Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > 4G6 / V120 Series

4G6 / V120 Series Walkera 4G6 / V120 Series Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ESC location?

Where are you guys locating your ESC?

My v120d02s came with it stuck to the side of the rx. After several crashes the plastic on the rx seemed to crack and tear from the strain of having the ESC tug on it. I've considered relocating somewhere and give it better support- but there are not many options. I tried sticking it to the vertical tabs on the right side of the landing skid, but that is problematic given how often I find myself having to take it off to get to something else (the double sided sticky foam tape will only take so much peel off and resticking, before it stops being sticky.). I had thought about rigging some vertical support off the right side of the pad that the rx sits on- like a loop of paperclip or some similar, light material.

Has anyone else come up with a better solution?

Thanks for your thoughts!
heli-b is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nope. I've tried a couple of times trying to find a better place for it and haven't come up with anything better either.
Heli-opolis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Last night, I got fed up and put a twistie tie around the ESC, and looped it through the top of the battery cage, with the ESC up tightly against the posts sticking off the top right of the skids. Doesn't impede battery insertion and keeps ESC from moving. Adds bulk and a slight bit of weight though of course. I'll probably trim the tie a bit to remove some bulk. Kinda sloppy but is better than the stupid sticky stuff not holding IMO.
gabeoravitz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by heli-b View Post
Where are you guys locating your ESC?

My v120d02s came with it stuck to the side of the rx. After several crashes the plastic on the rx seemed to crack and tear from the strain of having the ESC tug on it. I've considered relocating somewhere and give it better support- but there are not many options. I tried sticking it to the vertical tabs on the right side of the landing skid, but that is problematic given how often I find myself having to take it off to get to something else (the double sided sticky foam tape will only take so much peel off and resticking, before it stops being sticky.). I had thought about rigging some vertical support off the right side of the pad that the rx sits on- like a loop of paperclip or some similar, light material.

Has anyone else come up with a better solution?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Mine's applied to the vertical tabs on the skid and it's hanging in there well. I like the fact that it's touching the tabs and not directly riding on the Rx. On a prior 4G6 (which seemed to have a little extra harness), I didn't mount it to anything and just let it float freely under the canopy............so it didn't transmit vibration or heat to anything. Incidentally, on my first D02S, the ESC ran hot enough to where by the end of the flight, it had compromised the adhesive on the dub'l sided tape and slid it's way down the frame. The ESC on the new one's mounted in exactly the same place but it barely gets warm. Go figure!
Mikey2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

What I found on my 02S and Mini with a BL upgrade I put together, if the connector between the ESC and motor doesn't make good contact, the wires between the ESC and connector and in fact the ESC itself can heat up quite a bit.

I ended up direct soldering the wires, removing the connectors, which originally were 'servo' type connectors but I plan on replacing the direct-solder connections with 3-pin polarized Micro-Deans connectors at some point.

That said, I didn't replace the connectors because of the heat but instead, because the motor would cut out for a brief moment and come right back up. It would do that the longer I flew in a given session and more often on each subsequent batt. Needless to say it got real annoying having the birds fall out of the air seemingly for no reason.

Having the heat buildup go away was a side-benefit that I hadn't expected but can now appreciate.
Heli-opolis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in