Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > 4#6

4#6 Walkera 4#6 Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2010, 10:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 4#6S problems help Im going broke!

Got a new 4#6s two weeks ago and have had nothing but problems. I am a newb and have only practiced trying to hover in a safe controlled area. The heli has had something break on almost every practice session.

I am on my 3rd swashplate it just keeps snapping and breaking the linkage rods and black plastic plate. what is causing this?

The hex head nut on the top rotor came with a allen wrench that stripped the moment I tried to loosen the nut? any ideas on how to fix this?

I have not even got this thing to hover even with the 3 axis gyro- Can anyone help with what settings I should have the 2402tx set on and and tips on setting up the 4#6 for getting it to hover in place.

thanks guy,
gurdzillar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2010, 12:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Welcome to the 4#6 club, my parts would wear out after 2 weeks. Dump it and get another brand. You will thank me later. My 4#6 was rebuilt 3 times in one month, and I didnt crash it.
Mikegigabyte is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2010, 01:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just have to put my nose in on this one.

What kind of crashes are you having? Maybe you should chop the throttle instead of trying to fly "to the end".
hiwattheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1 to Hiwattheli... It sounds like you may be being a bit too agressive with the heli. You NEED to cut the throttle the moment you realize you are going to crash.

You can try adding a bit of weight to the flybar paddles (a piece of solder wrapped around the flybar near the paddle works great).

You may have something else bent that is throwing off the balance and contributing to your loss of control. Does she spool up smoothly and have no vibrations when at mid to full throttle?

Take it slowly and give yourself plenty of room. These helis are very "squirley" and require very small stick movements. It is very easy to overcompensate your stick movements.

Once it "clicks" and you learn how to fly her (and how to cut the throttle in advance of an iminent crash), you will find her to actually be quite strong and should not see the kinds of damage you are currently experiencing.
Steve Joblin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I am having the heli break just trying to get it to hover , I have not got it up high enough to have a crash. I am using slow and precise stick control bringing the throttle up slowly, I have checked all the screws on the heli as well. When I begin to see some lift it just drifts away and I shut it down, 3 times now I have heard the linkage pins snap on the rotor head when slowly bring up the throttle. I am going to repair it once more and decide what to do,

I really like the look of the walkera but I just wanted to learn and have fun and this is losing its luster kinda fast. 169$ for 4#6s and 2402tx - spent 150$ on case and spare parts I thought would break - now another 35$ on 3 swash plates 15$ new rotor head and 18$ on 3rd set of linkage pins and my best flight was about 12 inchs off the carpet with training gear.

what settings should you set the 2402 on? should all 4 tabs be set at 50?
Old 05-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, my trims are all at 50%. However, if you've been breaking parts, you may need to re-trim all axis. You can do this by hopping the heli up a foot and let it back down pretty quick as it wanders its own way, countering whatever it tried to do, However, it will want to drift left on take off, even correctly trimmed, due to natural gyroscopics of the spinning head.

This should be overcome with a little right-stick as you lift off. However, the 3d gyro will try to hold that attitude, so you may have to throw a bit to the left once you're up.

I'm trying to understand the glich with parts breaking on lift off. If you hold the bird by the tail boom and just spin it up, do any linkages break?

I understand your frustration, too. I wanted my CB100 to slowly rise like my mSR, but instead bought a stream of repairs to get to that point.

When I lift my 4#6s off, I punch it pretty fast to 2 feet, to get above the ground effect of the rotors, and get a little time to make sure its level. Out in the wind I punch it up 4' right off the bat. If anything seems wrong, I bring it down quick instead of trying to "stick it through" as I would with my mSR.

I hope this helped. Please let the group know how things are going.

John
Old 05-16-2010, 10:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I just discovered that the little linkage rods are adjustable on the servos to the swashplate!
could these being a loose fit be the cause of my poor flying attemps and constant breakage. I was just putting on new links like they fit from the factory when I lost one or it broke .
Old 05-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

just a heads up, and i'm sure you know this but for the sake of others, if you break a single ball on the plastic plate, then just rotate it and use the other two balls.

If you get swash separation, then you may have a defective swash plate. I just bought a used one and the swash would separate in flight.

factory links have always worked for me straight out of the package
1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
AtTheCross is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is a possibility that this out of control characteristic is caused by a seperated swash, but I don't think 3 different swash plates would do that right off the bat. Have you had any helicopter before this? Maybe you should start off with a co-ax type helicopter.
I know in my short 4 months of experience I bought every helicopter used (MCX, MSR, CB100) and I thought there was something wrong with every one of them at first, but I have now learned that it was the operator (me) and that each helicopter has different flying characteristics. When I first got the CB100 I thought it was crazy out of control and found myself replacing parts constantly, but then I quickly learned it was me not knowing how to fly it. Now I have gone the last month flying everyday all over my house and outside on calm days and have not had one single crash or once felt like the helicopter was out of control, it was only out of control because I am not experienced. I'm not saying that is the case with you, I just for the life of me cant figure out how 3 swash plates have already broken. All of my helicopters have been through some terrible crashes and I have never broken a swash plate. Seperated one yes, but not broke one.

Let me ask this question. Have you held it in your hand and moved your sticks in all directions verifying that your servo's are working and also that your 3-axis gyro is doing it's job?

Hopefully we can help you out in some way and help in relieving some of the frustrations you are having.
jlcamp7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 12:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Okay,
Going back to start...your first lift with damage...please describe.

When you replaced linkages, why?

Did the swash "pop" ball knobs? Why do you think it happened?

All put together, do you have a tight connection, where the only free play is bobbing the flybar to affect the rotors?

After correction. can you hop the heli for 3-4 secs? If not, describe.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

BTW...send any photos possible
Old 05-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi guys,
Welcome to the interesting 4#6. This heli is designed for intermediate pilots (with bits of experience).
For those of you that considered yourself as beginners, what I suggest you to do is re-setup in these following steps:
1- Level all your linkages + washplate.
2- After levelled your washplate, shorten your aileron link by another 1 or 2 turns (taking care of the linkage ends as they can only be inserted to the balls from the big openning side)
3- On your rX, turn the pot that says "extent" to about 9o'clock position.
Your heli is now pretty close to self-stability state.
Have a fly test and using your trims to correct any unbalance
Hope this help and good luck
Naden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in