Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > BeastX FBL System

BeastX FBL System BeastX FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 04:05 AM   #321 (permalink)
Registered Users

Trim the tail in Rate Mode
If you can accidentally take off in rate mode its a good idea to setup up in rate mode. I took off with my Trex 550 the other day in rate mode unknowing. Fortunately I had set rate mode up pretty close with just a slight nose left drift. If I had never set the tail up in rate mode at all it could have gotten ugly.
Of course I could set both sides of the gyro switch to HH mode.

Rudder ATV's

No one ever seems to mention flying the tail with the ATV's set beyond the scope of the gyros control.

I tried 150 the other day and liked it. Thats where I always set my ATV's on tail using enough expo to give it that user friendly feel. Someone told me later to be careful setting rudder ATV's past 100 with the Beastx because it doesn't control piro rate past a certain ATV setting. So I backed it off until the light stayed on but now the tail is a little slower than I like.

Whats the problem with having ATV's set to 150? The BeastX rudder light was going out at somewhere around 98% throw on the rudder. That still gives plenty of area for the gyro to control piro rate. I might fly for weeks or months and not use 98% rudder.

Last edited by Bladecpnitro; 11-19-2013 at 07:25 PM..
Bladecpnitro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 01:41 AM   #322 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladecpnitro View Post
Trim the tail in Rate Mode
If you can accidentally take off in rate mode its a good idea to setup up in rate mode. I took off with my Trex 550 the other day in rate mode unknowing. Fortunately I had set rate mode up pretty close with just a slight nose left drift. If I had never set the tail up in rate mode at all it could have gotten ugly.................
Might I suggest IMHO one should always set up the tail in rate mode to hover without drift either side. This way the tail is neutral. When then switching to HH the gyro only has to compensate for external inputs and not try and correct for drift caused by the tail blades driving the tail one way or the other. I have always found a heli which tends to have a tail wag which cannot be dialed out by adjusting gain nearly always have a drift in rate mode. Correct this drift and the wag goes.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:20 AM   #323 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ATV over 100 ?

Hi, in the set up it says to not set ATV over 100 until after you have finished tuning the tail. Question is if your tail reaches full deflection at 100% what benefit would ATV's at 110% be. I'm thinking that the tail cant go any further than full travel.. Probably a very simple answer but I just cant figure it out.. Any thoughts ??? Cheers from Down under
sprat0864 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 04:15 AM   #324 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just because the tail can go to 100% it doesn't mean it does in most conditions. It goes as far as is necessary to deliver the rate you request by your stick position. When you try it on the bench, invariably you see it go to 100%, regardless of rate set, but this is because the sensors detect no rotation and so the control loops calculate that they need to increase the thow until they do. On the bench they never detect rotation so they end up at full throw. This can occur in flight too, in extreme conditions, fast backwards flight at an angle, strong wind, etc, but it still might only routinely be using say 75% travel for the normal delivered rates when all things are equal at full stick.

Increasing the travel tells the MB that you want it to go faster, so it uses more of the full throw to begin with, and has less overhead available for accurate speed control. At some point, quite early, you reach a point where the MB no longer has any ovehead, and all the rate is delivered direct to the blades. At this point the MB cannot control your rotation rates, and the device enters freewheel mode, also known as blur piro mode, amongst other names. This transition point occurs around 105%, and is denoted by a change in the light on the MB, which will first flash, as you apply full rudder, and then if the travel adjust is even higher, it will go out as you apply full rudder.

See page 66 of the full V3 MB manual.

Cheers

Sutty
sutty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 05:30 PM   #325 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the explaination. Makes a bit more sense now.. Is a bit beyond me, cant even get my gyro gain worked out yet and stil looking for a basic gyro guide.. Will keep looking.. Cheers from down under :-)
sprat0864 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 07:56 AM   #326 (permalink)
Registered Users

cortez jenkins sr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 08:04 AM   #327 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by watdazit View Post
Might I suggest IMHO one should always set up the tail in rate mode to hover without drift either side. This way the tail is neutral. When then switching to HH the gyro only has to compensate for external inputs and not try and correct for drift caused by the tail blades driving the tail one way or the other. I have always found a heli which tends to have a tail wag which cannot be dialed out by adjusting gain nearly always have a drift in rate mode. Correct this drift and the wag goes.
I have a question about this rate mode adjustment. What flight mode should we use to perform this rate-mode adjustment during hover: Normal, IU1 or IU2 ?
465 (6s), Align DFC, HW50AV3, KST315 & 8910A+, SK720BE
lcc014 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 09:22 AM   #328 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default BeastX V3 Tuning Guide Updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcc014 View Post
I have a question about this rate mode adjustment. What flight mode should we use to perform this rate-mode adjustment during hover: Normal, IU1 or IU2 ?

My guess would be the flight mode you plan to fly in. These instructions here say to set your common gain first then adjust tale in rate mode. It only makes sense that you'll be using the same head speed.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:47 PM   #329 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way2evl View Post
My guess would be the flight mode you plan to fly in. These instructions here say to set your common gain first then adjust tale in rate mode. It only makes sense that you'll be using the same head speed.
Thanks for the clarification.
465 (6s), Align DFC, HW50AV3, KST315 & 8910A+, SK720BE
lcc014 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #330 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

Great reading. Thanks for all the time and effort everyone. I have a Trex 450 Pro I was originally going to put a ZYX-S in and most guys in that thread stated you should use the inner mounting holes on the DS4 cyclic servo arms. This puts the links at a bit of an angle. I purchased a MB instead. Should I move the balls to the outer, stock holes to get the links vertical at zero pitch? I'm still trying to understand the relationship between arm length and gain. It seems different FBL's like different things.

How far out from cyclic servo center are you folks mounting the balls on a 450 Pro ?? Using Align 430M servos, DS4 arms.

Bill S.
VelocityRC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 07:41 PM   #331 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello guy's. I bought beastx BTXA76008 gyro tape. It came with two yellow and two 3m tape. I mount to my heli just with two 3m tape. Is that ok? I'm confuse. I'm running on Thunder Tiger x50 nitro helicopter.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:12 AM   #332 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelocityRC View Post
Hi,

Great reading. Thanks for all the time and effort everyone. I have a Trex 450 Pro I was originally going to put a ZYX-S in and most guys in that thread stated you should use the inner mounting holes on the DS4 cyclic servo arms. This puts the links at a bit of an angle. I purchased a MB instead. Should I move the balls to the outer, stock holes to get the links vertical at zero pitch? I'm still trying to understand the relationship between arm length and gain. It seems different FBL's like different things.

How far out from cyclic servo center are you folks mounting the balls on a 450 Pro ?? Using Align 430M servos, DS4 arms.

Bill S.
Mine last time was at 2nd hole from arm's end

Next project:
MSH Mini Protos, 450 Scale Airwolf, BAH Mini Quad
cpmboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 10:57 AM   #333 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default BeastX V3 Tuning Guide Updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjames View Post
Hello guy's. I bought beastx BTXA76008 gyro tape. It came with two yellow and two 3m tape. I mount to my heli just with two 3m tape. Is that ok? I'm confuse. I'm running on Thunder Tiger x50 nitro helicopter.

3M tape is great. You want to use the one with the red backing. 3M outdoor. You'll be fine :-).
Old 06-01-2014, 06:54 AM   #334 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default maiden flight wt the bx

I maidened my newly converted old 450 pro couples days ago. It flies very nice and stable (no 3D). during the flight I 've done some flight test as recommended to see whether theres a need to dial in to make it ok. Soo.....from the maiden, I noticed that when I do full turning left or right, there is a slight wobble @ see saw effect on the tail but in pitch pump and sideways, it was solid. what settings do you guys think need adjustment....thanks

Next project:
MSH Mini Protos, 450 Scale Airwolf, BAH Mini Quad
cpmboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014, 08:15 AM   #335 (permalink)
Registered Users

My heli is very sensitive for any change in the rudder stick eventhough I have 30% expo. It also piros extremely quickly. Is this adjusted in meny E?

Also, does meny E have anything to do with the tail holding authority or is this meny only for the pirospeed?
Old 06-19-2014, 04:32 PM   #336 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I ALWAYS Set my helis up in Rate mode for as smooth, non drift hover as you can with a fairly high headspeed. And YES, it is highly common to have more travel on one side of your tail slider. And is acctually needed for even Piro rates. Don;t be worried of your slider is not centered. Think of it as this. Under a hover, with 0 pitch on tail blades, Rotor torque will want to spin heli CCW. So you need some CW thrust form the ail blades to counteract this. So, for posting sake, say it takes 6 deg of pitch to make heli hover drift free in Rate. So if our tail was even at 30 deg pitch each side after the 6 deg rate adjust. Then effectively we only have 24 deg fr CW and 36 deg for CCW pitch availible. Add to that the Rotor torque fro the head. We could have a MUCH greater CCW piro than a CW piro. Which is why we dont really need to worry that there is less travel for CCW rotation, we don't need as much travel
"Tri-Flow"
I put that S*** on everything!"
banditpowdercoat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2014, 06:09 PM   #337 (permalink)
Registered Users

is the first page of this thread still accurate for the current version firmware?
Skookum support pilot
geomecc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 09:27 PM   #338 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes it is.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:24 PM   #339 (permalink)
Registered Users

Where does the BeastX like to have the ball set on say a 450?
I had all the tail blowing dialed out with a GT 5 and now with a Beastx I'm blowing the tail again on hard maneuvers and cross wind conditons?

The GT 5 liked the ball to be out farther than most gyros so I'm thinking I need to move the ball in and bump up the tail gain a little. With current mechanical gain on rudder I can bump gyro gain to 75% and the tail holds well in FB flight and tail down funnels but I get ocassional tail shake in fast forward circuits.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2015, 04:12 AM   #340 (permalink)
Registered Users

With my blade 450X, using savox 257 servos, when I go through the max/min pitch setup, menu K, I get a blue light with full 12 deg neg pitch but only red solid with full 12 deg pos pitch. Even if I go to the servo extreme limit in pos pitch I can never get the light to go blue.

Why would this be?
floatingkiwi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in