Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X Brushless Mods

mCP X Brushless Mods Blade Micro CPx Brushless Mods and Conversions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Losing headspeed above midstick? New BL setup

I took the plunge into BL last night, and have run into my first snag. I can't find the answer yet...but I'm sure this is just like when I started MCPXing in general and the answer is a total noob question that is all over the forums...I just haven't seen it yet.

Anyways, new BL install. XP7A flashed with BL Heli (thanks Mega) and a Black Dragon (Thanks Dylan) on a MH frame with dual tail. V2 board with signal coming from the left side of the right most resistor under the right servo plug.

Right now I'm playing with a flat throttle curve (varying values between 70 and 90 to try and get it to work) and a linear pitch curve.

After I get the ESC armed, the helicopter starts to spool up. If I leave the pitch negative the head never reaches full speed and sputters out. If I let the heli spin up near mid stick, I think it reaches close to full headspeed. However, once I give it any positive pitch at all it starts to bog. I even adjusted my pitch travel to 55% and its still bogging.

Some other things
- When I first loaded up the ESC, I may have messed up some settings, not knowing how to properly initiatialize the unit with the TH off/on/off method. Are there any settings that would cause an issue like this?

- The motor seems to get a bit hot during the bogging. Is this normal? I'm running shortened screws from Dylan, so I'm pretty sure its not hitting the windings. The head spins fairly smoothly, and the assembly is freshly lubed.

- Batts are fully charged 300mah MiniAviations that run my brushed setup strong.

I'm going to keep combing the internet for solutions, but any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have no experience with the xp7a, but with my xp12, I ;
1) turn radio on
2) flip into stunt
3) flip TH on
4) plug in mcp
5) wait for solid light
6) flip TH off and wait for 5 to 7 seconds (not sure if board still uses soft start so I wait long enough for it to send full speed throttle signal)
7) flip TH back on, then fly

I have noticed that giving the heli a few seconds with TH off helps make sure that the gov. is set properly

That said, an hpo5 on a stock connector and a 300mah pack may be pushing it.
ChrisG23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 05:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killgore Trout View Post
I took the plunge into BL last night, and have run into my first snag. I can't find the answer yet...but I'm sure this is just like when I started MCPXing in general and the answer is a total noob question that is all over the forums...I just haven't seen it yet.

Anyways, new BL install. XP7A flashed with BL Heli (thanks Mega) and a Black Dragon (Thanks Dylan) on a MH frame with dual tail. V2 board with signal coming from the left side of the right most resistor under the right servo plug.

Right now I'm playing with a flat throttle curve (varying values between 70 and 90 to try and get it to work) and a linear pitch curve.

After I get the ESC armed, the helicopter starts to spool up. If I leave the pitch negative the head never reaches full speed and sputters out. If I let the heli spin up near mid stick, I think it reaches close to full headspeed. However, once I give it any positive pitch at all it starts to bog. I even adjusted my pitch travel to 55% and its still bogging.

Some other things
- When I first loaded up the ESC, I may have messed up some settings, not knowing how to properly initiatialize the unit with the TH off/on/off method. Are there any settings that would cause an issue like this?

- The motor seems to get a bit hot during the bogging. Is this normal? I'm running shortened screws from Dylan, so I'm pretty sure its not hitting the windings. The head spins fairly smoothly, and the assembly is freshly lubed.

- Batts are fully charged 300mah MiniAviations that run my brushed setup strong.

I'm going to keep combing the internet for solutions, but any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.
If you were using th batteries at the brushed setup,better replace them. I had some TPs and nanotechs that were going strong before but now on BL you can see that after 1 minute in-flight, when I punch the collective, it loses more than half the headspeed.On the brand new Hyperion 250s, they hold their punch for 2 minutes, then the last 30 seconds it needs some collective management, but it doesnt lose much headspeed and has good recovery of the lost headspeed. I will next go to 550s and have all thepower I can get.
Blade 450X
Heli.Maniac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!

Turns out it was a bad gear meshing caused by a crack in my lower CF frame piece on my MH frame that was keeping the heli from reaching full headspeed. I got that all straightened out and now I'm flying great. OMG, this thing is a beast compared to stock. 90% pitch w/ no problem...No need for collective management whatsoever...No tail blow outs with the double tail! I'm really happy. I can actually gain altitude while flipping now! I can't imagine what an even bigger motor like an HP05 would be like.

I'm glad I stuck with stock brushed for so long so I could pick up some proper collective management skills. I don't think I would have learned nearly as much banging the sticks around on this BL setup. But now that I can bang my sticks around...let the fun begin!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in