Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2009, 06:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default HELP with 250 purchase

So i have decided to pick up a 250 as a first heli and i have a few questions.....Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

Are the stock Align electrics descent (if i go with the super combo) or are they garbage and not worth messing with? I am pretty particular about quality and would rather not go the stock route only to have to upgrade in a few weeks....

Is there anything that needs to be done right away to get the heli sorted? Any necessary mods that everyone flying a 250 needs to do?

What would be a good recomended spares package?

Thanks for any help......
augustusblack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 07:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I've found the stock electronics to be just great but honestly if this is your first heli I definitely wouldn't recommend the 250. I'd go for something bigger -TRex 450 size would be ideal. The smaller they are, the harder they are to fly generally and I think a 250 would be a serious handful for a beginner. The 450 is definitely easier to see and fly whilst still being reasonably cheap. Up to you though -I'm not saying it can't be done.
J-S-Q is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2009, 07:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

hey.... thanks for the response.... i did seriously consider (and would prefer) the 450pro but at this time the 250 just makes more sense for me for a bunch of reasons....
Old 05-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm still pretty much a beginner, have a blade 400 and the 250.

I don't find the 250 hard to fly and in some ways less intimidating than the 400.
I did get a little practice on the 400 first though.

The 250 is fast and reacts quickly but it is also precise. I can get some basic practice done in a smaller area too.

It also stands a better chance of no damage in a small incident.

The 250 was also my first build and I had no real problems.

Hope you enjoy it.
miamiheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2009, 12:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess thinking about it, just hovering the 250 is not necessarily much more difficult than a 450 but I think once you start to fly it around, it's more difficult to keep track of it and it can get away from you very quickly.

I'd still most definitely recommend a 450 over the 250 if you're starting out but that's just my opinion and other's will of course have different thoughts on the matter.
J-S-Q is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2009, 12:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The stock servo's are great. I've crashed hard and they survived. I have not tried the stock gyro, I bought the kit with servos but no gyro and installed a Spartan with a 3500 tail servo. The motor and speed control have been good to. I have about 35-40 flights and 4-5 crashes ;>) and I'm pleased.
rcmadness is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2009, 02:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

i've asked the same question about the 250's electronics when i was shopping for mine... it was when people who don't even have the heli yet were blindly saying that the gyro was crap... i went ahead and purchased the Super Combo because the savings was good... i figured if the tail setup was bad, at the price i bought the Super Combo for (eBay) i would have still came out ahead buying a new tail gyro/servo than if i bought the Combo and a separate tail setup to begin with... this is when the Super Combo was heavily discounted compared to the Combo version...

now it is apparent that the problem with the tail is really the tail servo, and at the prices that the Super Combos are going for, i think it is cheaper to just buy them all together... i learned to fly with the Trex 250, and even though i can tell that the tail servos can be improved, i honestly don't think it is bad especially for just flying circuits...

i like how Align started packaging everything with the kit... you're getting their "bulk discount" on the electronics... compare that if you were to buy the electronics separate...
francisfaustino is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2009, 10:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in