Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flybarless Helicopter Systems

Flybarless Helicopter Systems CSM Cyclock, Helitronix Multi-mixer, Spartan AP2000i, Firmtronix Digimix-3, Gyrobot, SK360and AC3X

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 05:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Aileron Servo dies when connected to ZYX

OK this is depressing.

Servo type HS65MG

Gyro setting 1520us analog for the cyclics, and 1520us digital for the rudder JR 3400G

ESC is Align 35a ESC RCE-BL35X

I got the Tarot head and Gyro last week. I went thru the setup routine and went out to maiden last Sunday. got to the field and decided it made sense to spool it up without blades just to make sure everything was kosher. after about a minute of running I noticed the aileron servo connected to channel 1 wasn't moving no matter what the stick input. I disconnected the motor and switched the servos around in the gyro just to see and the servo was dead. I figured since I bought a used bird maybe that one was weak so I went buy the LHS and picked up another one.

It's the aileron servo in a 450SE V2 so replacing it is major surgery.

I replaced it yesterday and wrestled with the setup but finally got it dialed in so

I pull the blades again got out to the front porch and spool it up again.

After about a minute aileron servo is dead again.

At this point I'm really wishing I had gone for the beastx from a US based seller.

I guess I'll email Infinity Hobby and see what they say but my hopes aren't really high at this point.

How likely is it that something else is the cause other than the gyro?

edit PS: BEC output is 6.02 volts according to my highly reliable digital multi meter
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

i saw a thread last week about a guy with the CopterX 3X1000 gyro eating the very same servo. try to track him down and see if he has figured out what gives.

i have the CX one and 50+ flight without issue. I'm running DS410 clone cyclic servos.

did you use the program box or the flashing light to program?

did the servo get warm?
texasclouds is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 07:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

been there done that. I have the cx-3x1000 and i had the same thing happen to me i had it set for the analog cyclic servos and a digital tail servo and it burned up one of my servos. and every servo that i plugged into the unit they got hot. i sent an e-mail to ehirobo but I have not got a e-mail back from them to see if they will let me send the unit back and get a refund or not yet. my guess is that I'm screwed out of 36 bucks. so I might just give up on going fbl for a while longer.
iceman320 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman320 View Post
been there done that. I have the cx-3x1000 and i had the same thing happen to me i had it set for the analog cyclic servos and a digital tail servo and it burned up one of my servos. and every servo that i plugged into the unit they got hot. i sent an e-mail to ehirobo but I have not got a e-mail back from them to see if they will let me send the unit back and get a refund or not yet. my guess is that I'm screwed out of 36 bucks. so I might just give up on going fbl for a while longer.
keep trying to reach them...they are probably still partying for the Chinese New Year

did you use the program box or the flashing lights? maybe the setup menu and manual aren't matching up.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry to hijack the thread

Texasclouds - what are the DS410 clones? I'd be serious interested in them. Did you have any issues with "noise" I could not get corona's to work with the CX unit, but my align 410's do, they are just pretty worn and could use a rebuild, but if clones of them are good???

Shadco - are you sure the servo is actually dieing, or is it just not working with the FBL unit. I had issues with servos' not working with the FBL unit, but they worked just fine connected to the RX. Maybe/hopefully they are still ok for another application?
phranticness is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had to do a little investigation, but I was able to match this Turnigy servo to a Savox servo that people say is the same as a DS410. I'm pleased with the performance and the Align heavy duty 450 horns fit the servos. the only downside is the wierd mounting design of the TGY servos. I use a couple thin washers glued together to make the servo mount properly on my 450 Pro. I run them at 5.5V.

I think these are $15 at Hobby King, but Club Heli does have them in the USA:

http://www.clubheli.com/PowerHD-HD-2...is_p_3314.html

PowerHD HD-2216MG

Excellent cyclic servo for 450S/SEV2/V3

The PowerHD 2216MG has an aluminum heatsink, metal gears and 1 ball bearing.

Digital Servo—HD-2216MG
Function of Performance:
☆Metal Gear for High-Torque performance.
☆0.13sec/60°at 6.0V
☆3.9kg-cm at 6.0V
☆22.8x12x29.4mm
☆Weight:15.8 g
2.Storage Temperature :-20℃~60℃
3.Operating Temperature :-10℃~50℃
4.Operating Voltage : 4.5 ~6.0 V
Old 01-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by phranticness View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread

Texasclouds - what are the DS410 clones? I'd be serious interested in them. Did you have any issues with "noise" I could not get corona's to work with the CX unit, but my align 410's do, they are just pretty worn and could use a rebuild, but if clones of them are good???

Shadco - are you sure the servo is actually dieing, or is it just not working with the FBL unit. I had issues with servos' not working with the FBL unit, but they worked just fine connected to the RX. Maybe/hopefully they are still ok for another application?

I picked up a spare servo at the lhs sunday so I decided to do an autopsy.

The servo that died today was also an old one that came with the bird I got them mixed up when installing and put an old one back on the aileron rather than the new one..

Both are confirmed dead I hooked them up to a std rx and bound it, the servo from the other day and the one from today don't work at all.

The 2 new ones and the other old one are still working.

Seems I ought to double check the programming via the stick.

I also have the programmer but can't seem to get it to work it only does the checks but won't enter into programming.

I used the Program via USB. I guess I should double check via stick to make sure they are set right.

I also set the ESC back to 5 volts.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used the flashing lights. but i fear that where it burned up a servo that it probably screwed up the fbl unit too. could that be possible?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I would double check with the LED's. It's actually pretty easy to change the settings with the sticks once you do it. I'm starting to remember what flashes mean what after a couple days of playing with it.

Thank you texasclouds. I had a power HD tail servo on my pro that I was really happy with ( this one - http://www.clubheli.com/PowerHD-HD-3...is_p_3315.html ) . The motor in it failed, I'm convinced it was my fault, I was learning how to setup a heading hold gyro and had the gain at like 95% (on a spectrum), it got really hot. I dissasembled the Pwerhd servo though and was impressed with the build quality. I like the aluminum too, looks good. I've only found them on eBay, at least that's the only place I've found them with reasonable shipping. I will look into your suggested sites to order some of the cylics, and probably another tail servo to, especially since i have a spare. Awesome of you to post the specs too, Thanks again.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm thinking it could be:
  • user selected the wrong setting
  • the lights menu settings are wrong (ie doesn't match manual)
  • manufacturing defect
Old 02-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

here is the rabbit trail on my 'ds410 clones':

TGY 2216MG = HD 2216MG = Savox SH-0350 = Align DS410
Old 02-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nice

It can take hours trying to figure out info like that. (for me at least)
Old 02-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Which of these settings did you use?
Select which kind of servos your helicopter has:
“1520us 71Hz” All the tail and swashplate servos are 1520us analog.
“1520us 250Hz” Tail servo is 1520us digital, swashplate servos are 1520us analog.
“1520us 333Hz” Tail servo is 1520us digital, swashplate servos are 1520us digital.
“760us 250Hz” Tail servo is 760us digital, swashplate servos are 1520us analog.
“760us 400Hz” Tail servo is 760us digital, swashplate servos are 1520us digital.
“960us 333Hz” Tail servo is 960us digital, swashplate servos are 1520us digital.
(Warning: Be sure that the servo type is correct, otherwise servos may be damaged.
Before completing the servo type selection, don’t connect the servos to the gyro. It may damage the servos and the gyro.)
Old 02-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasclouds View Post
Which of these settings did you use?
Select which kind of servos your helicopter has:
“1520us 71Hz” All the tail and swashplate servos are 1520us analog.
“1520us 250Hz” Tail servo is 1520us digital, swashplate servos are 1520us analog.
“1520us 333Hz” Tail servo is 1520us digital, swashplate servos are 1520us digital.
“760us 250Hz” Tail servo is 760us digital, swashplate servos are 1520us analog.
“760us 400Hz” Tail servo is 760us digital, swashplate servos are 1520us digital.
“960us 333Hz” Tail servo is 960us digital, swashplate servos are 1520us digital.
(Warning: Be sure that the servo type is correct, otherwise servos may be damaged.
Before completing the servo type selection, don’t connect the servos to the gyro. It may damage the servos and the gyro.)

1520us 250Hz” Tail servo is 1520us digital, swashplate servos are 1520us analog.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is the same option that i selected on mine too and got a burned up servo also
Old 02-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bet there is something wrong with that setting. I'm not sure how much R&D testing was done before this went to market.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a friend setting up a Copterx 3x1000 and he lost his rudder servo. Got real hot and stopped working. It was a 5084mg servo. Just weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
newbheliusr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

none of the servos ever got hot,

I've verified again that the settings were correct.

Then I reset everything back to defaults installed my last new hs65MG back into position. Verfied the servos were set to analog cyclic digital rudder ( the rudder servo is a digital JR). ran thru both stick and program to verify the servo setting then hooked them up and finished the setup. I then verified again that nothing had changed.

I've set the bec voltage down to 5 on a different brand new align esc and I will spool it up again tonight without blades to see how it goes.

Both previous episodes were under the same conditions, no blades, first spool up with the motor and the servo just quit, no smoke no heat just 1 dead servo attached to channel 1.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

with mine the two servos got really hot one survived the other one did not.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well

Bladeless spool up went fine this time. I actually ran two packs thru banging the stocks around without problem.

I know without the blades there isn't much load on the battery but I consider this progress.

I don't know if it was the bec or just that those servos were on the edge already,

I don't have a real warm and fuzzy feeling about the remaining old servo but at least it's in an easy to change position for 27 box I may just swap it out and keep the old one as a spare.

Maiden this weekend weather permitting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in