Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Beam > BEAM E6

BEAM E6 BEAM E6 Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Todays flying

I just had to do a quick post on here and radiate a little love for the Beam. I had not flown it since sometime late last year because I spent all my flying time since then fiddling and tweaking other helis (plus a big chunk of the winter I was out of the country).

Maybe I just got lucky when I setup the Total-G because it has been spot-on from day one. I now have Total-Gs on two other helis and they have not been as dialed-in feeling right from the start.

Today I took out the Beam and the Dune and it was pretty windy but sunny. I just have to say, damn, the Beam is just so near perfect I honestly cannot find fault with it. Obviously the FBL unit has a lot to do with it and I suppose it's a matter of it just being set exactly right for this heli. The Dune is great as well but you'd kind of expect it to be. Between the two the Beam was slightly better at essentially ignoring the wind and I think it's partly due to the FBL unit on the Dune still needing a few tweaks and also because the Beam has a smaller profile so in theory it should cut through the wind a bit better.

(I was also expecting the Dune to be more solid in the wind because I was flying it with Edge FBL 600s and the Beam had standard Radix 600s)

Anyway, it's just as much of a joy to fly as I remembered it being and I had a really nice afternoon :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	duneandbeamedmac150314.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	494680   Click image for larger version

Name:	edmac150314.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	494681  
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
trillian is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2014, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi Trillian - I thought: "Hey - someone's in here. 1 watching. Let's see, who it is".

Yes, we love the Avantgarde - but we are also a small, very lonely bunch.

It's great you had a fine flying day. We have a lot of wind here and my Avantgarde
is still in pieces. I need to find the urge to put it together. Having smashed both
the T500 and the Beam just before winter started, took out some of my steam.
Spring time should make me bounce back.

I had smashed the Graupner swash servos and spare case lids aren't available at all,
so I got Align 610's instead. At least I'll be able to get spares for those, if/when needed.
I was quite happy with the Graupner DES806, until I discovered spares didn't exist.

For my second kit I'm wondering if I should try to dig up some 610's or 615's.

I'm trying to kit it out as cheaply as possible. A blue VBar from my T500, which has
been downgraded to 3G (which worked well on it earlier), and I have a 630kv motor
lying about.

So I need all 4 servos and an ESC. I had found 3x610+1x650 servos on UK eBay,
but I missed the auction ending by 5 min. I'll also need blades for main and tail.

Thank you for radiating some Beam love - I needed it.

Cheers
Erik
Old 03-15-2014, 06:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hey Erik,

Sorry to hear about the smashed servos. I have Futaba 9255s on mine and what worries me a bit is that the gearsets are very expensive, like crazy expensive. So if I ever have an issue with one of them I'll probably go with something else. I have three Align Ds620s on a Knight 600e I was using last year to test the Spartan Vortex and they worked really well.

I am being totally honest though when I say I was truly surprised how good the Beam was/is today. And I'm using a Total-G that I bought for £50.00 with a G-view 2! I don't remember exactly when I last flew the Beam because I just remember spending a lot of time with the Rave ENV and the Dune, so it was probably 5 months ago at least.

This was the first time I have flown with one of the new canopies. It just looks like solid red at a distance but looks really nice up close.

I was also surprised how solid it felt with the regular (FB) Radix 600s. Before I was always flying it with Rail 606s. Now I am kinda curious to bring the Rails and fly them back to back with the Radix, I really wasn't feeling like anything needed changing, it is truly as near to perfect as I have ever had.
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

hey beamers
i was out´n flying yesterday with the 12s beam and my trex700, and i am totally surpriced
about the diferrense between them. before i got the beams my trex was my favorit but yesterday the trex was like a van and the beam like a formel1.

kevin beat jenson
Old 03-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillian View Post
I was also surprised how solid it felt with the regular (FB) Radix 600s. Before I was always flying it with Rail 606s. Now I am kinda curious to bring the Rails and fly them back to back with the Radix, I really wasn't feeling like anything needed changing, it is truly as near to perfect as I have ever had.
I'm using my stockpile of old blades on the Beam and running FB Radix at the moment and they do feel really good. They're a bit light and even with CoG further out they feel nice and snappy.

I managed three flights yesterday, after a short break whilst moving house. I must have had some anger release and hit LVC in under four minutes on the first two flights :-)
Old 03-21-2014, 02:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadders248 View Post
I'm using my stockpile of old blades on the Beam and running FB Radix at the moment and they do feel really good. They're a bit light and even with CoG further out they feel nice and snappy.

I managed three flights yesterday, after a short break whilst moving house. I must have had some anger release and hit LVC in under four minutes on the first two flights :-)
Yeah previously I had tried a few different blades and kept coming back to the Rails but I was running the Total-G at much lower swash gain. So now I have the gain dialed right on up (I actually forgot and left it where it was when I last flew it and I had experimented upping the gain until I got an elevator bounce and then backed it down a bit). Sooooo, now with the swash gain cranked it flies really solid with the regular Radix blades even in windy conditions. I think they suit it really well.

But I have a feeling I'm going to be very tempted to get a pair of Spin Matt Reds! I am getting a pair of the 700s and we'll see how they look on the Faifa :-)
Old 03-21-2014, 03:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, I'm definitely a Radix and Rails fan! Though just got some Matt Black 800s to have go at stretching one of my Faifas...
Old 03-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadders248 View Post
Yep, I'm definitely a Radix and Rails fan! Though just got some Matt Black 800s to have go at stretching one of my Faifas...
That should be interesting! I have not heard of anyone doing that with the Faifa.

I would kinda like to stretch my Rave ENV to run 750mm ish blades but haven't looked into it as far as a boom and TT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in