Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Nitro Helicopters

600 Class Nitro Helicopters 600 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2015, 01:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Going through glow plugs - See picture

I seem to be going through glow plugs more this season. The last one (see picture) had about 6 tanks on it and the element was mangled and broken. I'd think that the mangled element would mean a lean condition or high compression but I'm running a bit rich with my head temp at 160 (telemetry mounted on the lowest fin of the head) and a healthy stream of smoke in flight. She's a ringed engine so I don't think that compression is the issue.

My setup is: 55HZ, OS #8 plug, Funtech B320 pipe, MOAS clunk, Vbar gov set at 1950 rpm running on Magnum Heli 30+ fuel. At the beginning of the season I had the Magnum Centerglide bushing installed and I also re-ringed the engine. She runs great and makes plenty of power but I can't keep a glow plug for more than a few tanks.

The picture isn't great but you can see the color looks right and the element has seen better days.

Any suggestions? Maybe a different plug?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Glow plug.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	593755  
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2015, 02:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Inspect the rear bearing. Might even order one, and simply replace it. You don't want to let it get to the point where it begins to score the liner. Mainly corrosion products are "tracked" through the engine and "trampled" in the races, causing spalling. Any such particles will foul the plug.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a rear bearing anymore. It's a Centerglide bushing and I replaced the front bearing at the same time.

I'm going to try a different plug and see if that works.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess I'd try an Enya #4. I have better luck running it where I live here in Michigan.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's what I was thinking. I bought some Enya 4's yesterday and I'll give them a try. I'll check back and let you know how they worked out. Thanks again.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well it's been a week and I'm still running the same Enya #4 so that's encouraging. I've been running OS #8's for years and never had problems until now. Thanks again for the help and I'll check back after a few gallons.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in