Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion > Electric Motors Winding and Repair

Electric Motors Winding and Repair Electric Motors Winding and Repair Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 04:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lightbulb wind pattern question

I have looked around but I can not find any info on this.

On a 12n10p
Is it possible to start both teeth on a group from the center and finish at the end?

still keeping the CW or CCW sequence but just ending both start and finish at the outside of the stator?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	outside wind.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	528266  
fusionsx00 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 07:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I saw a thread where the 'experts' were discussing the various methods for winding the pairs of teeth on a 12 tooth stator. One option is starting in the middle. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find it right now.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

It is for a DD wind, but my test wind logs are not the numbers I wanted

YY gave me 1900kv for 5t, DD gave me 2849kv for 5t

Im just gona go for a standard wind, no fancy yy or dd, besides my new hobbywing v3 esc

runs really well on standard dlrk wind, and it will let the motor have really good cooling with 4t. the slots will be open
but the fill is decent
Old 08-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No problem winding from inside to outside, your cross wire to second tooth will be longer and will affect KV, plus you have to wind the second tooth by threading the wire underneath the outside jump.
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im not following the cross wire part?
when I wind the other way , i start on the left side of the tooth closest to the center of the stator, then once that tooth is filled i go down the right side of that tooth and then up the right side of the next tooth, and finish the tooth near the center of the wind.

Like this pic but i start and end on the left
(also not in yy, just for refrence of the wind start stop , crossover)
Old 08-14-2014, 10:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Talking about the wire that goes from one tooth to the next in a pair, it now forms part of the winds inside the stator where the original had it outside.

Do a test wind and check your KV before committing to it.
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok got it, i always do test winds with thin wire, even after some test winds my kv is still not where i want it in the gauge i want to use. So i have to add or reduce the turns. Not so bad on these tiny motors though. On a larger motor i would probably be pissed
Old 08-18-2014, 06:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

test wind went
it started and spooled up ok, but on some starts it struggled to start. and i need more wire for test winds now.

I think this is what vinger was telling me this about the cross over wire to the second tooth in a group will be longer.

but I am trying to do this

(found this on rcgroups, but it is exactly what im trying to do)

And then a idea poped up in my head, is clock wise still clock wise if i start that outer part of the motor and end up in the center like above?

this pic shows why I question that, it shows the jump from one wire (lets say tooth one) go from the outside part of the stator towards the center. Then it starts on tooth 2. Why not just cross over

brain hurts , gotta take a break
Old 09-01-2014, 03:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

youre reading too far into in man. realistically as long as you get the correct number of winds then is doesnt matter how u jump over to the next stator tooth. as long as the stator teeth are wound in the right order then it doesnt matter what direction you wrap or how you jump over. just make sure windings are somewhat tight. not too tight. just snug. dont wanna cause a short. also would be a good idea to purchase kaplan wrapping tape to fortify the insulation between wrapping wire and stator. its heat resistant up to 1100 degrees F*. and make the proper connections. you dont wanna combine teeth as you eliminate the winding on one side of both stator teeth and reduces conductivity. here are some more diagrams that may help

http://www.bavaria-direct.co.za/scheme/common/
Inkslinginmofo77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, i figured it out

As long as the sequence is followed it does not matter.
A a b B C c a A B b c C , i figured that the flow of electricity or direction of it would be clock wise if wound from left to right starting at the end , what is important where the ends are that does change things.

Its a dying art and i should just let it die in peace instead of trying to do something no one wants to share basic info on
Old 09-01-2014, 06:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The way I have been thinking about it is the right hand rule for electromagnetism and how the coils produce the desired rotating magnetic fields during the commutation sequence.

Unfortunately, without having the solution to my winding problem on paper, I didn't wind it correctly.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just keep on trying untill you get it, or like me just use standard or easy winds to just get it over with. I want to rewind a 24p motor, but there is even less info on that.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionsx00 View Post

Its a dying art and i should just let it die in peace instead of trying to do something no one wants to share basic info on
I don't think so. Somebody's gotta keep the torch going!
Raptorapture is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

you got all needed information into this thread.
copy one of the given drawings step by step and do not try something "new".

a 24slot motor is a double 12 slot. you can switch them in a row or in parallel - it's definately no whitchwork in this.
cannot understand your "problem"!
powercroco is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 06:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

'Do not try something new' has to be the most depressing advice I've heard in a while.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Reminds me of what my old welding mentor used to say " do as i say not as i do", eventually i figured out his way was how to make good parts and the way he said was how to scrap them.

3 years later I took his job
Old 10-21-2014, 04:51 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is another neat way of winding DLRK with no outside jump or inside jump for that matter over at RCgroups. Very nice for Delta termination.

Here is a link rather than try to describe it and confuse the issue. I guess it would work YY termination as well but some of the wires would have to be cut.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1249657
Old 09-26-2015, 05:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Old Tread. only fore information.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868248
Post no. 14.
6 wires method.
start 2 tooth inside to half wire longitude
Manuel V is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2015, 05:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionsx00 View Post
test wind went
it started and spooled up ok, but on some starts it struggled to start. and i need more wire for test winds now.

I think this is what vinger was telling me this about the cross over wire to the second tooth in a group will be longer.

but I am trying to do this

(found this on rcgroups, but it is exactly what im trying to do)

And then a idea poped up in my head, is clock wise still clock wise if i start that outer part of the motor and end up in the center like above?

this pic shows why I question that, it shows the jump from one wire (lets say tooth one) go from the outside part of the stator towards the center. Then it starts on tooth 2. Why not just cross over

brain hurts , gotta take a break
scuse me, the last diagram is incorrect in the matter of the second winding on the following pole, they should be wound as in the two first diagrams where the second pole winding is from top to bottom. This is will reverse the polarity opposed to all bottom to top winding which will have the same polarity as the magnet passes over. does it matter if the winding is ccw or cw from top to bottom? If they are all cw then I could see the second winding being a top to bottom wind to achieve a - polarity at the top , is it enough to reverse the wind on the second pole or must it also be wound ccw?

Is the yy supposed to be a ++/--/++/-- type winding or is it +-/+-/+-.?

What were the benefits of yy over traditional y and delta motors?
Icanfly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2015, 09:24 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

No ones talking huh

Anyway....
In a 12n10 p the North and South magnets are opposed 180 wheras a 12N8p the opposed magnet poles are the same. This dictates whether you wind the teeth in the same direction or you alternate CW, CCW or vice versa CCW, CW no matter. In a YY you are essentially winding two seperate wye motors on each side of the stators 6 teeth then paralleling the motors together. The relationships would be similar to a series or parallel connection between resistors. In parallel the both motors see the same voltage but they half the resistance. Hopefully this helps a simple question standing for 3 days in a forum that is supposed to be about Fun,Learning,Friendship and Mutual Respect. There are some real characters here......

The best you can do is contribute what u can in hopes that the site mission can be realized.

Note my signature....

1BOHO

Last edited by 1BOHO; 10-26-2015 at 10:06 PM..
1BOHO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in