Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2009, 08:27 PM   #601 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensesc View Post
Well, I went out for the first test hover and everything was going fine. Then, my HK450 started to spin and I noticed that the tail rotor was not spinning. It appears that the TAIL DRIVE GEAR ASSEMBLY, located in the main frame, was not working. The belt drive gear would not turn when the main drive gear was turned by the motor. The belt drive gear and the shaft turn together, but the shaft is spinning inside of the lower gear. Has anyone had this problem? I haven't had a chance to take it apart and investigate yet. I'll see if it is something that can be fixed, or has to be replaced.
Probably be a shorter list of people who HAVEN'T run into the problem

My first two flights went well, I've been grounded for two weeks since, trying to fix the tail gear while I wait for this part :

http://www.helidirect.com/trex-compl...set-p-1103.hdx

I bought two other kits, both tail gears were loose right off the bat in the kits.

I tried this fix with loctite, but haven't had it work yet (probably partly becuase I've been too impatient to wait more than 24 hours to wait for it to cure

http://www.hk450.com/tail-gear/
mstram is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2009, 08:47 PM   #602 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstram View Post
Probably be a shorter list of people who HAVEN'T run into the problem

My first two flights went well, I've been grounded for two weeks since, trying to fix the tail gear while I wait for this part :

http://www.helidirect.com/trex-compl...set-p-1103.hdx

I bought two other kits, both tail gears were loose right off the bat in the kits.

I tried this fix with loctite, but haven't had it work yet (probably partly becuase I've been too impatient to wait more than 24 hours to wait for it to cure

http://www.hk450.com/tail-gear/
I don't think you will be too happy with the HDX450 part. The small pulley is 10T and the stock T-Rex 450 is 11T. I bought one and it is in the bin of misfit parts now.

I received the stock HS-1216T-84, but cannot find any red or green threadlocker here to attach the small pulley.
Mike66 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #603 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike66 View Post
I don't think you will be too happy with the HDX450 part. The small pulley is 10T and the stock T-Rex 450 is 11T. I bought one and it is in the bin of misfit parts now.

I received the stock HS-1216T-84, but cannot find any red or green threadlocker here to attach the small pulley.
Hmm, that part was recommended to me by Elias / EatAtJoes, who said it works for him.

As for the 10t, do you mean it wasn't fitting onto the belt for you ?
Old 08-16-2009, 05:31 AM   #604 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstram View Post
Hmm, that part was recommended to me by Elias / EatAtJoes, who said it works for him.

As for the 10t, do you mean it wasn't fitting onto the belt for you ?
On his website, Elias states that he has not tried it yet. If he has since installed it and it works, then disregard what I said.

It will likely fit, but with a smaller pulley, the tail rotor will turn slower. The one-tooth difference might be a moot point, but since I have the stock part, I did not want to experiment. Now I have to wait until Monday to find some threadlocker
Old 08-16-2009, 05:38 AM   #605 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My stock tail drive spun freely so I bought the Align equivalent. This arrived with the tail drive pulley separate in the packaging. I noticed there was some gluey stuff on the shaft so fitted the pulley and applied a little heat for a few seconds with my Zippo. 30 minutes later I couldn't budge it and to date it flies fine

Bugster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2009, 09:14 AM   #606 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Apparently in the most recent shipping kits, the tail drive gear has now been corrected.

My "locktite fix" is now working anyway,
Old 08-18-2009, 10:43 AM   #607 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugster View Post
My stock tail drive spun freely so I bought the Align equivalent. This arrived with the tail drive pulley separate in the packaging. I noticed there was some gluey stuff on the shaft so fitted the pulley and applied a little heat for a few seconds with my Zippo. 30 minutes later I couldn't budge it and to date it flies fine
After reading this, I put the heatgun on mine and it works! Is this part of the tribal knowledge for this part? I looked and could not find any reference to heating the assembly to cure the glue.

I also gave the HK part that I replaced a semi-torture test and it will not fail. Mike, I think you are right about the newer kits having the good tail drives.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:22 PM   #608 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also be aware that there are more and more clones of the trex 450.

I ordered this clone 450 V2 SE one with a carbon frame for only USD $59.99

Not sure if its a Copter X clone or not.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=156118

Also Xheli, has a full Carbon Frame kit for 29.00.

http://www.xheli.com/exi-31002a.html

My Hk's are flying well after the tail gear fix. Just be aware that the HK head uses a 3mm feathering shaft, and not the SE v2's 4mm feathering shaft.

Also check out ebay for parts, I ran across this site and order a BUNCH of parts.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/vignypeg...34Q2ec0Q2em322
Trex 600 ESP, Gaui 425

Last edited by edhall; 08-20-2009 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: Added links
edhall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #609 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi All,

My 2nd heli (Copter-X 450) is fitted with a Turnigy Plush 40 ESC and Turnigy 2836-3700 Motor from Hobbycity. In the programming menu for timing I get a choice of 'Low', 'Medium', or 'High' timing for the motor.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which one I should be using or any info on what difference the timing makes? E.G. more revs & less torque etc.?
Old 08-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #610 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Cheap fleet My efforts

Cheap Seats GOOD VALUES

Like most of us I have to budget and scrimp to support the addiction of RC Helicopters.

This thread seems to be a good place to make my observations and opinions known.

Costs of various "cheap Seats" and sources for the products.

450 Class Machines:

Heli Direct HDX450se v3 179.99 , 325 Pro carbon blades 14.22 , INO-Lab D202MG servos 34.99(3) . HDX 3552 Brushless MTR 19.99, Volcano 30A W/BEC 17.95, Futaba Rcvr 99.99
GRAND RC Logitech Gyro/Wservo 108.00

XHELI TG450SE 139.99, Blades as above 14.22, EXI 9G servos w/MG 9.00(3), Alpha 400 Mtr 3500KV 17.95, ESC as Above 17.95, GRAND RC Tele bee Gyro 29.00

These 450's while not Brand Named are Fibre glass framed, with all aluminum CNC Heads, Tails, full bearings.

Add in cost of xmtr batteries and charger, Xmtr $100, Batteries 22.99EA, Charger 55.00 (Call it 190$) and you can get a respectable limited 3d capable 450 sized Heli for between 373 dollars and 525 dollars with the majority of parts trex compatable.

A different approach would be for a 500 class machine. (This kit was a pleseant surprise)

XHeli EXI 500CF Carbon framed (TREX500 Clone)

EXI 500 CF Kit 139.00
425 carbon blades 49.00
volcano 60A ESC/BEC 34.95
GRAND RC Futaba 9257 servos 59.99 (4)
Align Brushless 500L 59.95
Logitech 2100 Gyro 75.00
Futaba rcvr 99.99

Double up on the batteries same xmtr same charger and costs would be 700 plus 220 for the bat,chrgr,xmtr

These numbers reflect the Cheap fleet I've put together. They also represent Helis that will not require much in the way of uprades for the mechanics anyway.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #611 (permalink)
Registered Users

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9299

I just ran across this 40A ESC and for only 8.99.

It supposedly has 2A Bec ouput, but that might be a little to low depending on your servos.

It has an external heat sink.

Has anyone tried this one?
Trex 600 ESP, Gaui 425
Old 08-23-2009, 12:33 PM   #612 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Man, that's cheap. The reviews on the HK site seem to be good for it too. It's impressive how prices on this hobby, especially the 450 stuff, keep dropping. I just got back from the park putting five batteries through my two birds and had a blast. Even the battery prices are way down. I paid about as much for those 5 zippy batteries as you would have paid for one battery not very long ago. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm having fun now.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:32 PM   #613 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have just gone though the mental experience of letting go of the 450's.

I bought a Pantera 50 nitro, and a 600ESP, so now the 450's dont seem so important.

I am sure I will crash a lot, but now I am free to have fun with the 450's as the parts on Ebay are just cheap and cheaper.

I finally feel free to learn and crash.

It's a great feeling!
Trex 600 ESP, Gaui 425
Old 08-25-2009, 10:32 PM   #614 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I know you don't want to re-kit that 600!

Eventhough the 450 cloans are really dirt cheap to the point of almost being disposable and the fact I have two flying at once and another kit and a pile of spare parts on hand, I still can't get over need to keep these things in one piece. Crashing one still hurts.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:33 PM   #615 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wonder if this canopy will fit.
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=9310
Pvtzemerak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2009, 09:34 PM   #616 (permalink)
Registered Users

Delete post please, i acidentally double posted
--Pvt
Pvtzemerak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2009, 10:19 PM   #617 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvtzemerak View Post
It should fit. If it is like the shark canopy, you will have to drill out the holes for the grommets.
AMA #895632
Axe Ez, Axe CP, Blade MCX, HDX 450SEv3, HK-450, HC-500
dwgwinn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2009, 10:46 PM   #618 (permalink)

I think the tail issue is a non event, I have a couple of early and later kits...

None of mine were as fragile as people on here claim - but I used files to really roughen the shaft and create something to hold onto before using studlock (loctite) and no more problems (well ... except for tail strikes .. hehe they seem to bugger tail gears)
biggercycle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2009, 07:27 AM   #619 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just received one of the new kits and the tail drive gear seems to be solid on this one. I had problems with the earlier one I had received several months ago. HK has aparently fixed the problem.

Just for your information, they are now providing a one piece landing skid molded out of plastic, instead of the built-up landing skid.

Everything else appears to be the same.
kensesc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2009, 11:21 PM   #620 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer38 View Post
I am writing an article on a super cheap 450 size electric for beginners. Alot of people who are considering the RC Helicopter hobby are put off by the cost. Well I found a Hong Kong Distributor that has the lowest prices and I was able to put together a complete Trex 450 S Clone for a Total cost of $161.90 shipped. www.hobbycity.com

This is a complete Helicopter minus the Transmitter, Receiver and Battery. All of the parts I compiled should fly well for a Beginner and it should be capable of some mild 3D as well.

They also have support equipment for extremely low prices, for instance a 6S Balancing charger for $37 and 3S 2200 20-30C Batteries for less than $25 . I have a few of these batteries and they give Great Performance for the price.

Attached is a PDF of Part 1, the Heli has been shipped today and I will post follow ups as things progress, Part 2 will cover the build up and test flights.

So if you already have a radio and want a really inexpensive 450 to play with, this might just be the ticket !

Please let me know what ya think, I will take lots of pictures during the build, and I also recommend the Finless Video's on the Trex 450 Build and set up.

Here are the completed articles Part 1 & Part 2 If you have any questions please shoot me a PM or E-mail and I will try and help you out as much as possible !

Part 1 http://helirc.org/article/cheap450part1.pdf

Part 2 http://helirc.org/article/cheap450part2.pdf

Thanks
I just registered and have been trying to find info on the TransPro V2 EXI 450-ZL.The servo mounts are not the same as the EXI 450SE which is a closer clone to the T-REX 450 that mount inside the airframe. These are on the side.It did not come with any instructions.
SkyDuct is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in