Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450

Blade 450 Blade 450 Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Best Servos/ Motor ESC Combo

I have three stock blade 4503Ds and want to upgrade to some really good servos and ESC/Motor combinations. What are the best products that members can advise me to get. I've heard good things about hitec and scorpion. Maybe I can try two different types of upgrades for two of my 3 4503ds. Any suggestions?
Usman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

For the motor I would definitely suggest the Scorpion 2221-8.

For an ESC I am using the YEP 45. I have hundreds of flights on it and it is a great ESC. It has active freewheeling, a 6 amp switching BEC and a governor. One thing to note is that I have the original version. There have been people reporting that the new V2 versions are unreliable. You can however buy a different size YEP, such as the 40 or 60 amp which are good.

I am using the Spektrum H3020's in my 450 and like them as well. They perform well and after 100's of flights are still working. They do have really flimsy cases so you need to be careful with that.

Another option is the Turnigy TGY-306's. They have really good reviews.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Would I have to get another motor mount to make that scorpion motor work? Will I need to do anything else in order to use the Scorpion?
I assume you mean Hobbyking Yep ESCS? What Scorpion or Castle ESC might be a good consideration?
Just for the knowledge, which hitec servos would be good to use? Best for ecomnic spending, best for performance? Thanks !
Old 09-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usman View Post
Thanks for the reply. Would I have to get another motor mount to make that scorpion motor work? Will I need to do anything else in order to use the Scorpion?
I assume you mean Hobbyking Yep ESCS? What Scorpion or Castle ESC might be a good consideration?
Just for the knowledge, which hitec servos would be good to use? Best for ecomnic spending, best for performance? Thanks !
I don't think you need a different mount but I think you have to do some small mods to make it work. I know there are threads in this forum on people installing the 2221 motor. You will need a new pinion as the 2221 motor has a larger shaft.

Yes, I don't have any experience with scorpion or castle ESC's.

I couldn't tell you what hitec servos are the best.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

you would need a spacer between the mount and the motor so the pinion don't eat the main gear. I can get you the p/n went i get home. Or it can be made from washer, but the spacer is a neet job

Here it is :

http://www.amain.com/Scorpion-HK-22m...-Plate/p266813
Windmanquebec is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2014, 07:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input. Do you happen to know which pinion I would need; the link for it?:
Old 09-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

How about an Align 450mx motor and stock Align ESC? Should be cheap enough.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Would the metal gear servos from the new 450x upgrade be a good replacement on the 450 3d?
Old 10-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I run the same as FutanaS on one bird. Very strong, good governor, I used the innovative designs motor mount. On the other I tried a Helidrive motor with the yep45 and same mount. Not fair to compare power since that bird is my night flyer, she's a good bit heavier and it runs 1 tooth smaller pinion. But it works great for the money so far.

"I do my best looking 3d when trying to avoid a crash!"
Jherison is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2014, 07:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Forgot to mention that is the same mount. For servos I use hitech on one and omg on the other. Am very curious about the new ones from Horizon that come with the new 450x.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default servos

The new 450 servos are the afore mentioned 3020s from Spektrum. I just put some on my cyclic. Took a while as finding them was tough (Heliproze). I like them, seem to work fine, but as someone noted earlier, case may be weak. I found that the ele wasn't working, but the servo was getting hot. Took it out and tested with a different receiver, worked fine. Tested with the installed ikon with the servo unmounted, worked fine. Remounted it but didn't screw it down, worked fine. Screwed it down, no workee. Removed 1 screw, worked fine. I conclude that compressing the servo into the ele location causes a bit of a tweak to the case which is enough to bind up the mechanism somehow. I'm flying it with just one screw holding it (as it is a bit of a snap fit anyway) and it seems secure and accurate. Can judge the reliability or longevity, as I just got them in the heli this weekend. But at $25, not bad. Aside, is there a way to remove the soft start from the OEM esc?
Elmo Te is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2014, 12:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

If I remember right you can flip throttle hold on then off while spooling up and it will give full power. Slow start only is active if TH is on for longer than 10 seconds. Can strip the main gear though it head speed is low enough, or have the blades fold back and start some really violent shakes!

Old 10-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for that, but doesn't really solve my problem, which is disabling the softstart so external gov controls it.
Elmo Te is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in