Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 130X

130X Blade 130X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanks View Post
I agree!! You should get a nice Futaba radio for the stuff you don't want to crash due to radio issues and a DX6I for all of the BNF stuff HH sells.
I have had the DX7, DX7s, DX6i and the DX8 and for the money the DX6i is the best of the bunch and the DX7s is a close second. Yes I have sent the DX6i back a couple of times for hardware updates, but its a Spektrum radio and that is to be expected.
If I had to rate the Spektrum radios I have had from best to worst it would go like this:

1. DX6i- least trublesome of the bunch, Best bang for the buck..
2. DX7s- As good as the DX6i, but way too expencive for what you get.
3. DX7- The most dificult of the bunch to program and very cheap feeling.
4. DX8- The worst of the bunch for reliability, price and quality! If you don't like your aircraft...by all means get this radio.

This rating is based on my experience and you mileage may very
What specific reliability or quality issues did you have with your DX8?
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedsprint View Post
Lots of quality issues when they came out, but I thought that was history - I hope so for my models!

Mine had bad stick centering which needed new pots and a factory firmware upgrade because it fell in the date range of those that had a few shoot downs when the vibration timer went off

I didn't have any in flight issues, but the centering was cured before I went FBL - that would have been a problem
toys2cars2toys is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #23 (permalink)
Architect of Ugh

My experience with the DX8 has been all I could ask for. I bought one of the newer releases back in November and it has performed flawlessly. They've had the bugs worked out for quite some time now.

I'm sure there's still the odd duck old stock units still on some shelves out there somewhere. Just buy from a high volume dealer and no worries.
Phoenix Sim, DX8, Gibson Les Paul, AMA #987871
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal." Thomas Jefferson
Maypole is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maypole View Post
My experience with the DX8 has been all I could ask for. I bought one of the newer releases back in November and it has performed flawlessly. They've had the bugs worked out for quite some time now.

I'm sure there's still the odd duck old stock units still on some shelves out there somewhere. Just buy from a high volume dealer and no worries.
+1. I've admittedly only had mine since January but have had absolutely zero issues and flawless performance in hundreds of flights on multiple aircraft, inside and outside, near and at some pretty good distances, so far since then. Though it sounds like there were clearly some issues when it was released, it seems like the more recent feedback has been much more positive than negative. Despite what anyone claims about their particular favorites, none of them are going to be absolutely perfect or without issues on at least a few units.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedsprint View Post
I had to send the DX8 in for the pot replacement, then for an issue with the vib alert, then had to send it back in because it kept unbinding with multiple different receivers, both on the ground and in the air that caused many crashes. I bought a DX6i as a backup for when the DX8 was in for service (of the 8 months that I had that radio it was in the shop at least 5 months). The DX6i never lost connection with the same receivers the DX8 could not keep bound to. After talking to many technical personal at HH and finally getting someone in upper management I explained to them that I didn’t trust the radio and I in good conscience could not sell the radio to someone else, they agreed to refund my money.
jdanks is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanks View Post
I had to send the DX8 in for the pot replacement, then for an issue with the vib alert, then had to send it back in because it kept unbinding with multiple different receivers, both on the ground and in the air that caused many crashes. I bought a DX6i as a backup for when the DX8 was in for service (of the 8 months that I had that radio it was in the shop at least 5 months). The DX6i never lost connection with the same receivers the DX8 could not keep bound to. After talking to many technical personal at HH and finally getting someone in upper management I explained to them that I didn’t trust the radio and I in good conscience could not sell the radio to someone else, they agreed to refund my money.
That would likely sour me on it too. I wonder if the 7S is any better since they share a lot of parts. (Thought I read that)
Old 05-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

There have been very few problems reported with the DX8 in the last 9 months or so. It seems they have fixed them. Mine is about 18months old now I think, did have an issue with the rudder pots that was corrected by the local (AU) distributor (it was only a few weeks old here), but has been fine since.

I would not anticipate any issues with either the 7s or the 8. The vast majority appear fine now.
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

As you see the consensus seems to be buy the better radio you can afford if you intend to stay in the hobby. My comment would be, whatever transmitter you buy, if your not happy with it or find your interests change, you should be able to sell it.

I have DX4e, DX5e,DX6i and DX8 with T1000 telemetry unit. Of the Spektrum units I have, the DX8 is my favorite.

I did send it back because the vibe didn't work. Transmitter worked fine, but I need the vibe for louder aircraft. No problem, unit was fixed quickly and returned to me.

I use the DX8 for my Mcx2, msr, MsrX, MQx, the Mcpx(s), 450 3d(s), 450x, Trex 550 and a couple of planks daily and it works fine. I don't fly everything everyday.... The 450x and the Mcpx(s) get the most use.

If your going to fly Blades, the Dx8 wouldn't be your worst choice. I do own other brand radios, even a 1 button control from many years ago... I haven't owned or used a 7, therefore any comment on it would be pure speculation on my part.

Whatever you ultimately chose, have fun. There are many on here who will help you, should you need it.

P_H_C
MCX2,MCPX,mSR,mSRx,MQX,B4503d,B450X,550e w/7200bx
Old 05-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can say this about the Spektrum raidos - Horizon Hobby customer service is top notch. My DX6i was exhibiting problems (or so I thought). I sent it to HH and they found nothing wrong (because it was my dumbass setup, not the TX) they & shipped it back to me & they paid the shipping. I bumped my DX8 & broke the gyro switch off. I sent it in to be fixed & they replaced the switch for free & again paid the shipping back to me.
MeatRocket is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nahh. I'll stick with my Futaba T8..

Mac on the move with Tapatalk
Marlex is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

The DX7s is really good, and it's all you'll ever need if you're not into scale, if the DX7 is good enough for Tareq Alsaadi, it sure is good enough for me.

Last edited by Daniel880516; 05-30-2012 at 05:56 PM..
Daniel880516 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlex View Post
Nahh. I'll stick with my Futaba T8..
Yes! That $500 radio will work great after you buy an extra $105 module to do what a $250 radio would do out of the box. Makes perfect sense for your first radio/helicopter combo!

Always one elitist in the bunch that's got to try the Spektrum/Futaba flame war.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatRocket View Post
Yes! That $500 radio will work great after you buy an extra $105 module to do what a $250 radio would do out of the box. Makes perfect sense for your first radio/helicopter combo!

Always one elitist in the bunch that's got to try the Spektrum/Futaba flame war.
Nothing wrong with Spektrum. I also have a DX6 but my personal preference is the T8. Yes, it's more expensive than the DX6 but IMO it's worth each dollar...That's all about it. Never tried to start some sort of war...??

Who the heck do you think u r yellin at me like that?

Old 05-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My first 8 was bought around December of last year. It was flawless with the exception of walking itself off a surface plate and breaking several parts in the process. Horizon sent me a new transmitter instead of fixing the old one (on their dime, and included some goodies too) and that one has been flawless as well with regards to centering or drifting pot issues. I'm not saying there weren't issues with this tx (and other DSMX stuff I believe) in the past, but I think that's been pretty much rectified in anything new.
The 6i I bought as a backup has been flawless as well. The interface isn't as easy to use, and they definitely don't put in software features on the lower end radio to encourage you to buy the nice one. Timer use is so nice on the 8, it can be auto triggered off the throttle, not so on the 6i which must be manually started. The sticks are decent on the 6i, but very nice on the 8. Model export is nice as well, even if it's just to back up settings and try something new, always keep a good working copy. Many of these upticks the 7s shares.
koko76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlex View Post
Who the heck do you think u r yellin at me like that?
The original question was about the best Spektrum radio (DX7S or DX6i) for the 130X. The poster then had a question about the DX8. "Nahh. I'll stick with my Futaba T8.." - There was no point in your post other than to be inflammatory. Nobody asked what you're sticking with, we don't care.
Futaba makes good stuff, but isn't applicable here. It basically amounts to the same thing as someone asking a question about a Blade 500 X & someone else chiming in that they'll just stick with their T-Rex 550. Fine, stick with it - in another thread relevant to the statement you're making.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, that's fine with me. Didn't think someone would take it as an offense or flame.

To have my opinion alittle bit more precise: I've owned several Spektrum tx up to the DX7. My last one was a DX6i and I just couldn't get familiar with it. It just didn't feel right in hands. A decent radio for sure thought. With the 50 bucks selfmade fut/spekt converter I'm now able to fly my beloved mcpx or the 130x with my T8.

Nitro mentioned that money isn't an issue so therefore I would probably go for the DX8 if it must be a Spektrum, or, in my case, stick with the T8.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nah I'll stick with my DX7s
Old 05-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel880516 View Post
Nah I'll stick with my DX7s
Old 05-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
The DX7s is really good, and it's all you'll ever need if you're not into scale, if the DX7 is good enough for Tareq Alsaadi, it sure is good enough for me.
Yeah I used to just fly the smaller RTF,s, nothing bigger than a Trex 250. I know the DX8 is a great radio, but I think the DX7s will suit my needs for now....
Gonna pick up Realflight 6 tomorrow to freshen up my thumbs before this bird comes in.
nitronuts is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Bert Kammerer seems to be enjoying his DX18 it looks like he has it in all his new vids.

Also the DX7 and DX7s are different entirely if I remember right as the DX7 is JR programming and the DX7s uses the same programming DX8 does.
BurritoSnake is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in