Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 150 Class Electric Helicopters

150 Class Electric Helicopters 150 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Servo saver mod

Edit: This can apply to any micro that uses rotary servos, really. I've personally done it on several Walkeras as well as my 150.

Back when I first started flying, I was flying Walkera micros. They've been using rotary servos for a while, and I was constantly stripping servo gears. Once I found the servo saver mod, I never stripped another servo. I've since done the same mod on my 150 and as expected, have not stripped a servo since. Instead, the servo arm jumps, and you just have to put it back before you fly again.

Follow these instructions: http://benmlee.com/Genius_Servo_Saver.htm

Make sure you read every step. If the arm is too loose, put some kind of rubber ring around it to make it tight. Pic attached below of what I've done.

Last edited by gabeoravitz; 02-15-2014 at 12:37 AM..
gabeoravitz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is the rubber around the servo arm fuel tubing?

Thanks,
John
Citizen #396
jmiceli11 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2014, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

No but that stuff works too. I don't even remember what these little rubber things were for. I had them in my box of random stuff. I think they might have been rubber skid grips things for my 450 or something. Or maybe 250 dampers of some kind? I sliced them in half to make them thinner.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's a pretty neat idea. I wonder if it makes sense to do something like this on larger helis (250/450) as well?
mba83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
HF Support

I may have to give this a shot.

Worst case if it didn't work is I'd need a servo gear set that includes a new horn anyways, so it's definitely worth a try if it can save the gears.

I'll have a look at the hardware store to see if they have some small rubber o-rings that will work.

Thanks for the idea.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2014, 04:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Servo saver mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mba83 View Post
That's a pretty neat idea. I wonder if it makes sense to do something like this on larger helis (250/450) as well?

I probably wouldn't do this on something larger because of the larger forces on bigger helis that could cause unwanted slippage.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Servo saver mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonisms View Post
I may have to give this a shot.

Worst case if it didn't work is I'd need a servo gear set that includes a new horn anyways, so it's definitely worth a try if it can save the gears.

I'll have a look at the hardware store to see if they have some small rubber o-rings that will work.

Thanks for the idea.

Funny you mention the horn coming with the gear set. I ordered a pair of gear sets and the picture on rcdepothobbies.com showed the horn. However, the package I got had no horns. I'm not sure what that's about.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great stuff I just stripped a servo on my first flight after adding in the metal swash, this mod should do the trick

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
NerpGuyLTD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2014, 06:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeoravitz View Post
Funny you mention the horn coming with the gear set. I ordered a pair of gear sets and the picture on rcdepothobbies.com showed the horn. However, the package I got had no horns. I'm not sure what that's about.
I also received some servo gears with no screw or servo arms HSP15001T instead of these HSP15001 which shows a arm.
vronny is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2014, 09:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vronny View Post
I also received some servo gears with no screw or servo arms HSP15001T instead of these HSP15001 which shows a arm.
Hmmmm. Good to know. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
HF Support

Does anyone have some digital calipers to measure the outer diameter of the round portion of the servo horns that fit over the servo splines? I'm trying to figure out which o-rings will fit snugly around them, but I don't have the heli yet. (should come today). If I get it sorted out I'll post back which size o-rings worked the best.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
DPW
Registered Users

Quote:
Does anyone have some digital calipers to measure the outer diameter of the round portion of the servo horns that fit over the servo splines? I'm trying to figure out which o-rings will fit snugly around them, but I don't have the heli yet. (should come today). If I get it sorted out I'll post back which size o-rings worked the best.
PP Vernier Caliper set 80mm & 150mm $1.29
Measures down to 0.001 mm.
Just use plaster or a soft hot melt glue to get a profile of the location.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipweed View Post
PP Vernier Caliper set 80mm & 150mm $1.29
Measures down to 0.001 mm.
Just use plaster or a soft hot melt glue to get a profile of the location.
OK I see how my question could have been misinterpreted that way. I know how to use calipers and I already own a set. What I don't have is the heli.

I was hoping someone with a set of calipers and the heli handy could measure the diameter of the horns. You wouldn't need to make a mold or anything, just clamp the calipers around the outside servo horn and get a rough reading...it doesn't have to be too exact. If not I will do it when the heli arrives, I was just hoping to swing by and pick up some o-rings beforehand. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
We need a T-rex 150 dedicated section on HF. If we did, this should be stickied there, because it's saved me a TON of time and money.

Back when I first started flying, I was flying Walkera micros. They've been using rotary servos for a while, and I was constantly stripping servo gears. Once I found the servo saver mod, I never stripped another servo. I've since done the same mod on my 150 and as expected, have not stripped a servo since. Instead, the servo arm jumps, and you just have to put it back before you fly again.

Follow these instructions: http://benmlee.com/Genius_Servo_Saver.htm

Make sure you read every step. If the arm is too loose, put some kind of rubber ring around it to make it tight. Pic attached below of what I've done.

What plugs are you using for your servos? Did they fall apart and you put on new connectors? The wires are different colors then the stock plugs.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
OK I see how my question could have been misinterpreted that way. I know how to use calipers and I already own a set. What I don't have is the heli.

I was hoping someone with a set of calipers and the heli handy could measure the diameter of the horns. You wouldn't need to make a mold or anything, just clamp the calipers around the outside servo horn and get a rough reading...it doesn't have to be too exact. If not I will do it when the heli arrives, I was just hoping to swing by and pick up some o-rings beforehand. Thanks.
I've just measured the diameter of the servo horn collar on mine and it's appox 5.75mm
Old 02-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
HF Support

Cool, thank you MB. So I didn't find any that small at Home Depot (at least not online). The smallest I found was 6.35mm (1/4 inch). So I'll probably swing by the LHS tonight and see what they have. Worst case I'll get some fuel tubing and try that.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

O.K. Cool, Let us know how you get on!!

Cheers!
Old 02-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #18 (permalink)
DPW
Registered Users

Talking 5.1mm OD

Quote:
I was hoping someone with a set of calipers and the heli handy could measure the diameter of the horns. Thanks.
I got 5.1mm OD plastic is just not that dimensionaly stable. It maybe by design 5mm+ 0.5 mm?
Using plastic caliper 3 measures. Mic may give a better reading (don't have).
Old 02-14-2014, 12:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipweed View Post
I got 5.1mm OD plastic is just not that dimensionaly stable. It maybe by design 5mm+ 0.5 mm?
Using plastic caliper 3 measures.
Excellent. That's about what I was thinking. So we'll need to source some fairly pliable o-rings that have somewhere around 4mm inner diameter.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

NAPA 407004 have a 4.5mm ID.
Hydros27 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in