Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mSR X

mSR X Blade Micro SRX Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Oiling motors...

What do you use and where do you put the oil at to oil your main and tail motors?
nateg417 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use silicone spray. I'd like to get a little syringe like applicator but for now I spray it in the trash can then use the drip at the end of the straw to apply lube to the shaft of the main and the holes on the top and bottom of the main. I also usually put a little on the shaft of the tail motor.

PM me for your soldering and mSR X BL build needs.
burnoutboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use this:

Its meant specific for electric motors and has served me well so far, i dont know if it's the best but i cant complain.

Edwii is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use the clear oil that I got with electric clippers. drop in the holes at the top and bottom of the motor and between the gear and servo on both servos.
DX6i
kfrisbee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

SAE 20 is way thick. That's why it says 1/4 HP or more. You're motors aren't making 1/100 monkey power let alone 1/4 horse power.

Silicone
Paper Shredder Oil / Wahl or similar Clipper Oil
TriFlow
RemOil

All are suitable.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnoutboy View Post
SAE 20 is way thick. That's why it says 1/4 HP or more. You're motors aren't making 1/100 monkey power let alone 1/4 horse power.
All are suitable.
and i quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Bugeye View Post
You would be surprised, how much friction is still there even with oil. This3n1 motor oil is made to stay on what it is aplied too. Anything else is a joke really. It will fly off as soon as the motor is powered up.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got this from Radio shack and have been using it for a couple of months now. It seems to work really well. It's non- conductive and non- abrasive & non- corrosive !
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102643

And burnoutboy, have you looked at these. - http://www.amazon.com/Lubrication-Se.../dp/B000DZFYYE
I have them and they work great !
Old 03-17-2012, 04:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 on the radio shack lube
Old 03-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

i have a prcision oiler that i got from my lhs for $6. it has a light amber coloured oil and it works great.

ive never oiled the driv shaft though, or the tail motor. just a drop in each hole on the main motor, and a drop on the swash bearing.
crashycanuck is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I put a drop on all the bearings, the 2 main and swash and then spin them to spread it around and then clean up any excess. Then put a drop in each hole of the main motor and the shaft on both.
It really seems to quiet the bird down and it seems smoother. No vibrations.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwii
and i quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Bugeye
You would be surprised, how much friction is still there even with oil. This3n1 motor oil is made to stay on what it is aplied too. Anything else is a joke really. It will fly off as soon as the motor is powered up.
And I quote the people who actually make the oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-in-1
SPECIAL BLEND FOR 1/4 HP MOTORS OR LARGER
ref: http://www.3inone.com/products/motor-oil/

But what do they know? They only make the stuff.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use the 3-in-1 Electric motor oil too and it seems to work just fine. The trick is using just the right amount (not to much). I use a very small syringe to place a drop of oil into each hole near the pinion gear. This seems to work really well and has significantly extended my motor life.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default 3n1 electric motor oil

Where are you finding the electric motor oil for sale. Which stores are carrying it?
CAMOMAN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default air tool oil?

I have considered using air tool oil. Has any one tried it? It's lightweight, and the vanes in pnematic tools are fiber or plastic composite, so it shouldn't deteriorate anything in the motor. Just a drop of it should do in the motor. Ideas?
rjc57 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMOMAN View Post
Where are you finding the electric motor oil for sale. Which stores are carrying it?
I got mine at a Canadian chain hardware store called Rona, I dont know what the american equivilent is, maybe home depot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc57 View Post
I have considered using air tool oil. Has any one tried it? It's lightweight, and the vanes in pnematic tools are fiber or plastic composite, so it shouldn't deteriorate anything in the motor. Just a drop of it should do in the motor. Ideas?
I wouldn't recommend it, my 3in1 works great, but it probably is a lil thicker then needed, air tool oil from my experience is even thicker then that, air tools, for the most part are designed to spin slower per size and are normally under higher levels of torque, where are lil electronics are a faster freer spinning motor. I dont know if that is how it really is, but it makes sense to me. the 3in1 works even tho a lil thick because like all oils thins out under heat and since we only use a tiny bit it helps even out.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Never thought of air tool oil.

I'm using a light utility oil that's probably 30 years old. Work great
Old 03-19-2012, 02:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lost my first motor tonight !
I didn't have a backup so I got my extra MSR motor and thought what the he_ _. I installed it and spun her up and she took off forward and dead left and crashed....LOL !
I picked her up and re-adjusted the MMM mod and she fly's pretty dang good. I was afraid it might not have enough power to take off but it flew good and I couldn't tell much difference. but of course that's inside, outside it might be different fighting the wind. but i think i am going to order 1 MSRX motor and 1 MSR motor. Maybe the MSR motor might just what I need to learn on this bad boy. the once i am better at flying i can get back to the MSRX motor.......unless of course i like it that way.
They cost about the same, but if there's not much difference in power ( I know there probably is a little ) but the motor last longer ( which it may have to work harder so it may not last longer ) then it may be worth a try.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRHS View Post
Lost my first motor tonight !
I didn't have a backup so I got my extra MSR motor and thought what the he_ _. I installed it and spun her up and she took off forward and dead left and crashed....LOL !
I picked her up and re-adjusted the MMM mod and she fly's pretty dang good. I was afraid it might not have enough power to take off but it flew good and I couldn't tell much difference. but of course that's inside, outside it might be different fighting the wind. but i think i am going to order 1 MSRX motor and 1 MSR motor. Maybe the MSR motor might just what I need to learn on this bad boy. the once i am better at flying i can get back to the MSRX motor.......unless of course i like it that way.
They cost about the same, but if there's not much difference in power ( I know there probably is a little ) but the motor last longer ( which it may have to work harder so it may not last longer ) then it may be worth a try.
sorry to hear about your first motor, For your next one you might wanna consider adding a heatsink too(if i havent already suggested it) https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=377528

Also I am pretty sure that the msr and msrx motors are the same, which is also the same as the 120 sr tail motor... tho i might be mixing that up and the 120sr tail and the msr motors are the same and the msrx is different.

I don think it will last longer ether maybe even shorter, trying to do the work of a larger motor causing it to work harder. I could be wrong tho.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I appreciate that but I already did the heat sink. The MSRX I bought off of itsmillertime0 came with 3 of the heat sinks and compound. I put them on the next day after I got it from him. I bought a couple more heat sinks off another guy and put them on my new MSRX.
It will have them on from the start so we will see how it does.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default air tool viscosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwii View Post
I got mine at a Canadian chain hardware store called Rona, I dont know what the american equivilent is, maybe home depot?

I wouldn't recommend it, my 3in1 works great, but it probably is a lil thicker then needed, air tool oil from my experience is even thicker then that, air tools, for the most part are designed to spin slower per size and are normally under higher levels of torque, where are lil electronics are a faster freer spinning motor. I dont know if that is how it really is, but it makes sense to me. the 3in1 works even tho a lil thick because like all oils thins out under heat and since we only use a tiny bit it helps even out.
Not trying to dispute, but Iooked up the weight of air tool oil, the atlas 28 we use at work. It's 10w, half the 3n1 electric motor lube, with SSU @12, less than half the 3n1
lube. Some of our precision pencils grinders run at 40,000 rpms, and the oil works, it has extended the life of these grinders. I, however, picked up the precision lube from Radio Shack, tried it in my mrsx, and now it runs quieter, smoother. Like stated, it's not what so much as how much. Just a tiny drop is all that's needed. HH I believed left this out of the manual to sell more motors, hehe. Thanks.
rjc57 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in