after doing a solid extended tail boom with wires outside, I installed it without using the "fold over" and had it slightly crooked...went out for a test flight and noticed it right away. Rotate the boom counter-clockwise (looking from the rear) and most all of the natural lean went away

My guess is that the normal tail motor spin and tail rotor sought to :right" it up slightly
JonJet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in