Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X Brushless Mods

mCP X Brushless Mods Blade Micro CPx Brushless Mods and Conversions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default still learning about BL, just need a little clarification.

ok, so with where we are at right now with the brushless conversions, there is no need for a convertor because the ESC can now be flashed or the converter is built into the esc, right?

if ESCs are flashed, that means that they can run in governed mode. this means that we can set a constant headspeed no matter what motor we use, is that correct? so this means that i can use a hp05, but set it to run at c05 or m5 speeds, so will this allow me to use the hp05 with the stock tail motor and extended boom for now, until i am ready to upgrade the tail?

i understand that many people are against the PNP solutions, but i think that is the direction i am heading because if the motor or something goes wrong, i can still unplug everything, put my stock motor back and still be flying.

i plan to get the oversky 10a from topcopter, and this esc is ok for the hp05 motor right?

i dont do any hardcore 3d, i just like flying around fast, and doing a flip or loop here and there. I also would like to learn how to fly inverted. I also would like to keep it inexpensive as possible, so i will not be buying new batteries right now, or one of the nice aftermarket frames. maybe in the future when im done with school and have a better paying job.

also what does it mean when people talk about the "Gear mesh" is that an actual part, or are they talking about how the gear and pinion fit? also, what does non-linear throttle response mean? it always comes up when people speak about the PNP solutions.

Thanks and sorry if these are dumb questions. I also apologize if my English is bad.
Derfman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 04:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfman View Post
ok, so with where we are at right now with the brushless conversions, there is no need for a convertor because the ESC can now be flashed or the converter is built into the esc, right?
That is correct if flashed with the blheli code

Quote:
if ESCs are flashed, that means that they can run in governed mode. this means that we can set a constant headspeed no matter what motor we use, is that correct? so this means that i can use a hp05, but set it to run at c05 or m5 speeds, so will this allow me to use the hp05 with the stock tail motor and extended boom for now, until i am ready to upgrade the tail?
Yes you can. The blhelisetup tool makes it very easy to set the right % in governor mode based on KV, number of poles and gear.

Quote:
i understand that many people are against the PNP solutions, but i think that is the direction i am heading because if the motor or something goes wrong, i can still unplug everything, put my stock motor back and still be flying.
We are not against, but most of want the weight of the bird as light as possible => longer flight times.
When soldered you have less connections where you might have current losses due to bad connections and wires that are too long.

Quote:
also what does it mean when people talk about the "Gear mesh" is that an actual part, or are they talking about how the gear and pinion fit?
When the gear mesh is too tight, the motor needs more power to make the blades spin, so you're wasting energy.

For you other questions, someone with more experience can answer them better
Old 07-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

thank you so much. i've been reading about it as much as i can, but there is just so much info that i wasnt sure if i understood it right. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

the Co5m or M5 can use the 250 or 300mah packs, where the larger HP05 or larger motors require the larger packs (550mah) to get decent run times. you have about 3 to 4min of flight time with the smaller packs on the CO5m motors, some say you can get longer flight times but in either case you will need to mod the tail, either with a longer boom (minimum upgrade with a BL motor), or you can change the motor out to a SR120 which can support either the Co5m or HP05's when you put the correct blade on and adjust the boom length to support the motor mod chosen.

Using alternate booms will mean cutting and fitting them to the airframe, the stock frame supports 2mm booms, thus if you are not upgrading the frame then you should work with the smaller diameter CF booms.
Trex 550E FS Vbar Pro 5.2- EXI-450T Mini Vbar Pro 5.2 - EXI 450T BeastX - Trex 250SE - mCPx v1 Hp05 & HP06 w/HP03t tails - AMA #952544
Starcruiser is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
formerly koi-fish

for those who have used a black dragon, 300 mah or 550 mah?

And, is a 7mm walkera motor with walkera prop sufficient?
/ 180cfx, 300x, X3,X4-II, Protos 380, Chase 360, x5, Logo 480, Gob 380, Gob 500, Gob 570, Warp 360, 450x, forza 450/450ex, T-Rex 600 Dom, Logo 600, DX9, 1973 Ford f100, Traxxas Summit/Bronco/Bandit/X-Maxx

"Everyone wanted his soul, all he gave them was a smile" - Steve Marriott
Diogenes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I heard that the Black Dragon Motor is similar to a CO5m in power. SO you could fly it with a 300mah pack, the 550's are good for the larger motors, HP05s and above (even though I fly them in the CO5m too from time to time.

I use a SR 120 tail motor on my CO5m MCPx with a Walkera prop, works fine on this one and the HP05s MCPx too. I use different boom lengths is all.
Trex 550E FS Vbar Pro 5.2- EXI-450T Mini Vbar Pro 5.2 - EXI 450T BeastX - Trex 250SE - mCPx v1 Hp05 & HP06 w/HP03t tails - AMA #952544
Old 07-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Topcopter doesn't have the bd or c05 motor, but does carry the m5. The m5 should be the same as the c05, right?

btw, what tools do people normally use to mod the stock frame?

Last edited by Derfman; 07-24-2012 at 06:20 PM..
Old 07-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can fly the Black Dragon on 300 mah's or 550's. As far as the prop my Black Dragon setup has the low powered HP03 tail motor and the planco prop. I have to say this is the smoothest, quietest, most balanced setup that I have. Perfect for flying circuits and testing new stuff in an enclosed space. You can see my signature and the Black Dragon setup is the one I fly most right now.
alex7703 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Good Black Dragon Setup

Motor:

http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com...ck-dragon-bd-4

9T Pinion:

http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com...ent-1mm-shafts

ESC: I prefer the XP-12A. I have bad luck with the 7A's, but the 7A is cheaper and sufficient. Dylan will flash it for you for $5.00.

http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com...xp-7a-1-2s-esc

Tail ESC:

http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com...s/xp-3a-1s-esc

Tail Motor Mount:

http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com...l-motor-mounts

Tail Motor:

http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com...ess-tail-motor

Tail Prop:

http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com...il-rotor-blade
alex7703 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

9T on M5/C05, M5 same as C05 but has better mount for main frame, is way to much bogging, would recommend 8T

on my hp05s i can run 250/300mah for 3:00-3:30min(3d), 550mah i run for 5:00-5:30min, i like the smaller one cause of the lightweight, real fun! 550mah works very well too and have better power reserve for very hard moves

i would recommend the black dragon motor(dylan astroid design), power+drain is between M5/C05 and HP05S on 8T(lesser bog) or 9T more headspead, should be the most powerful motor for 250/300mah with flighttimes around ~4min+

as tail, 7mm brushed with longer tail boom should be enough, 120sr is overkill and way too heavy

BLHeli with locator beacon now!
honkytown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
formerly koi-fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex7703 View Post
You can fly the Black Dragon on 300 mah's or 550's. As far as the prop my Black Dragon setup has the low powered HP03 tail motor and the planco prop. I have to say this is the smoothest, quietest, most balanced setup that I have. Perfect for flying circuits and testing new stuff in an enclosed space. You can see my signature and the Black Dragon setup is the one I fly most right now.
I've got a twin tail at the house that I'm gonna use for a while with it till I have problems with it, then I'll likely go hp03t. Also my fundage is limited at the moment.

Heli currently has a walkera/Steve combo, gonna leave it that way for a while as well. Got a bd recently for a good price, so I wanted to put it to use.

Later on,will convert to bl heli when I feel like tearing it down and there's more cash available.
/ 180cfx, 300x, X3,X4-II, Protos 380, Chase 360, x5, Logo 480, Gob 380, Gob 500, Gob 570, Warp 360, 450x, forza 450/450ex, T-Rex 600 Dom, Logo 600, DX9, 1973 Ford f100, Traxxas Summit/Bronco/Bandit/X-Maxx

Old 07-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex7703 View Post

looks like the the bd motor is not in stock right now, and im pretty much set on using the stock tail motor on an extended boom for now, so i dont want to get anything too powerful that will cause a lot of tail blowouts on the stock motor.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by honkytown View Post
9T on M5/C05, M5 same as C05 but has better mount for main frame, is way to much bogging, would recommend 8T

on my hp05s i can run 250/300mah for 3:00-3:30min(3d), 550mah i run for 5:00-5:30min, i like the smaller one cause of the lightweight, real fun! 550mah works very well too and have better power reserve for very hard moves

i would recommend the black dragon motor(dylan astroid design), power+drain is between M5/C05 and HP05S on 8T(lesser bog) or 9T more headspead, should be the most powerful motor for 250/300mah with flighttimes around ~4min+

as tail, 7mm brushed with longer tail boom should be enough, 120sr is overkill and way too heavy

i think i'll go with the m5 and 8t. thanks
Old 07-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Good call!
new bee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
formerly koi-fish

Well, here it is, maidened the black dragon this evening. This is a bird I bought a while back that I've done a couple of things to to make it mine, including adding the mentioned BD14 this evening. Has just enough power to where I can get going well, but not be scared of it. As I mentioned, it has a Walkera/Steve combo and flies really great. Wont be converting it to blheli anytime soon because if it aint broke, aint gonna fix it. I like the BD a lot, really smooth, right between the C05 and HP05, which is where my skill level is at the moment.

When/if I kill the tail assembly, will be putting a HP02t in to replace it. I kind of like the way the twin tail looks though, the jury's still out on whether I'm gonna keep it or not.

Wanted to post a pic before I mashed it.....

Old 07-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by koi-fish View Post

Well, here it is, maidened the black dragon this evening. This is a bird I bought a while back that I've done a couple of things to to make it mine, including adding the mentioned BD14 this evening. Has just enough power to where I can get going well, but not be scared of it. As I mentioned, it has a Walkera/Steve combo and flies really great. Wont be converting it to blheli anytime soon because if it aint broke, aint gonna fix it. I like the BD a lot, really smooth, right between the C05 and HP05, which is where my skill level is at the moment.

When/if I kill the tail assembly, will be putting a HP02t in to replace it. I kind of like the way the twin tail looks though, the jury's still out on whether I'm gonna keep it or not.

Wanted to post a pic before I mashed it.....

thats a nice looking mcpx.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Co5m with MH frame and SR120 tail (3mm boom)

The HP05s with MH bling and SR120 tail, soon to be HP03t when they come back in stock.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by honkytown View Post

+1 on all of this. I run the BD motor with 7mm tail on an extended boom. Hold is great, and I never get tail blowouts now. The only place I differ with tis post is that I get 3:30 flight time on the 250/300 batteries instead of 4+ minutes.

I've not had a chance to test the 550's yet other than hovering in my yard.
XK K110 - Metal Head / Swash, K120 Tail Rotor
Blade 150S - 3D Printed Main Gear
Sumpy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
formerly koi-fish

Wouldn't mind getting a spare black dragon motor if any one wants to part with one. Any one have one they want to sell?

Old 07-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by koi-fish View Post
for those who have used a black dragon, 300 mah or 550 mah?

And, is a 7mm walkera motor with walkera prop sufficient?
I'm using the 300 mah for my black dragon with twin 6mm tail motors..

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvWwH3Vk5ec&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]
f.a.r.m.e.r is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in