Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2009, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Maidened the 500ESP :). Initial thoughts/impressions--3300mah Zippy 6S

Very happy overall with the heli. A touch of tracking adjustment and she flew nicely. Was a touch windy today, I'd say about 12-15mph winds. Inverted hover was very stable though. Power seems good, I'm running the bigger pinion included in the kit for higher headspeed. Idle 1 is set at 100-80-100. I think I might lower this to 90-80-90 to bring the HS down just a touch.

I have some tuning to do with my Spartan as I'm getting some tail shift on rapid power fluctuations ie tic tocs it will yaw left a bit, through negative collective.

One thing I wanted to mention is the battery tray mod didn't clear the Zippy 3300's for me. I could with GREAT effort get teh canopy on, but teh posts were flexing and I wasn't comfortable with that. What I did was use some of the breakaway tabs from the Outrage550(I bought a spare pack) and moved the posts forward about 7mm which works great .
Scorpion Power Systems/Batteries
Spartan RC
John Cook is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Hey man, I just ordered my new ESP the other day so your review is spot on what I'm looking to see in the 500 forums. I'm eyeballin' those Zippy 6S packs as I run their 3S already in my 450. VERY happy with the batts so your Outrage mod will be what I'll need to do. If you can drop a link to what you're talking about I'd really appreciate it bro. Keep it in one piece and let us know how it goes after the honeymoon is over.
RCSavager is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSavager View Post
Hey man, I just ordered my new ESP the other day so your review is spot on what I'm looking to see in the 500 forums. I'm eyeballin' those Zippy 6S packs as I run their 3S already in my 450. VERY happy with the batts so your Outrage mod will be what I'll need to do. If you can drop a link to what you're talking about I'd really appreciate it bro. Keep it in one piece and let us know how it goes after the honeymoon is over.
not sure if anyone else has used the canopy break off tabs
here is a pic

ps I'm going to use my TREX700 stand offs here in a bit, just wanted the plastics on for the first few flights

also some shots of my electronics install
ESC is under the battery tray, and the BEC is also stuff under there. Not alot of airflow so I'm goint to have to keep an eye on temps.

the grey thing is a spacer I'm using that was part of an Electric airplane prop(APC-e series for mounting on diff shafts) happened to have it handy.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trex500 002.JPG
Views:	1720
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	80978   Click image for larger version

Name:	trex500 003.JPG
Views:	1703
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	80979   Click image for larger version

Name:	trex500 004.JPG
Views:	1687
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	80980   Click image for larger version

Name:	trex500 005.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	80981   Click image for larger version

Name:	trex500 006.JPG
Views:	1674
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	80982  

Name:	trex500 007.JPG
Views:	1636
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	80983   Click image for larger version

Name:	trex500 008.JPG
Views:	1661
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	80984   Click image for larger version

Name:	trex500 009.JPG
Views:	1657
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	80985  
Spartan RC
Old 02-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location

TY sir
RCSavager is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2009, 10:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSavager View Post
TY sir
no problem
ps the saver tabs are the outrage G10 one's---pretty cheap

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=9653
Spartan RC
Old 02-07-2009, 10:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

ps in some of the pics you can see the K2 heli frame braces
HIGHLY recommended
nice product. Hit up fireup with a pm
Spartan RC
Old 02-08-2009, 08:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You could have done this, which is what most of us have done. Drill your 2 front holes fo lowering and for the rear, just use the frame cut out and canopy stand off to hold it in place.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mine fits perfectly under the canopy. I don't have any of the mods shown here. My battery tray sits flush with the frame. Pack fits like a glove. It can't be any higher on the tray than the body support pieces or the canopy won't fit. CG is dead nuts with the pack in this position. Is there a preference to run the pack between the frames for crash protection?

Weight is about 120g heavier than the KP 2600's I've been running. I'm getting 5:20 of 100% TC on stock 13T setup. These packs rock.
heli-on is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 01:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by heli-on View Post
Mine fits perfectly under the canopy. I don't have any of the mods shown here. My battery tray sits flush with the frame. Pack fits like a glove. It can't be any higher on the tray than the body support pieces or the canopy won't fit. CG is dead nuts with the pack in this position. Is there a preference to run the pack between the frames for crash protection?

Weight is about 120g heavier than the KP 2600's I've been running. I'm getting 5:20 of 100% TC on stock 13T setup. These packs rock.
Did you buy your heli used? The reason that I ask is that the zippy 3300mah batt will in no way fit under the canopy without any mods. It just fits with mods. Even with the mods there is only about a 1/2 inch area +/- along the tray that the battery will fit and still have the canopy go on.
rockjock3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 05:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoronaL View Post
not sure if anyone else has used the canopy break off tabs
here is a pic

ps I'm going to use my TREX700 stand offs here in a bit, just wanted the plastics on for the first few flights

also some shots of my electronics install
ESC is under the battery tray, and the BEC is also stuff under there. Not alot of airflow so I'm goint to have to keep an eye on temps.

the grey thing is a spacer I'm using that was part of an Electric airplane prop(APC-e series for mounting on diff shafts) happened to have it handy.

dude thats not a tray mod thats moving it gy a 5mm.
brougt myn down by 1,2mm and my 3300mah 6s zippys fit like a dream
hawkins221 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 07:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkins221 View Post
dude thats not a tray mod thats moving it gy a 5mm.
brougt myn down by 1,2mm and my 3300mah 6s zippys fit like a dream
yeah I would have brought it down a bit more but my BEC and ESC are under there and I couldn't bring i down further. Oh well, works as it is now
Spartan RC
Old 02-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Did you buy your heli used? The reason that I ask is that the zippy 3300mah batt will in no way fit under the canopy without any mods. It just fits with mods. Even with the mods there is only about a 1/2 inch area +/- along the tray that the battery will fit and still have the canopy go on.
I bought my GF new about 6 months ago. Dunno if changes were made to the ESP to prevent it from fitting?

Maybe the packs have changed? Just Rec'vd last Thursday and they measure 147x40x45mm.

As you can see from the pics, it does fit . . . . without changing squat.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010013.JPG
Views:	815
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	81263   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010014.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	81264  
Old 02-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

got a couple more flights on it today at lunch. That's why I bought it, so I could fly a few packs on my lunch hours, and my 600E is somethimes a PIA to haul about. I'm getting my outrage 550 ready to go too, these 2 should provide ample ability for lunchtime flying weather permitting.

my 2nd pack today I wanted to see how the pack helld up(zippy h 3300mah with 2nd cycle on it) I pretty much hammered the pack with tic tocs for 30-45 seconds straight, then did some loops rolls for a few seconds then back to tic tocs. Pack held pretty well for the first 3mins or so, then gradually you could hear the head bogging more. Not horrible though, I could still do tic tocs right to the end. Cells resting after flight at 3.73v, generally I would come down with 3.75-3.8v, so this did stress the pack a bit more hammering on it so. I had my timer at 6:30, but I'm going to lower it to 6mins to be on the safe side.

Overall, I do like the Zippy's. If they hold up over time they will be an incredible value. It's only in the 40's F here, even that 2nd pack that was hammered on came down pretty cool. Barely warm. Summer will change that some. I might lower my throttle curve just a bit to tune the HS just a touch lower as I don't think I need it where it's at now. Cyclics are very fast, and plenty of blade pop. If I can keep the cyclics as fast, and the pop I need I'll lower the HS a bit to save the battery a bit.

The high spot on my main gear seems to be wearing some, but I can hear it more in a hover than before. maybe I'm just "listening" closer I dunno. I might pull the gear in another 5-10 flights and replace to see if the noise stops.
Spartan RC
Old 02-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

I did 3 cycles of mild hovering to 50% discharge and then 2 using ID1 (90% on 13T stock setup) to about 60% discharge. My stock motor has at least 300 packs through it, too.

The 6th cycles onward have been hard 3D at 100% TC and plenty of power through entire 5:20 discharge (putting back in about 2400mah). I like to stick with a 75/25 rule for discharge.

What I've also found is that any pack doesn't fully 'come to life' until at least 10-15 cycles.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

yeah!
thx for that info

I generally try to break my packs in too, but tbh I've been so excited about getting out and flying after "hibernating" all winter here in IL, that I've thrown caution to the wind a bit, and just started running the first couple of packs. I'm keeping this limited to 2 of my 4 packs and will be taking it easy on the 2nd set of 2, and will then track how they react through repeated charge cycles etc... I'm also making a not of the cell resistance every 5 charges on the pack. We'll see how that changes in the lifespan as well. Right now packs 1/2 are at 65 and 63mOhms pack resistance according to my Hyperion duo charger.

In the past I had some 6S packs for my 600E that got up to about 125mOhms on that charger and I was starting to notice them losing some pop about 1-2mins into the flight. Then again, things are so skewed b/c that was about the time I got my 700 and everything seemed underpowered after flying that beast

Pack one did have first flight at only hovering and came down at 3.85v. 2nd flight on that pack was only mild FF and a few flips rolls etc.. and brought it down at about 3.75-3.8v.

Pack 2 has hit the ground running pretty much
Spartan RC
Old 02-10-2009, 08:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by heli-on View Post
I bought my GF new about 6 months ago. Dunno if changes were made to the ESP to prevent it from fitting?

Maybe the packs have changed? Just Rec'vd last Thursday and they measure 147x40x45mm.

As you can see from the pics, it does fit . . . . without changing squat.

Cool. Yea, batts are same diminsion, but didn't catch ESP. Mine T500 isn't the ESP and it looks like the changed the frame a bit in the front.
rockjock3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2009, 11:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

yeah my zippy 3300s fight in without mods as well (500 cf edition)
bobbybe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in