Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flybarless Helicopter Systems > AP and Scale

AP and Scale Discussions for Scale, Multi-blade and AP applications using CSM Cyclock, Helitronix Multi-mixer, Spartan AP2000i, Firmtronix, Digimix-3.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2007, 12:14 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks, Angelos. With the blades positioned as indicated I have no interaction. That's why I'm not so sure it isn't me imputing the interaction . Hopefully, weather and skilled pilot permitting, I will be able to get this all dialed in soon. As far as I'm concerned, it's ready to have the IR feature going. It's flying just fine for my skill level.

The other thing I noticed is the tail belt is loose. Maybe it was twitching while I was rolling and flipping and made it seem as if the phasing is off. Keep in mind that this modification is following a pretty ugly dumb thumb crash.

No matter what, I'm feeling good about this conversion. I have a spare head that I thought I might use to return to flybar flight. Why? I think if I drop the cyclic pitch back to 4 or 5 degrees that it will be more tame and better for my purposes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2007, 01:22 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

FedEx delivered the V-bar parts for my Logo 10 today and I installed them tonight. Wow, it sure looks nice not having a flybar!

Now I just need 2 more gyros and my AP2000i.

Hey Mark - do you still expect the units to ship by the end of the month? Any more updates from your testing?

Cheers!
http://www.hoverimaging.com
oscillator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2007, 05:42 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Mark

No more flights yet. I've got the IR sensor on and programmed. Now I'm just waiting for better weather. Unfortunately, it's not looking good around here. Arctic Clipper on it's way. If I can get a window with reasonable winds, I'll give it a shot. Considering that it's flying pretty much like before conversion, I don't really expect the IR to do anything but perform great.

Still waiting on the cables from Spartan. Should be getting to them any time now. I am still hoping well get everything out by the end of the month.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:11 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Finally got in a flight with the completed install. IR worked well despite horrible IR conditions. Heavy snow cover, heavy overcast and snow falling. 70% gain felt comparable to my normal 30%. My R50 behaved as it should. I just need more power to pull off the sick roll rate without bogging the head too much.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:15 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWebber
... I just need more power to pull off the sick roll rate without bogging the head too much.
One word: ELECTRIC! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

www.tppacks.com
GGoodrum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2007, 07:07 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Geez Gary..what's with you and this electric obcession :wink: Won't be much longer, I shoud think.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:47 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the update Mark. A few questions:

1. How are people handling the IR gain adjustment on radios that don't have a slider? I have switches out the wazoo on my DX7, but no proportional control on the extra channels.

2. Where did you end up for gain/delay on your roll and pitch gyros?

3. Are you still seeing roll/pitch interaction? If not, what adjustments did you make?

4. When do you expect the AP2000i's to ship? (you knew that one was coming ;-)

Cheers,
Mark
Old 02-02-2007, 02:22 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

1 So far, they're using a 3 position switch assigned 0, 30 and 60%, for instance. You'll need to try adjusting the gain settings to your likings. Even with a slider, I normally don't exceed 30% or so. That's just what works for me.

2 I'm not sure I'm satisfied with the gyro settings just yet. I'm at 10% gain and 35% delay. I need a really nice day or two to play with the settings to see if any improvement can be found. Still, it is flying rather well at those settings.

3 Being that I'm not the greatest pilot, I'm not convinced that it isn't me inducing the interaction. Two sets of eyes and a better pilot will tell the tale. Should I determine that there is an interaction, it should be a simple matter of adjusting the phasing in the AP2000i just a bit. Far easier than moving the swashplate driver accurately.

4 Yes, I knew it was coming and I understand completely. The cables made it to Angelos' hands and my order went out this week. Normally it takes 1 to 1 1/2 weeks to get to me.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:48 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Finally the weather was good enough to do some further tests on the gyro. Here is a short video. Best to right click and select the save option.

http://www.spartan-rc.com/pub/rr_posts/ds760_4Feb07.wmv

-Angelos

Angelos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2007, 01:13 AM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow, that held really well, even with that poor Raptor being on fire, and all...

www.tppacks.com
GGoodrum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2007, 11:16 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

My AP2000i showed up on Saturday! Went to the local hobby shop and picked up 2 GY240's. So far I've mounted everything on the heli, but still in the process of setting it up. Hopefully I'll get in a test flight this weekend.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:38 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Definately start lower on the gain and work up from there. I started too high and the oscillations were a bit unnerving. I think I was upwards of 25% and 0 delay. I've settled about 25% delay and 14% gain. Toward the end of the flight I start seeing some oscillations but I think that's just pilot input from the cold

Looking forward to your results.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:30 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Something I didn't realize at the time I - the GY240 doesn't have a delay control. Hope this doesn't become a problem.

I wired everything up last night and got it working on the bench. At about 25% gain I can barely see the gyros moving the swash. At about 50% the operation is obvious. Guess I'll start with the low gain and cheap blades and hope I can hover it.

According to Mikado the control arms on my servos should be 19mm - with the flybar. They don't say anything about control arm lengths without the flybar, but I have reduced this to 13.5mm to account for the mechanical reduction that was present with the flybar. However, I now only get +-7 deg pitch with full collective travel and 100% servo travel on both the TX and the AP2000i. Do you think +-7 deg of pitch is sufficient for AP applications or should I try to get 10 deg?
Old 02-14-2007, 08:47 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I guess that'll depend somewhat on your rigs weight too. Maybe give it a shot at the 7 degrees and adjust as necessary. It shouldn't hurt to loose a bit off the negative side if you need more positive.

From what I've experienced now, you can hover easily with low gain settings. It's in ff or windy conditions that the gyros will really be doing their thing to reduce pitchyness. Better to start low and work up than the other way round. Even when it was oscillation badly, I was still able to land safely. Then change my shorts ...j/k
Old 02-16-2007, 02:39 AM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

1st Hover!

Just spooled it up and hovered it for the 1st time a few min ago - in my garage! OK, so it was only an inch off the ground, and I had my workbench chair between me and the heli, and there are large bundles of wire hanging out everywhere, but hey, it got off the ground.

Hopefully I will get some time tomorrow afternoon to take it out and hover it for real. Once I'm happy with everything I'll start cleaning up wires and mount the IR sensor. Then it is the stretch, camera mount, down link, etc. Lots of work left.

But hey - it is looking promising!
Old 02-16-2007, 05:29 AM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

edit
MarkWebber is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2007, 05:29 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I had my workbench chair between me and the heli

I understand the feeling, Mark. I half expected mine to be an out of control monster during the first spool up. I used my Jeep

Worked good right?
Old 02-16-2007, 05:29 AM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

MarkWebber is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2007, 11:04 AM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Worked good right?
Once I got over the nervousness of having a 30 size heli with no flybar right in front of me and in a tight space, it seemed to work fine. I only had the skids an inch off the ground, and kept it there for maybe 5 seconds at a time.

My garage is my work shop - no cars - so there is stuff every where. I had at most 2 feet in any direction before a blade strike. Needless to say prop wash was creating all kinds of proximity effects. But once I calmed down it seemed to work just fine.

I'll take it outside today for some real hovering and play with the gains. Provided there are no major problems or mishaps I'll clean up the wiring a bit tonight and take it to the field tomorrow for some real flight testing.

I must say the AP2000i had been supper easy to set up thus far, and the carbon case matches my Carbon Logo 10 perfectly! Here is hoping for a rock solid hover.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:32 AM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I had at most 2 feet in any direction before a blade strike. Needless to say prop wash was creating all kinds of proximity effects
Mark, you sure take flight testing to the limits, huh?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in