Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > HobbyWing ESC's

HobbyWing ESC's HobbyWing ESC Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2015, 08:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Governor gain on HW 100?

Is there a way to adjust the gov gain on the HW 100's! My tail on my 380 is "ever so slightly" kicking out on tic tocs and punch outs... I've tried to remove it buy no luck.... I remember my tail was kicking out a little bit on my Blade 550x a while ago while using a Castle 120hv and I dialed it out with the Castle software using the gov gain parameters in the Castle Link software..... Does the same hold true on the HobbyWing's?
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2015, 06:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiller0 View Post
Is there a way to adjust the gov gain on the HW 100's! My tail on my 380 is "ever so slightly" kicking out on tic tocs and punch outs... I've tried to remove it buy no luck.... I remember my tail was kicking out a little bit on my Blade 550x a while ago while using a Castle 120hv and I dialed it out with the Castle software using the gov gain parameters in the Castle Link software..... Does the same hold true on the HobbyWing's?
Unfortunately there is no way to adjust the gov gain on any of the V3 escs. Try adjusting your collective pitch compensation in your fly system.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Governor gain on HW 100?

Thanks man... I've tried that...another guy I know had the same issue and he changed to the Ikon's gov mode using the adapter cable for the external gov out to the Ikon and it went away... I haven't tried that yet as I LOVE the gov on the HobbyWing and it's really not THAT big of a kick..... I think it may be that the HobbyWing fights to keep the constant headspeed at all costs and the gain is preset to a higher internal value....... So, I may try the external Ikon gov and report back soon....
Old 10-05-2015, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good luck dude
Old 10-06-2015, 10:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiller0 View Post
Thanks man... I've tried that...another guy I know had the same issue and he changed to the Ikon's gov mode using the adapter cable for the external gov out to the Ikon and it went away... I haven't tried that yet as I LOVE the gov on the HobbyWing and it's really not THAT big of a kick..... I think it may be that the HobbyWing fights to keep the constant headspeed at all costs and the gain is preset to a higher internal value....... So, I may try the external Ikon gov and report back soon....
FBL gov is far superior to a esc gov because it knows all of your stick inputs and can act biased on the input you are giving. Grab a rpm sensor and take advantage of all the development Alex and others have put into that iKON gov. Play around with precomp as well if it still isn't to your liking.
vtown nick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 11:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used the Ikon Gov on my trex and imo it wasn't much different than the castle gov with getting back to proper HS after an overspeed. Even after the last update, didn't feel any different.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSyd3D View Post
I used the Ikon Gov on my trex and imo it wasn't much different than the castle gov with getting back to proper HS after an overspeed. Even after the last update, didn't feel any different.
Yea, totally doesn't play well with overspeeds

Component 700e smackdown (4 min 1 sec)

Goblin 570 maiden (3 min 44 sec)
vtown nick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2015, 01:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've seen those overspeeds in person and they're no joke.

The way Castle ESC's handle overspeeds IS a joke. It chops throttle, so if you load the head up right after the overspeed the heli will BOG like it has shut down.

The Brain governor seems to hold throttle output for a second when the OWB unlocks. So what happens if you settle into a hover, is that the rotor stays at a higher RPM that setpoint for JUST a second. However, if you overspeed it and load the head right back up, the Brain governor gets right back into its groove and holds headspeed just fine.

I suspect any bogging after an overspeed on the Brain is a tuning issue. Just like I suspect that if the Castle governor had more tuning options, we could cure its bad tendencies. But the fact is, Castle doesn't offer this. Brain does. For me, FBL governor is the only way to go.
jmtyndall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2015, 06:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtown nick View Post
Yea, totally doesn't play well with overspeeds

Component 700e smackdown - YouTube

Goblin 570 maiden - YouTube
It would be foolish to expect anything less from any heli coming from one of the guys that helped develope the algorithms for the ikon.
Not an average pilot by any means and even alex will tell you there was a huge number of flights to get that working the way it does.
Once again Nick, don't get my words twisted. I said the Ikon gov didn't work for me. It MAY have had I wanted to focus time on tuning but I'd rather focus my time on flying and progressing. For me personally, I prefer products that fit my flying style with as little tuning as possible until I progress to the point where something needs to be tweeked.
It does seem the Ikon gov works well on 450 size machines with little to no tweeking so maybe it will work for him.
But I can tell you that none of my helis bog or miss a single beat on the HW gov.

Last edited by DarkSyd3D; 10-07-2015 at 09:30 AM..
DarkSyd3D is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in