Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchekas View Post
If the regulator is sticking, you almost always wind up with fuel either dripping or pouring out of the carburetor.

It will be difficult to start, and hydrolock frequently. When you do get it started and running, it will run very rich and power will be down. You will notice a TON of smoke.

Typically, when you land to adjust your needles, it will load up and quit. This is when you will notice fuel coming out of the carburetor.

If your friend tuned your engine months ago, odds are the weather now is much warmer than when he tuned it. This will richen the mixture if you didn't touch your needles, and you will need to retune.

Hope this helps.

Hi Guys,

I am new to Niro helis and I ran into this possible sticky regulator yesterday. This thread has excellent information on how to fix it. My heli and motor are brand new with three flights them. I guess mine became sticky because sometimes there are weeks between flights and I leave my heli with a tank full of fuel.

As this thread stated, for those who fly their helis regularly, this is not a problem. What about people like me who don’t get to fly as much?

What can I do t prevent a sticky regulator while my helis sits for weeks waiting on next time I can fly?

Thanks...
cbrkhan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 10:08 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

To prevent reg to stick, empty it by running the engine while pinching the carb line at the end of each flying session.

To prevent debris, double filter your fuel: put a filter in fuel pump line from jug and another one in the carb line. Clean or replace filter every 6-7 gallons or yearly.
RontaryUS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2015, 10:44 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RontaryUS View Post
To prevent reg to stick, empty it by running the engine while pinching the carb line at the end of each flying session.

Thanks RontaryUS ..

I thought of the same. Would this not damage the motor? its like leaning the motor until it quits..... but that would be at idle and may be that is ok

I am too new to nitro .... that is why I am asking.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:00 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is indeed at idle rpm and for few seconds so no issues...
Old 07-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks ... this really helps .....

I was thinking of buying a extra regulator and swap when in this situation occurs. I get very little time to fly and i go long ways to make sure all is ready or a quick fix is available when I do get some time to fly

I see a regulator listed for OS 91 and 105 ... part number 29088800 But I dont see one listed for OS55 ... any one know the part number?
Old 07-27-2015, 11:38 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

They are identical.
dchekas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2015, 12:29 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a reg for sale here:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=700823

PM me if interested

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in