Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 04:57 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Didnt get why align has to change its main and autorotation gears.
ReadyToCrash is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2014, 08:37 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree with you Atomic. Now would have been a good time to beef-up and refine the one-way auto/gearcase and front tail case. They have made incremental changes to the former, but just not enough for the perfectionist in me. I guess good enough will have to be good enough. I suppose we might see it on the up-coming 2020 release of the 550L 3GXYZ Dominatrix Sport Pro V5. Thankfully the aftermarket does offer some answers, but ultimately, if you don't like it then vote with the pocketbook and buy another, I rekon.

Last edited by FNFAL; 06-27-2014 at 10:19 AM..
FNFAL is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 10:16 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile trex 550L

It seems under power in the video. Maybe they should use a different pinion. Or maybe it's just my eyes playing tricks on me. Lol
around24 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 11:34 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was contemplating a G570, but with this coming out I might go for the 550L.

Are RJXs any good? I could also get one off HobbyKing, they carry them now. I wonder how an HK RJX would compare to G570, if I use the same flybarless system on both, say the iKon?
prokyon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokyon View Post

Are RJXs any good? I could also get one off HobbyKing, they carry them now. I wonder how an HK RJX would compare to G570, if I use the same flybarless system on both, say the iKon?

You will not be disappointed with the G570 running on 12S. But you have to bear in mind the cost when you crash.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:24 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by around24 View Post
You will not be disappointed with the G570 running on 12S. But you have to bear in mind the cost when you crash.
My problem is the upfront cost of everything, because G570 does not come as a kit. I fly decent 3D, but I wanna work on my pilot skills and G570 is almost double the cost of the current 550E, but is it double the performance? With the same flybarless system, the only major differences are the servos and overall weight of the machine. 0.07s Align servos versus 0.06s TORQ I can live with, and as far as the weight goes, I actually like heavier machines when learning. So... I just can't push myself to cough up the loot for G570. I agree it's a better machine overall though, like comparing a Ferrari to a Lexus
Old 06-27-2014, 12:34 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Performance wise the G570 is very solid in the air compared to the other. You could use the DS615 for the cyclic and DS 655 for the tail. The ikon will work as well.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Performance wise the G570 is very solid in the air compared to the other. You could use the DS615 for the cyclic and DS 655 for the tail. The ikon will work as well.
hi,
i have a logo 600 and had a compass 6hv, and i just can't say they fly "better" than 600efl (especially 6hv).
what do you mean "solid"?
thanks.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
That's a good point! If I won't like the 550L, then I can sell the airframe, move everything over to the G570, change the motor pinion (Align has lower KV motor), change the tail pulley to run 2400 RPM headspeed (lower) and call it done! I wanted to run G570 on 6S due to battery costs anyway.

So... I want my 550L now!! Another month to wait? More?
Old 06-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

[QUOTE=ReadyToCrash;5927759]hi,
i have a logo 600 and had a compass 6hv, and i just can't say they fly "better" than 600efl (especially 6hv).
thanks.[/QUOTE

]My opinion on that is it all falls down to your personal preference and style of flying.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:23 PM   #31 (permalink)
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
I agree with you Atomic. Now would have been a good time to beef-up and refine the one-way auto/gearcase and front tail case. They have made incremental changes to the former, but just not enough for the perfectionist in me.
They are saving that for the V4 and V5 respectively Spaced 5 months apart

Quote:
G570 is almost double the cost of the current 550E, but is it double the performance?
It depends on what you want. I didn't like my 500 with the 730mx it just felt lazy to me. Everyone buys the 550 thinking they will share batteries with the 700. That was never the case for me. I heatshrink my 700 packs so sharing is out of the question. Plus the 550 really needs a 65C 5500mAh battery to balance out nicely. Maybe this new version will be different. I switched mine to the 600XF 12S KDE motor and the 550 is a blast to fly now! But if you want performance you will junk the ESC and motor that comes with the 550. The 730mx goes for a measly $70 when people try and sell them.
xokia is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 03:46 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

[quote=around24;5927899]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyToCrash View Post
hi,
thanks.[/QUOTE

]My opinion on that is it all falls down to your personal preference and style of flying.

What do you mean "solid"? I'm curious.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:20 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xokia View Post
Plus the 550 really needs a 65C 5500mAh battery to balance out nicely.
I understand that more mAh will add more weight on the nose to balance out the heavy tail, but why is the C-rating so high? I don't think that the motor will handle more than 130A, and the ESC definitely won't. Wouldn't a 30C pack be more than enough? Or am I missing something?
Old 06-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

nice!
BOOGIE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 09:07 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Wouldn't a 30C pack be more than enough? Or am I missing something?
I think most pack weights (of a given capacity) increase with the C-ratings.

Align T-Rex 800E DFC / Align T-Rex 550E DFC / Align T-Rex 450L / Align T-Rex 450 Pro
Nspector8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 10:01 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nspector8 View Post
Makes sense. But if 30C is enough, then why not increase the flight times by just slapping on a bigger mAh pack? I've seen 5800 mAh Zippys which should provide enough mass to shift the weight forward. Can always move the pack forward more too, or bold on a carbon fiber plate and then really move the pack forward. I worked on this thing, which I'm selling now, and I got really skilled at cutting carbon fiber easy as pie.
http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=249217
Old 06-27-2014, 10:01 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

After feeling the difference between the 450 DFC Pro and 450L Dominator it just reaffirms the benefits of a geometrically correct servo layout and better CG/weight distribution. Even with the same 6s motor, esc and servos/blades the DFC Pro doesn't track nearly as well or transition like the 450L.

Most high end manufacturers have known for years that when the arc of the servo horns is considered it's ideal to ensure the horn arc is uniform for all 3 servos and that lifting the swash from inside where the servo horns arc towards the main shaft you end up with slight advantage and more symmetric inputs.

I'm still waiting on a blazing fast(for linear) super HV 4s linear servo to be released
ChrisT88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 11:15 PM   #38 (permalink)
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nspector8 View Post
Yea the weight reason the higher the C rating typically weigh more.

Quote:
Makes sense. But if 30C is enough
C rating are poop so YMMV. I've seen 30C batteries perform better then some 65C batteries. The 730mx is very power hungry. I was pulling 150 burst amps on mine easy. Still felt like it ran a little flat I ran the pulse 65C 5500s. The talon 90 is not enough ESC for the 730mx motor you will see a performance increase just by going to the next size up ESC. If I were buying the Align 550 I would buy it bare bone JMO.
xokia is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 11:43 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

I built one and the quality is at least as good as Align, and the engineering is better imo. I got the belt version but looking at the instruction manual the TT system is much better than Align's. You can drop the TT gearbox without removing the boom and instead of umbrella gears that go over a spline on the TT they use replaceable bevel gears that rotate on shafts in the front and tail gearbox (you can reuse the shafts and just replace the plastic gears). The problem with RJX is local parts availability in the US. If you are in Europe though you have several local sources for replacement parts.

You can also throw an X-Treme 90 boom on it and run 700mm blades, the stock blade grips can take 14mm wide blades (the head is overbuilt for a 600 class helicopter and it uses the same gears as the X-Treme 90)

One odd thing is that the tail is on the left side instead of the right. Previously they shipped the TT version with a left handed bellcrank and the belt with a normal right handed one but lately they seem to just be shipping both versions with the left side tail (the tailcase is symmetrical and can be installed either way)
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 09:39 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi_tuga View Post
Still looks heavy, and in the youtube footage i seen, also flies heavy, this without canopy...
Really? Looked pretty quick to me.

Lynx Team Pilot
Pitch-Itch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in