Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Painting and Airbrushing Tips / Techniques

Painting and Airbrushing Tips / Techniques Painting and Airbrushing Tips / Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2015, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Fiberglass canopy question

I'm not sure where in the forum to even post this, but I'll give it a shot here. Bought a used 450L. The canopy has a crack in it. Surely you paint guys have done some body work on the fiberglass. From the front it's hard to tell its even there. It is about 1" long.

How do I reinforce the back of the crack where there bare fiberglass is?

Will just epoxy brushed on be enough to fix it, or do I have to by some FG cloth?

Also, there were a couple of chips near the swash, so I used a Cratex bit to smooth them (arguable the most unknown and yet useful Dremel style bit period...).

Finally, I opened up the factory grommet hole to 11/32 in preparation for the RC Booya QR pin set. I did it by running my drill bits in reverse so I wouldn't chip the FG as bad. Worked great, but there are some FG "hairs" around the hole.

Any suggestion for cleaning those up? I was thinking maybe CA'ing them and seeing if I could trim them with some small scissors. What would you do?

Thank you.
Vincenza V is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2015, 01:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You could just glue it with the very liquid version of CA it will flow everywhere and set up pretty quick or get a small fg kit somewhere. Roll of sandpaper on the hairs?
mrultralite is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2015, 02:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

One type of quick and dirty repair is to use CA and a strip of paper towel. Fine lightweight hobby fiberglass cloth and CA is the next step up followed by actual fiberglass resin for serious or larger area jobs.

You can usually find fiberglass resin at an auto parts store but the cloth you might find there will be heavy and coarse. There are other brands but here's what Tower Hobbies has for cloth: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=RKB

--Elisabeth
Gaui X2 & X5- MKS,Scorpion, Castle and lotsa good stuff
2 FrankenHeli 450s, Axe 100SS, Futaba
EKron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2015, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you. I guess I may have to get some FG cloth/patch kit from Advanced next time I am there. As far as the fingers, I may try really fine sand paper.
Vincenza V is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2015, 09:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default FG hairs....

Hi get CA all over the hairs, let it dry until they're hard, sand or file them off - enjoy!
flydude is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in