Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Best length for a tail saver?

I'm cutting my own carbon fiber tail saver, and I was wondering if there is any kind of rule of thumb about its proper length. Should it touch the ground while the heli is sitting perfectly level on a flat surface, or if not, how much above the ground should the bead be? I ask because my cheap stock vertical fin didn't usually reach the ground, yet I believe tail saver rods are a bit longer. (The stock replacement tail boom end piece doesn't come with mounts for the vertical fin, so I'm switching to a tail saver instead.)
Ragtime is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2010, 11:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Which one did you get? This one

or this one:

The one on top has mounting holes for the vertical fin (this is the stock piece for the BCPP2). The bottom one is for gear driven tails and has no mounting holes for a vertical fin.
Bluerocktj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluerocktj View Post
Which one did you get? This one

or this one:

The one on top has mounting holes for the vertical fin (this is the stock piece for the BCPP2). The bottom one is for gear driven tails and has no mounting holes for a vertical fin.
The bottom one, plus a tail boom and wires, is what automatically comes with every main frame replacement I buy. (Hobby Shop told me you can't get just the main frame, but, looking online just now, I found out that's not true.) So I have the bottom one, and it doesn't even fit the motor correctly, I guess because it's the gearbox ending. Now to search online for the top one...

I'd still like to add a tail saver, though (which both endings can accomidate), because my vertical fin often gets stuck in the short grass during takeoff, and causes the heli to rotate violently upon liftoff, the gyro getting confused by the briefly-stuck fin. Whereas, the rubber ball ("tail saver bead") that goes on the end of the carbon fiber tail saver is spherical so that it can't get dig into or get easily caught on anything. I'm in very short grass, and still have the "gyro confusion" problem if the tail fin encounters even minor and momentary lateral ground resistance.

I'm sure I can guess an appropriate length for the tail saver, but since carbon fiber is a hassel to cut, I wanted to ask people on here for the ideal measurement.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I highly recommend this place for parts, they have a complete selection: http://www.eboyztoyz.net/index.php?ncat=01027. It is Eflite part # EFLH1321. Looks like they're out of stock though. I gotta stop recommending this place .

Instead of the tail saver, I would suggest using a piece of cardboard or a rubber door mat as a small helipad for taking off in the grass. It keeps your skids and tail from catching on the grass and makes takeoffs much easier.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
I highly recommend this place for parts, they have a complete selection: http://www.eboyztoyz.net/index.php?ncat=01027. It is Eflite part # EFLH1321. Looks like they're out of stock though. I gotta stop recommending this place .
Ya, I noticed they were out of stock. Went through Horizon instead, where it's in stock.
And thanks, I already shop at eboyztoyz -- they're great. Fast, simple, and cheap.

Quote:
Instead of the tail saver, I would suggest using a piece of cardboard or a rubber door mat as a small helipad for taking off in the grass. It keeps your skids and tail from catching on the grass and makes takeoffs much easier.
That sounds like a good idea. (Great, one more thing I have to carry a hundred yards from the car . I guess I should finally get a carrying case. I suppose I could just carry the cardboard under my arm .)
Old 01-04-2010, 06:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use to use and still keep a piece of cardboard in my car, but I discovered something better. I do a lot of rockclimbing and bouldering when I'm not flying helis, so I have a bouldering pad (aka crash pad) similar to this one that I use for a helipad. I just put it on my back with the shoulder straps, and carry the rest of my gear to the middle of the grass field where I normally fly. Also makes a nice place to sit or laydown on between flights.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just make it long enough that it protects the tail blade without being so long that it rests on the ground. Nothing critical about it.
Phoebe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in