Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Whiplash

MA Whiplash Miniature Aircraft Whiplash Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The best would be to follow MinAir's instructions from the old kits - instead of fully fastening the parts onto one frame, and then installing the other, lossen the bolts of all the connections between the frames, and only when the second frames is also loosly tied, start fastening all bolts. It eliminates tweaking of the frames, and releases the one way bearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppersrc View Post
Same issue.. I can not fix it... trying all your suggestion, but still running hard..
Avi_Y is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Just fix it

Here is the deal, when you tighten up the sprag cup set screws, the one that sits on the round part of the motor shaft cocks the sprag cup and causes the cup to have excessive runout. The fix is to just lightly snug this set screw and tighten the one that sits on the flat part of the motor shaft then tighten the other set screw. You could also determine your correct sprag height and then set it up on the bench with a dial indicator (I mentioned this in previous post) then install in frames. You may have to fiddle with the lower bearing block a bit too and If the installation is still tight just put at the tightest point and loosen up all of the bolts and retighten (don't forget the two attaching the motor mount to the main shaft bearing block) but I did not need to do this since I dialed out the sprag. Mine had the same problem everyone else is having, It was just unacceptable for me personally.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It is a bit of a bugger to get right but once you get the hang of it it's not that bad. I've swapped numerous motors for testing purposes and now that I've got the feel for it I can get it all tightened down the first time with no dragging at all.
nwmtech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Suggestion on sprag install

Here is what I found during my whiplash kit assembly. Fit-up is great and the issue I ran into was tied to the motor and how it mounts with four M4 screws. On page 27 & 28 where you install the motor/mount with lower bearing support and mate up the body frames, I noticed that three M3 screws for the lower bearing support did not line up. With everything else fitting up so well, I was confinced that there had to be a reason for this mis-alignment. I eventually traced the issue back to the Sprag Cup. On page 25 the manual directs one to push the sprag cup down the motor shaft until it bottoms out. Doing this forced the cup onto two motor mount bolts (see attached picture) which I proceeded to dremel down to assure proper clearance. Result - Everything lined up perfectly without further issue. This might also address some of the free spooling issues others have had - if of course your motor mounts similar to mine with the same bolting pattern. Hopes this helps someone out there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor mount.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	298358  

Last edited by GCrazy; 03-13-2012 at 09:41 PM..
GCrazy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 04:39 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default v-bar help

hey fellas I'm building my first whiplash.. I wanted to know to get the fbl system to work & having ritght for the v-bar do i need to get the 8mm ball part# MA 0109? would y'all care to share v-bar file for the Whip this is my email you can post it there.. thanks

kevinbj@comcast.net
kevinbj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm getting a ringing kind of noise I jus built the Heli & only have bout 4 flights on it.. It almost sound like a engine from nitro .. The ringing sound.. Any suggestions?
Old 07-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

after a while, the sprag will break in and spin freely. it just takes time
kumar2494 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCrazy View Post
Here is what I found during my whiplash kit assembly. Fit-up is great and the issue I ran into was tied to the motor and how it mounts with four M4 screws. On page 27 & 28 where you install the motor/mount with lower bearing support and mate up the body frames, I noticed that three M3 screws for the lower bearing support did not line up. With everything else fitting up so well, I was confinced that there had to be a reason for this mis-alignment. I eventually traced the issue back to the Sprag Cup. On page 25 the manual directs one to push the sprag cup down the motor shaft until it bottoms out. Doing this forced the cup onto two motor mount bolts (see attached picture) which I proceeded to dremel down to assure proper clearance. Result - Everything lined up perfectly without further issue. This might also address some of the free spooling issues others have had - if of course your motor mounts similar to mine with the same bolting pattern. Hopes this helps someone out there.
This issue is because you're going the wrong way with the sprag cup. When the Heli motor is mounted you're supposed to push the sprag cup down away from the motor till it hits not towards the motor.
frito169 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default shavings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbj View Post
I'm getting a ringing kind of noise I jus built the Heli & only have bout 4 flights on it.. It almost sound like a engine from nitro .. The ringing sound.. Any suggestions?
I hope unlike the other guy you didn't push your Sprag cup towards the motor because then it would be rubbing on those bolts and that is the wrong way.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito169 View Post
I hope unlike the other guy you didn't push your Sprag cup towards the motor because then it would be rubbing on those bolts and that is the wrong way.
It is clear from the bolts but I did have it pushed toward the motor .. Today I will push it down the shaft .. Thanks hope this work
Old 07-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nope still didn't work.. Man this is bugging me
Old 07-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default sprag

Have you oiled/lubed the sprag?
Old 07-25-2012, 06:54 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito169 View Post
Have you oiled/lubed the sprag?
I did last nite so I'm going to test it out today after work.. With tri flow
Old 08-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #34 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Kevin, let us know your results.
Mike Fortin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fortin View Post
Kevin, let us know your results.
Got everything solved.. Thank to all the help from the H.O.D funfly .. It was lik 6 or More whips there we had to get more throw on tail & the ringing noise is jus the mesh.. All made same sound.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:49 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My Sprag bearing has finally broken in and spins fine now after 100 flights!

Goblin 770 Comp, XXtreme 800, XXtreme 700, Kraken 580, TRex 450 Dominator, GooSky S2, Futaba CGY760's and 32MZ
gadawg58 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in