Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Foamies and Park Flyers

Foamies and Park Flyers 3D Foamies and Park Flyers are an EXCELLENT way to improve your reflexes and stick finesse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2015, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default UMX Whipit DLG RC Glider

Hey guys!

I just got the new UMX Whipit and did a review on it. I have included below the complete unboxing, review, and maiden flight video for my E-Flite UMX Whipit DLG. I show you what is in the box, discuss/review what I find in the box, and do a flight demonstration for you with the plane. I also have a special guest fly it too!

Not only is it one of the most unique RC Planes I have flown, it is also one of the more fun planes I have had an opportunity to fly.

Here are my Review Notes:

Cons:
- Bubbles under stickers
- Rudder was out of trim
- Wing screws are tiny and fragile

Pros:
- So much fun!!!
- Not very expensive
- It has a pretty nice glide slope!

Maiden Flight Only:

Last edited by GBLynden; 05-16-2015 at 02:59 AM..
GBLynden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2015, 10:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

This is the second batch of flights with a special guest that showed up after John and I started getting the hang of it. We went out and did some more today and I even tried some launches that matched its name with pretty good success!

Of course those aren't shown in this video but will be showing up soon!

Old 05-19-2015, 05:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just ordered 2 of these 620mm DLGs.

Be very careful with these! Addiction warning!!! You will likely want to upgrade eventually. After first seeing a full size DLG launch to 140 feet from a hand toss 1.5 years ago (discus launch actually) I knew I wanted to try it. I have been addicted to them ever since. I had only flown RC helis from 1992 to 2013 (no fixed wing aircraft). I honestly didn't think I would get into it and thought it would be a fad like most things I get into and get bored with it. Once of the things that help with this is I can fly it just about anywhere with a small field area (or my back yard ) without disturbing people with noise. I get people asking me quite often where is the motor is when I land after a 20 or 30 minute flight with my 1.5 or 1m DLG. They are just amazed when I tell them there is no motor. The heated air from thermals is the motor.

I started with a used TopSky Mini-DLG (1m) around 1.5 years ago and I haven't flown my helis since then except once to try and help get my DLG off a roof . I spent 2 full days out at the field discus launching the DLG in an empty field from the morning until night time came. I had a 500 and 2 550 helis at that time and sold them all except I kept one 550 just in case I get the itch again. I am so addicted to DLG now.

It is kind of odd because with RC helis you beat the air into submission to make your heli go where you want. With DLG it is just the opposite. You are dependent of what the air is doing to get lift.

I upgraded to a 1.5m DLG within a month of getting my 1m DLG and started competitions with it within another month. Fun stuff!

I have had more fun in this past year and a half with DLG than I have ever had with RC helis. I find it interesting that a lot of strictly RC Heli pilots seem to come to DLG for some reason as I talk to others that fly DLG now.

I like that batteries cost $4 instead of $100 and I can spend 2 hours on that 1 battery discus launching it.

This info is from my 1.5m DLG but it gives you an idea of the heights and duration you can get when you eventually get a 1.5m . Keep in mind competitions are not about height really but about specific durations, being able to scout for lift to return to it, being able to relaunch quickly, and being able to determine where the thermals are, and to stay with the thermals, etc.

My longest flight without landing when I catch good thermals has been 75 minutes (see attached altimeter log). I am still amazed you can get such long flights without a motor on a 1.5m DLG.

My highest flight has been 2414 feet.
My new RC DLG sailplane height record is 2414 feet (35 min 13 sec)

I can't wait to get the Whipit to see how often I can catch lower thermals and take it skyward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Binary_IV-2015-05-14-75_min_flight_with_vertical_speed.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	586695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Binary_IV-2015-05-15-2414_feet_altimeter.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	586696  
StatiC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2015, 09:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

WOW!!!! That is extremely impressive!

John from the video bought a bigger DLG after he had so much fun with the Whipit. It is so addicting I can't even believe it lol

I did crash it recently after I got distracted on a launch after a great day flying it otherwise. It is repairable and just need a light CA and it will be good as new.

I do have footage I will post in the next week or so of me and my first discus launch(s) with is caught on video too!

GB
Old 06-02-2015, 08:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I attempt my first discus launches near the end of the video, and yes this is pre-crash. I have it all glued back together, but haven't had time to see how it flys now.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

After hearing about these a few weeks ago, I'm thinking I'd enjoy them. Not sure if I'd be happy with the Whipit because the larger ones just look so much better, but it looks like a good starter DLG. If they had a slightly larger version that was RTF/BNF, I'd be more interested. Right now it seems like it's either this, or competition level DLG's that are either expensive or require building from kits and supplying your own electronics. There doesn't seem to be an in between option.

I think the reason heli guys may gravitate to gliders could be to find a balance. I love the challenge of trying to fly CP, but a glider looks like it doesn't take near the concentration by comparison. You just throw it up there and relax. Oddly enough, DLG's are the only planks that interest me. I don't even care for other types of gliders, and I think it's because of the launch style of a DLG.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is just all about fun and relaxing. I imagine the other ones are a little more about athletic prowess than the Whipit.

My buddy enjoyed mine and bought a Libelle or something like that. That is a nice DLG glider and not a lot of money. You do have to build it and supply the electronics, but it might be a middle ground DLG for you to consider. It even has flaps! lol

GB
Old 06-10-2015, 08:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
HF Support

I had a chance to fly one of these recently. It's fun for a few minutes, but I don't think I'll be getting one. I feel pretty much the same way about it as I do the UMX Radian. That is, a sailplane without ailerons and flaps/flaperons is pretty boring. I still wish they'd come out with a little 2S micro Radian Pro. I'd buy that in a heartbeat. But I'll be sticking to my Blaster 3.5 for DLG.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2015, 09:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

A 2S Radian Pro would be awesome! Maybe that will come after the FPV UMX Radian.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
My buddy enjoyed mine and bought a Libelle or something like that. That is a nice DLG glider and not a lot of money. You do have to build it and supply the electronics, but it might be a middle ground DLG for you to consider. It even has flaps! lol
I've heard good things about the Libelle and it's nice they also sell the parts, sans receiver it seems. If I take that plunge, I'll be doing more research, and also means getting a battery charger that can do NiCad (I need a better lipo charger anyway), or find a lipo pack I can use in on someth like the Libelle.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
I've heard good things about the Libelle and it's nice they also sell the parts, sans receiver it seems. If I take that plunge, I'll be doing more research, and also means getting a battery charger that can do NiCad (I need a better lipo charger anyway), or find a lipo pack I can use in on someth like the Libelle.
These are the batteries I use on my Blaster DLG.

SmartLipo from Shread-RC

They're pretty awesome since they have an integrated charger, booster and on/off switch. Meaning you don't have to charge it on a normal lipo balance charger, you just supply it direct DC voltage. I use an old 1300mAh 3S pack to charge mine.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2015, 05:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Definitely addictive.. At the opposite end of every flight from helis.. And just as incompatible with regular plank flying started last April with a topsky 3 and quickly got a snipe. I can't fly helis at work at lunch, but can fly my dlg. There is something cool about flinging something from your hand.. Catching a thermal, and specking out... or getting a 20 minute flight by hopping from thermal to thermal as they roll through
--citizen 19-- ama#986265, W8RMB, T-Rex 700n 700e, 600n, 550X, 550e, 500 efl pro, 450 pro.. a couple of planks and a couple of quads...I am not a rep for anyone
cyclenut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2015, 03:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is like crack lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in