Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Atom 500

Atom 500 Compass Atom 500 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Atom 500 set up problems...Have a look at these pics...

I'm about fed up with all the issues I see in this model!

2 questions for you Compass experts... Have a look..

1) With the swashplate level tool in place, the links screwed all the way into the delrin rods, I still have quite a bit of positive pitch... No more adjustment unless I cut the delin rods shorter.. assuming the swash levelling tool is the correct height ( 11.5mm thick).. Yes, the jesus bolt is attached to the bottom hole, the upper hole would make it even worse...

2) With one of the blade grips attached to the swashplate, look at the pic of the opposite link.. It won't line up with the ball because the hole in the pitch arm (attached to the main grip) has been drilled at an angle and not centered.... Yes my screw is correctly threaded and not cross threaded.. The problem compounds itself as the blade grip increases pitch making the error even greater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2268.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	222144   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2269.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	222145  
Humble, TX

Last edited by g2driver; 04-16-2011 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: Title change
g2driver is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

"1) With the swashplate level tool in place, the links screwed all the way into the delrin rods, I still have quite a bit of positive pitch... No more adjustment unless I cut the delin rods shorter.. assuming the swash levelling tool is the correct height ( 11.5mm thick).. Yes, the jesus bolt is attached to the bottom hole, the upper hole would make it even worse..."

G2Driver,

1) Unsnap the ball link from the swashplate.

2) Unscrew the ball link from the bottom of the Delrin drive tube (you will have to grab the Delrin drive tube so that it does not rotate).

3) Shave about 1/32" from the bottom of the drive tube (you want to do this a very small bit at a time). You can trim it with a sharp X-Acto knife.

4) Remove the threaded stud from the ball link.

5) Grind off a small portion of the ball link, where the stud threads in.

6) Re-install the stud and thread it back into the Delrin drive tube.

If you do not have the amount of adjustment you need, repeat the procedure. Again, do this in very, very small increments.

Repeat for the other side.

Of the three Atoms I have worked on thus far, my very early one needed this, as did one of the others.

It is not a big deal and will provide you with the adjustment that you need.

This is still easier to deal with than some machines (of other brands) which have required trimming the metal pushrods and chasing the threads on them in order to arrive at the correct lengths.

"2) With one of the blade grips attached to the swashplate, look at the pic of the opposite link.. It won't line up with the ball because the hole in the pitch arm (attached to the main grip) has been drilled off center... Yes my screw is correctly threaded and not cross threaded.. The problem compounds itself as the blade grip increases pitch making the error even greater."

A very small amount of this sweep forward is not a problem (from the photograph, yours will probably be alright-I think at least one of mine was this way). I worked on a friend's ship the other day, which exhibited and extreme amount of this tendency . In that particular case, he was repairing the machine after a crash, which bent the bolt, threaded down from the top of the "Y" shaped link at the top.

Make sure that the Delrin drive tube is straight, and that the bolt mentioned above is straight. Also make sure that there is only one of the very small washers on the threaded portion of the bolt which retains the "Y" shaped arm on each side of that arm, on both arms.

If you examine the arm (actually, both arms) and they are not identical/symmetrical, contact the distributor and they will make it right. If it came from Nankin-contact Mike-he is outstanding at customer service.

Thank you for taking the time to take the photographs-that helped a very great deal.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Thanks

#1) I can trim the length of the delrin rod assembly.. Just odd that Compass is sending out parts that need modification... Of course, I've had various other issues with this build too..

#2) The higher the swashplate, the more distance between the ball link and the ball on the swashplate... This is definitely going to require replacement..no modifications are possible...I can see the ball link popping off in flight due to the tension that will be on it....

#3) Contact Mike.. Yes, I will... However I'm heading out of the country tomorrow and won't be back for a week... Mike has been awesome to deal with, just wish the kit was as awesome as he is
Humble, TX
Old 04-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

"#1) I can trim the length of the delrin rod assembly.. Just odd that Compass is sending out parts that need modification... Of course, I've had various other issues with this build too.."

I would rather they make the links a bit too long, than too short. One cannot cut them down and make them longer...

"#2) The higher the swashplate, the more distance between the ball link and the ball on the swashplate... This is definitely going to require replacement..no modifications are possible...I can see the ball link popping off in flight due to the tension that will be on it...."

"#3) Contact Mike.. Yes, I will... However I'm heading out of the country tomorrow and won't be back for a week... Mike has been awesome to deal with, just wish the kit was as awesome as he is "

Stick with it and you will be rewarded with an outstanding machine.

Remember that there are many here to assist you sir.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

are these common issues with atom 500?
panz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

"are these common issues with atom 500?"

No.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm just the lucky one I'm just very happy to have Mike at Nankin backing me up.. It was a question I asked him before I purchased... He has definitely provided the support!

Good night ya'lll... Gotta catch a flight to Hong Kong in the AM..
Humble, TX

Last edited by g2driver; 04-17-2011 at 05:16 AM..
Old 04-16-2011, 09:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Raj,

I would disagree with you regarding the quality of the Compass links, although there was a problem with yours, they are very high quality links and I have never had one fail in any way.

The guys testing the 7HV's are using them with no problem.

I am checking regarding the swashplate spacing issue- I will post again when I get to the bottom of it.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What swash leveling tool is that? It looks thicker than than the compass brand one I use. Too thick leveling tool = the swash will be too high and the pitch will be positive.

Nelson P
npomeroy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2011, 05:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default swash tool

That's the swash levelling tool that came in the kit.. It's approx 11.5 mm thick.

The swashplate is definitely not too high on the shaft with the tool in place...
Humble, TX
Old 04-17-2011, 05:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes that is the correct tool at 11.5mm. Man you have been having some bad luck with your kit. Either it was made on a friday arvo just before knock off time or you have been picking up on things that others have missed or just havn't worried about.
My kit had the usual one or two scratch your head moments but besides that it went together great.
Once you sort your issues you will love this heli.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Guys,
I'm having this issue as well. Had other issuess like part fitment as well as screws
that where supplied too long. Installating & learning about the Beastx now. Let's hope that all the set backs that I have with the Atom will be compensated for when I maiden
her
jchen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2011, 11:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcweld View Post
Yes that is the correct tool at 11.5mm. Man you have been having some bad luck with your kit. Either it was made on a friday arvo just before knock off time or you have been picking up on things that others have missed or just havn't worried about.
My kit had the usual one or two scratch your head moments but besides that it went together great.
Once you sort your issues you will love this heli.
Yes, I agree... a combination of a possible bad kit combined with the fact that I am very observant to detail...been building helis for a long time and I always find the problems...lol

Being in the aviation field as a pilot and licensed aircraft mechanic with heli specialty , I am very picky and detailed when I build...everything is dial indicated and balanced and measured...with that comes stress ..lol. Perhaps I should just hammer the thing together and fly....naw...can't do it:
Humble, TX

Last edited by g2driver; 04-18-2011 at 12:13 PM..
Old 04-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

didn't read the whole thread only the OP but when i used my compass swash tool that came in my 6hv kit it was all wrong...with the tool my swash sat too high causing to have uneven pitch...so just had to go in 3 turns on each link and fixed all my issues
Fusion 50 9080/9088 Beast X
Velocity 50n 9080/9088 VbarSAB Goblin 9180/9188 Kontronik helijive Coming soon
AnTi Taco is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My leveling tool is 9mm thick. It seems crazy to need to shorten links etc if the only problem is the leveling tool pushing the swah plate too high.

Nelson P
Old 04-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

CPS-06-0501S
This the part number for the 9mm leveling tool. It is Compass product.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Don't tell me - let me guess: Compass are supplying leveling tools that are intended to just sit on the the frame block, i.e. don't have magnet to allow them to slide up and down the shaft?? So it makes sense for them to be a particular thickness (even if it is sometimes wrong).

But have you (the OP) decided what to do about servo arm geometry yet...

With most servo/arm combinations it is impossible to get 90deg for everything on the Atom 500. It is most important for the servo-arm/link-rod to be 90deg which means having the arm angled down, not horizontal (see https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=268048). THIS BEING THE CASE why not level the swash with servo arms horizontal, and the blades at some positive pitch (making sure they match). THEN remove the leveling block, lower the swash to zero pitch, and continue the mechanical setup.
Just an idea.

Nelson P
Old 04-18-2011, 08:24 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by npomeroy View Post
Don't tell me - let me guess: Compass are supplying leveling tools that are intended to just sit on the the frame block, i.e. don't have magnet to allow them to slide up and down the shaft?? So it makes sense for them to be a particular thickness (even if it is sometimes wrong).

But have you (the OP) decided what to do about servo arm geometry

Nelson P
I have not gotten to the servo geometry yet.... My point is....there are not a multitude of ways to set these FBL machines up... They come with the same length main shafts, thus....the swash leveling tool should all be one size (to set center of travel) and the pitch control arms should not require any other gross adjustment other than minor tracking.

Good night folks...made it to Hong Kong...but my luggage didn't!
Humble, TX
Old 04-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by npomeroy View Post
CPS-06-0501S
This the part number for the 9mm leveling tool. It is Compass product.
This item does not show compatibility with the Atom 500...
Humble, TX
Old 04-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2driver View Post
This item does not show compatibility with the Atom 500...
Well, it is compatible. I used it. It's just a leveling tool that magnetically clings to the shaft, and can be slid up and down while sitting perpendicular to the shaft. Hopefully people are getting my point of the earlier posts that the problem of link lengths is more easily solved by using a different leveling tool than by altering the link rods.

The Atom 500 is a great heli, but I hope any new version has the frame servo slots adjusted. Currently it is impossible to get all these items correct:
- servo arm ball on inner hole
- servo arm horizontal
- servo arm to link rod 90 deg
- link rod to swash plate 90 deg

See the thread link above when you get to this stage and make your own choice on a comprimise.

Best wishes on your presumably stimulating but exhausting jet pilot lifestyle.

Nelson P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in