Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Preflight and then moving heli for takeoff w/CP2

Can you do the preflight over the area your planning to fly and then move it to asphalt to actually take off? I mainly fly over a grassy area but dont ever take off there because i dont want my tail rotor blades going through the grass. Would this mess up anything?

Chris_M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used a piece of corrugated cardboad that is about 3 feet by 3 feet as a take off and landing pad. I fly over a grassy soccer field. So far, I have run into no problem doing my preflight with the bird sitting on the cardboard and then flying over grass. You may wish to download the full CP II manual and check out page 19. It goes into quite a bit of detail regarding calibration. As I read it, the issues regarding calibration are simplified if you are using the Vertical Sensor Module.
Stumblebee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

al long as the temp difference is 5 degress or more it does not matter. I take off over asphalt and fly over grass, trees, dirt ect , if you get a "do not fly" you can hold the bird up in the air and take another reading as it will change. I seldom do a preflight,even when it overcast, as I live in the land of sun.........
Old 07-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for the replies guys. So obviously the temp change it going to be more going from grass to asphalt so that would be fine i take it. Also holding the heli up while doing a preflight is ok..I thought you were supposed to be back far enough that the sensors dont pick up your body? And N6...if you fly without doing a preflight and run into trouble where you will need to use the CP will it still activate?

Old 07-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes , the CP2 will work without a pre flight. and i presume you would hold the heli over you head , but then it would be hard to use the irnet controler? I read that somewhere. I dont recall my last "do not fly" except on the bench ...Larry
Old 07-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don"t preflight check anymore. Once i have all set to my liking, I fly. I also take off on asphalt and fly over grass.
KJones is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for the reply Larry. Im worried that the CP is another electrical component that if not set up or calibrated right make the heli crash. Last night i went to fly my 500 and did the preflight and it said all systems go. So i spooled the heli up and as i took off it started piroing out of control. I had no control over the tail servo and the gyro wasnt working. I landed it spinning and luckily just chipped a tail rotor but im like wtf? Walked over to it and all controls worked except the tail servo. So i unplugged and rebooted the esc and did the preflight again and this time everything worked fine except my tail was bouncing around because of the chipped blade. I am second guessing whether the CP is a good tool or just another component to have to worry about failing or sending false signals to the servos. Even when the CP is off the servos have to run through the avionics computer and that makes me worry. I guess i will give it some more time and see if its right for me.

Just saw your post KJones...whats the purpose of preflight if there is no need to do it?

Old 07-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The CP2 has no effect or control or the gyro or tail servo, Did you do you gryo set up with the Irnet controller, It use's "actual gain"
Old 07-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes i have my gain set at 35% and its holds perfect. I have flown with the CP about 8 times already and with it off mind you but have turned it on in flight to make sure it brings the heli back to level. Thats the only reason i have it is for those "mistakes"...either loosing orientation or as a safenet trying new tricks.
Is the preflight for those people who are actually flying with the CP on all the time?

Old 07-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

preflight is for checking the temps only, If you fly in snow and a overcast sky, I would use the preflight as a must. otherwise I just dont use it, go thru the preflight menu and you will see the info given,I dont see the need,such as 5 v to the rx, sky to ground 20 degrees. etc..........or if the verticle sensor was unpluged or the main sensor were uppluged you would recieve a warning........
Old 07-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm still new to cp, but i don't plug my battery in till i get to my take off spot. I only preflight check before changing any settings. I had problems with my sensors moving on me, but solved that . now all is good. The cp II has saved me many times and alot of $$.
KJones is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I take off and land on concrete and asphalt and fly over grass just fine.
l-fever is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Have you guys installed a "bailout" switch on your TX instead of using the gyro switch? I saw a post a while back where somebody put a momentary switch in there TX...thought that was pretty sweet since its alot easier than trying to reach for the gyro switch.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My "off /on" switch is the gear toggle , right in front of the throttle/pitch stick, so I just move my left index finger foward and its on, no looking needed.....Larry
Old 07-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by n6nev View Post
My "off /on" switch is the gear toggle , right in front of the throttle/pitch stick, so I just move my left index finger foward and its on, no looking needed.....Larry
Oh yeah its right there on the DX7. On my 6i is takes some reaching to get to. I think im gonna try and put a momentary switch in and see how that works out.
Well going to go for a fly and try taking off on the hot asphalt without doing a preflight. Hopefully the CP works like it should when i switch it on in the air. Thanks for the help!

Old 07-10-2010, 11:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmar143 View Post
Is the preflight for those people who are actually flying with the CP on all the time?
I am still very much a "noob" with my 450 and CP II. I have flown other helis for about a year. I am finding that I only have to do one preflight when I first get to the field. I do perform a visual of all the sensors to make sure they are clean and lined up properly before every flight. That is as routine as checking servo operation before every flight. For me, the most important thing is do take the time to give the bird a full mechanical check regularly and be sure to check connectors.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by n6nev View Post
I also use the gear switch on my DX7.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in