Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X

mCP X Blade Micro CPx Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 01:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Has anyone used these Delrin gears?

I purchased some of these because my original gear has a hair line crack on the collar. I'm not sure if I got a bad pair or what but these things slip extremely bad on my Mcp x with a new main shaft. Under hard collective the gear will slip and on One crash I actually had the gear pop completely off . I've had to go back to the stock cracked gear to get reliable flights again. Anyone else experience this with these?
MoparRob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 01:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default slippery

sorry to hear about your gear problems.. Delrin or acetal as it is known is a very slippery plastic. Not such a good idea when pressure is being applied to it. Do you have "the groove" in you main shaft? If you can make a shaft w/o that groove, you may notice a difference. Add a small drop of CA and that may also help a bit.

Just so you know, the main gear on an MSR is the same as on the MCPX. They are, for all intents and purposes, interchangeable. I think that there may be one more also , but not sure..
CyberPlainsDrifter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 02:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Currently I do have the groove or notch in the shaft. When my original gear fails I will probably be CAing the delrin on. The actual gear mesh looked good with the delrin especially compared to my worn original lol.
MoparRob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 05:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had them, and there totally useless. They are either not machined correctly, or as another poster said the plastic is very slippery. Mine popped off every flight causing a few crashes.

Replaced with an original blade main gear, and all is fine again.
Flying_Amp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 06:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Amp View Post
I had them, and there totally useless. They are either not machined correctly, or as another poster said the plastic is very slippery. Mine popped off every flight causing a few crashes.

Replaced with an original blade main gear, and all is fine again.
This.^^^^^^^^^
Old 03-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought them too with the same results.
MCX2 On Loan To My Dad
Vandal996 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will throw in a me too here. Tried them just last week and every crash they would fall off. If I spun up too quickly they would slip on the shaft as well. Useless junk in my opinion.
bigdessert is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPlainsDrifter View Post
sorry to hear about your gear problems.. Delrin or acetal as it is known is a very slippery plastic. Not such a good idea when pressure is being applied to it. Do you have "the groove" in you main shaft? If you can make a shaft w/o that groove, you may notice a difference. Add a small drop of CA and that may also help a bit.

Just so you know, the main gear on an MSR is the same as on the MCPX. They are, for all intents and purposes, interchangeable. I think that there may be one more also , but not sure..
Delrin /= Acetal, acetal is one name for a type of polymer, Delrin is a trade name. It is not particularly slippery unless you are talking about specific formulations or filled types, "Turcite" would be one of these, combining acetal and PTFE.
Delrin or other acetals are frequently used to make pulleys and gears in many industries, so the material itself is not likely at fault, more likely the design is poor.
The same gear fits the mCPX, and the mSRX, possibly the mSR as well, but I don't have one of those so I can't verify.
koko76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 09:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

~sigh~

http://www2.dupont.com/Plastics/en_U...in/Delrin.html
CyberPlainsDrifter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like the a look, but they were a big waste of money. I ruined 2 within 2 days.

James
Old 03-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wouldnt have been so bad if they popped off after a crash, but mine came off for no reason in flight

Last edited by Flying_Amp; 03-14-2012 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: spelling
Flying_Amp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPlainsDrifter View Post
Yes, sigh. I'll take 10+ years of designing parts from and then machining various plastics, Dupont Delrin AF, as well as many other filled and non filled acetal co-polymers over a non complete company blurb about their products. Sorry if I offended you by offering a bit more of a perspective from someone who actually works with the material.
I stand by my statement, there are a TON of plastics which would be considered slippery (that page says low friction, not slippery) UHMW, PTFE, Rulon, Torlon or PEEK would be good examples of slippery plastics. www.matweb.com will actually give you numbers too instead of adjectives.
koko76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

They are useless. I didn't like them on my MCPX because they slip on the main shaft so easily. I didn't want to waste them so decided to try them on my stock MSR thinking they would hold better since the MSR has less power...WROOONNGG! Don't waste your money.
alex7703 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What about for those who pin their main gear to the shaft? I pin my stock main gear to the mainshaft on my hp05s bird (but not my c05m bird). THe hp05s/9T setup is just too powerful to pressure fit main gear onto a D-shaft. Without pinning the gear, it slips just a bit off the flat during normal flights enough to induce unnoticeable vibration yet still big enough with hp05s/9T headspeed to upset gyro and induces random 90-degree CW kick.

Sounds like for those with pinned main gear, this gear may work just fine.
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 04:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Picked up a pair of these with my Wowhobbies MH swash/head/grips order, as my main has taken more than a few hits.
Completely worthless. It's like they were manufactured to fit precisely the diameter of the main shaft (which they do just about perfectly) disregarding the fact that a bit of stretch is needed to press-fit these into place and keep them there. I've been considering a very light layer of extra-thin CA applied and allowed to FULLY dry before installation (just to decrease the inner radius), but it's really not worth the headache to fight with these to get them to work, when a new stocker is ~three bucks from the LHS.

Forget flying... just a few test pitch-pumps on TH were enough to get mine slipping down. Holding it by the head, the gear would fall off completely within 30 seconds.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had the same experience. It made wonder if it was even legal to sell something so obviously useless.
John Kane is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in