Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate

Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate Compass Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New 6hv guy (tips I should know about this beast)

Well got a 6hv today! Im like a kid at Xmas ! All I need is the esc and I'll be ready. For servos I have the MKS ds 670's & MKS 760 for rudder. AnTi Taco sold me a skookum sk720 a few months back that I'll be taking off the 450pro. anybody using the same, and how well does it work for the 6hv. Any pointers.... pro and cons anything would be helpful. This will be my first big heli so looking toward flying it.
heliglenn71 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Where did you order this from? Ive been waiting on Nankin hobby to get them in stock but it seems like its taking forever.

Compass Field Rep/KBDD Team pilot/Experiencrc.com
sewerfly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

If your gunna get the stock hobbywing ESC go to hobbypartz.com thy only $64 bucks there..I've been using the cc 80hv on mine and been working great ..I recommend a 11t also if u gunna use a gov on it...and also pick up the cf gyro tray upgrade they have for the 6hv that nankin sells...its perfect for.mounting the 720 on and its nice and flat and don't flex like the stock plastic one..that's about all it really needs Ohh and if u want some nice cheap bling go to helidirect and get the cool colored washers..check out my photo galley to see how a cheap 10$ worth of washes changes the whole look.....Ohh and I almost forget get the quick UK servo links the stock ones suck..I just don't trust the stock.plastic material they use...come in cool colors I got blue on mine as u can see in my gallery...u want the short style ones but they hard to find now ..out of stock every where...
Fusion 50 9080/9088 Beast X
Velocity 50n 9080/9088 VbarSAB Goblin 9180/9188 Kontronik helijive Coming soon
AnTi Taco is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My kit came with the CF gyro tray so they may be shipping all kits with it now.

You will have to size your ball links including the links on the tail grips. Either get a link sizer or make your own with one of the extra balls that will be in the kit.

When you do the head setup, watch the elevator link. On mine it would hit the anti-rotation pin at certain stick positions. I did a little modding on it and it helped quite a bit. May or may not be an issue with the Skookum.

That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure you're going to love it.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerfly View Post
Where did you order this from? Ive been waiting on Nankin hobby to get them in stock but it seems like its taking forever.
I bought a used one. Was in the same boat with nankin and found a guy on RR that had a fairly new 6hv for 400.00 ,so I couldn't turn it down. Thanks for the info guys! Anti taco I had a look at your 6hv and the washers look bad a$$! The outrage servos add some bling their selfs. Are you using the skookum gov or the castle?
Old 01-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliglenn71 View Post
I bought a used one. Was in the same boat with nankin and found a guy on RR that had a fairly new 6hv for 400.00 ,so I couldn't turn it down. Thanks for the info guys! Anti taco I had a look at your 6hv and the washers look bad a$$! The outrage servos add some bling their selfs. Are you using the skookum gov or the castle?

I haven't maidened my second 6hv with the skookum yet but will be using the Castle GOV.. ive had good luck with it on all my helis...Plus u really don't wanna use the Skookum GOV with the Castle ESC..i read in a few threads/Posts that it don't work well specially the slow start on the Skookum's GOV...i did hear that Castle is working on a Firmware update so there ESC are compatible with Vbar/skookum.....so if your running the Castle ESC just use there SET RPM mode for now until the firmware update from Castle is ready....

and like Larry said above your also gunna have to use a dremel or whatever and sand away the plastic in like a U shape to stop any binding...basically just start off sanding away the plastic slowly and just keep going back and forth checking to see how much more u gotta sand off...basically put left stick so u have full collective and also full Elevator cause that's where it binds so just keep sanding away until it no longer binds at full collective and full elevator... That's pretty cool Larry that all the new compass kits come with that CF gyro tray...they just need to make a swash plate anti-rotation bracket that's had no binding issues then the kit would be perfect..other then the plastic links that are used in the its....they seem to be ok to use but when i got my kit at the time i think they used a different kind of plastic that was cheap and weak.. but even now i would still get the cool QUICK UK short control ball eyelets....they out of stock here but if u really want them u gotta do like a google search of the part #...i need some more also to stock up on and only place i found them in stock was some place in Australia and shipping was not bad at all for them...

http://helidirect.com/quickuk-rocket...00-p-19700.hdx
Old 01-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here's my thread on the AR pin binding on the elev link. There's some pictures on the second page.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...=355826&page=2
Old 01-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry227 View Post
Here's my thread on the AR pin binding on the elev link. There's some pictures on the second page.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...=355826&page=2
I'll make sure I do the same to mine. Thanks for the thread! The previous owner cut a hole in the bottom of the anti rotation bracket. The only reason I could come up with is .... Maybe the ele. Servo to swashplate linkage was rubbing. I haven't installed servos so I'm not sure on that.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes hitting the ARB was an issue too but it didn't happen on mine so I forgot to mention it. Then again, maybe I need to take a better look at mine.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

AnTi taco I forgot to ask... Will you be using the servo bus with the sk720? I guessing I need to buy one to be safe.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congratulations!

I think Jeff Barrett is the Skookum Guru of the Compass forums, hopefully he will chime in.

As far as tips go...

1) Ground the Tail Boom to the motor mount-this is very important!

2) Install the main rotor head using the bolt in the lower hole. This will raise the head very slightly and kill any ground resonance tendencies. If you want you can get the TracX Delrin Drive Tubes, which are 5mm longer (the two mounting holes in the head block are 5mm apart).

3) Make sure that the thrust bearings in the main blade grips and the tail blade grips are greased.

4) Make sure that the spindle bolts are cleaned and locktited.

5) Most of us have upgraded to KBDD Dampers and Tail Blades

6) Make sure that the tail pitch changing mechanism and all the ball links move freely.

7) Get ready to absolutely shocked at how much power it has.

There are a great many of us here who will be happy to assist with any questions you might have.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Don't need to ground the boom all the way to the motor mount, the frame is conductive.

P.S. I use the "lower hole" which lowers the head closer to the frame, but the rest I agree with
Old 01-13-2012, 12:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
AnTi taco I forgot to ask... Will you be using the servo bus with the sk720? I guessing I need to buy one to be safe.
I have a power bus but didn't use it cause space is tight on the 6hv Plus it looks cleaner doing what i did...i also covered all the cyclic servo wires with this awesome wire braid that from a fellow HF that i strongly recommend you wont find anything like it anywhere else i just had to drill two small holes to fit a zip tie through right in between the bearing blocks 10mm from the bottom lip of frame u can see in my pics...this keeps the wires away from the spinning main shaft...and left the last 2 inches of the servo wire free so it can move freely and not cause any vibs to go into the skookum...if u do this then u don't need the power bus witch just puts less wires going into the 720 to reduce vibs...have 3M tape on the skookum metal plate then another peace of 3m to hold it to 6hv CF gyro mount

not sure how u gunna power your electronics but if you use a 2s lipo pick up a EC3 RX power harness that horizon hobby sells that has to servo leads that plug into the skookum so u have a nice flow of voltage over just using a skinny one servo plug u gunna need it since you running HV servos

just added a new album of photos of my finished 6hv wiring job check it out i think u will like it alot

Old 01-13-2012, 12:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ohh i forgot another important think....look at my pics and u will see the Align CF servo tabs i used on the servo to protect the finish on the servo and it looks cool to...and your gunna need some 2.5mm x 12 and 2.5mm x 15 and some 2.5mm nylon lock nuts as well..its a hell of alot better mounting your servos this way then using the stock hardware they give u with kit...and if you look at my rudder servo i think u can see in the pics but what i did was i sandwiched just the rudder servo tabs on top and bottom with the CF Align mounting tabs and by doing this and put the rudder servo ball when its on the servo arm exactly in the middle of the BOOM witch is exactly what i want....U want that ball in line with the boom so its straight down the center from front to back.....anyway thats how i did mine......sorry if i seemed like i was being pushy and making it seem like mines the best way to to it.... didn't mean to come off that way,,,i just like giving details cause i know how it is sometime when u see somethng someone else did and u wanna know how they did it but all u can go by is photos without any other info,,anyway good luck with how ever way u choose to go and any questions just shoot me a PM,,,,,

http://www.hexcrews.com/m25-3.aspx
Old 01-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Let me start with this.... Wow I couldn't believe the support I've got over night on this build! I've been in the hobby for a year now and I owe everything I've learned to HF & RR ! All of you guys are great help. And with the lessons I've learned I should be able to give back to fellow helifreak's. So thanks you rock!
Old 01-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Al Clem the previous owner grounded the heli very well he started at the tail boom and tapped onto every alum part on the frame then ended with a plug that I'm guessing goes into the balance port of the lipo. Do you think this is over kill or a good ideal. When I get home from work I'll post a picture to show you guys. Also does KBDD made different damps for the 6hv if so what would be the best for it.

AnTi Taco I'd like to get the servo wire protectors and the washers you have. I started to install servos last night but stopped after seeing how the stock mounts were a pain to install! Think I'll use the bolts myself! The MKS 670's/760's run on 6v so there not the HV's. So do you think I'll still be ok without the power bus?

Now here's what I'm thinking on the ESC I might get the kontronik 80hv. I can sell or trade my 450pro to fund it. I'd hate to let the little bugger go, but if that helps get the 6hv in the air it's what I'll do. Ive used Castle on all my other helis but the recall spooked me. Has anybody had the v2 85hv burning up. I'd hate to send a $1500 heli up in smoke if I could avoid it! And for the hobbywing 70hv would someone chime in on it. Is it worth getting.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #17 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Wow, Ah Clem actually sold a heli?

As for pinion size, a 10T will work fine governed as long as you like head speeds of 2050 or lower.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Wow, Ah Clem actually sold a heli?"

Absolutely not!

He was telling me that how the previous owner grounded the machine and asking that I comment on it. My 6HV is sitting behind me on the floor in its case!

I do, by the way, ground the boom to the motor mount, but not to any part of the Lipo.

My original Revolution .40 that I got in 1976 is still hanging in my garage, by the way.

I never sell trains or helicopters, but I do need a bigger garage....
Old 01-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Al Clem the previous owner grounded the heli very well he started at the tail boom and tapped onto every alum part on the frame then ended with a plug that I'm guessing goes into the balance port of the lipo. Do you think this is over kill or a good ideal. When I get home from work I'll post a picture to show you guys. Also does KBDD made different damps for the 6hv if so what would be the best for it.

AnTi Taco I'd like to get the servo wire protectors and the washers you have. I started to install servos last night but stopped after seeing how the stock mounts were a pain to install! Think I'll use the bolts myself! The MKS 670's/760's run on 6v so there not the HV's. So do you think I'll still be ok without the power bus?

Now here's what I'm thinking on the ESC I might get the kontronik 80hv. I can sell or trade my 450pro to fund it. I'd hate to let the little bugger go, but if that helps get the 6hv in the air it's what I'll do. Ive used Castle on all my other helis but the recall spooked me. Has anybody had the v2 85hv burning up. I'd hate to send a $1500 heli up in smoke if I could avoid it! And for the hobbywing 70hv would someone chime in on it. Is it worth getting.

PM helifreak user. ( ephit ) he sells the really nice wire.braid he sells a lot of it Here..he got a thread to u can check out with all the info about his braid its 10$ bucks and u get like 3 or 4 feet might be more..and gives u a foot of shrink.tubing also....

If u get the kontronics ESC then u can just use the built in BEC witch will make a nice clean wiring job..if u don't get that u could also run a rx LIFE 6.6v pack if your cyclic need to be 6v
Old 01-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #20 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

I was actually getting static hits when the winter weather hit (cold dry air FTL), my esc was cutting out 5-10x a flight (yes, I continued to fly it). I only had to ground the boom to the frame, I was measuring a few ohms between the motor mount and the tail shaft. Since grounding the boom I havent had a single static hit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in