Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Nitro Helicopters

600 Class Nitro Helicopters 600 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 02:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Upgrade to metal

The thing is that I have a T-rex 600N Pro, it's a KX0160NPA http://www.alignrcusa.com/index.php?...&products_id=8

which has some plastic parts as you see from the link above so I'm planing to upgrade to for instance metal tail, DFC head in on it's way, also what to ditch the plastic antirotation bracket and use an elevator A arm, maybe metal main shaft holder block etc. I really appriciate any ideas, inputs and thing that you've done to you "plastic" heli :-)

Thanks
mgorgis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 06:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorgis View Post
The thing is that I have a T-rex 600N Pro, it's a KX0160NPA http://www.alignrcusa.com/index.php?...&products_id=8

which has some plastic parts as you see from the link above so I'm planing to upgrade to for instance metal tail, DFC head in on it's way, also what to ditch the plastic antirotation bracket and use an elevator A arm, maybe metal main shaft holder block etc. I really appriciate any ideas, inputs and thing that you've done to you "plastic" heli :-)
The DFC head requires a different main shaft than is on the 600n. The head can be made to work on the 600n, but was designed for the 600e Pro and 550e. To make it work you have to cut about 10mm from the stock 600n mainshaft and redrill the hole for the jesus bolt.

Consider the weight of metal vs plastic. If it adds weight but does not enhance performance why change it other than the bling factor?

In some areas, like the AR bracket, I prefer plastic. In a crash it is more likely to give way and save damage to the frame. Metal will tend to transfer the energy to the frame.

I'm not against metal, but CF and plastic have applications where they are better suited then metal parts.
gehrbox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 07:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrbox View Post
The DFC head requires a different main shaft than is on the 600n. The head can be made to work on the 600n, but was designed for the 600e Pro and 550e. To make it work you have to cut about 10mm from the stock 600n mainshaft and redrill the hole for the jesus bolt.

Consider the weight of metal vs plastic. If it adds weight but does not enhance performance why change it other than the bling factor?

In some areas, like the AR bracket, I prefer plastic. In a crash it is more likely to give way and save damage to the frame. Metal will tend to transfer the energy to the frame.

I'm not against metal, but CF and plastic have applications where they are better suited then metal parts.
The DFC kit comes allready with a main shaft. It's more bling factor than function, except the tail blade holders. I don't think these small upgrades would increase the weight that much, only a fraction IMO
Old 05-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Best bang for the buck on upgrading the plastic on a 600 is metal main shaft blocks and metal clutch block. The I2 main blocks are incredible, 2x oversize bearings that have a much longer life than the 6800zz bearings and even hold up to light crashes. These are two areas that plastic was just not up to the task. While upgrading the tail is nice, the plastic seems to hold up OK. They are also 1/5 the cost if you do need to replace one. For most fliers the DFC is bling and will not hold up as well in a crash.
fastflyer20 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorgis View Post
The DFC kit comes allready with a main shaft. It's more bling factor than function, except the tail blade holders. I don't think these small upgrades would increase the weight that much, only a fraction IMO
The main shaft that comes with the dfc is for the 550e/600e. Those birds have shorter shafts and only 2 main bearings. The 600n has 3 main bearings. I have both a 550e with dfc and a 600n. The dfc shaft will not work on a 600n. You need to modify the 600n shaft as previously stated.
gehrbox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrbox View Post
The main shaft that comes with the dfc is for the 550e/600e. Those birds have shorter shafts and only 2 main bearings. The 600n has 3 main bearings. I have both a 550e with dfc and a 600n. The dfc shaft will not work on a 600n. You need to modify the 600n shaft as previously stated.
Da*n the DFC is on it's way to me and I can't use it
Old 05-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

theres a 600 ESP DFC mainshaft that will work. It should work with the Nitro bearing blocks.

http://www.alignrcusa.com/index.php?...oducts_id=2421
Old 05-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by towertsk View Post
theres a 600 ESP DFC mainshaft that will work. It should work with the Nitro bearing blocks.

http://www.alignrcusa.com/index.php?...oducts_id=2421
Works really? it looks like the DFC main shaft included in the DFC kit but it's 9.4mm longer. What's the difference anyway? is it the placement of the collar?
Old 05-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am in the process of building a 600n at the moment have fitted rc tek bearing blocks rctek boom holder as well as kd direct tail control upgrade the increase in weight which is minimal is more than offset by the longer life of these parts as for the dfc head i have considered it but will weight till they realese one specificaly for the 600n at moment am going to fit the limited edition head
rob221 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would consider a head such as the RJX that you can use the standard main shaft.
X-cell Fury 90: 601/9251, 8231's Cyc; DS650; OS 91MP-6; Jr Vibe 90; OS 91RJX Pipe; Jr 8231 cyclic, 770 3D/G8900, Prfct Reg. CCPM; T-Rex 600 NP: 6965HB, 425MG Throttle GY 520/9254; OS50 Hyper,MP-5, Prfct Reg; 600E Bstx, nue1910
seanh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just finished mounting the 600DFC head on my 600N had to cut stock main shaft and drill a new hole. Will also swap the antirotation bracket for the A shaped link in the coming week. Looks awsome! need to go through setup etc etc before test flight
Old 05-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

is it possible the head could have been drilled out to fit the older shaft? Seems like that's a pain...any time you need a shaft you need to modify one?
X-cell Fury 90: 601/9251, 8231's Cyc; DS650; OS 91MP-6; Jr Vibe 90; OS 91RJX Pipe; Jr 8231 cyclic, 770 3D/G8900, Prfct Reg. CCPM; T-Rex 600 NP: 6965HB, 425MG Throttle GY 520/9254; OS50 Hyper,MP-5, Prfct Reg; 600E Bstx, nue1910
seanh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanh View Post
..any time you need a shaft you need to modify one?
That's right! hopefully you don't crash alot and hopefully there will be a main shaft for the nitro available soon and luckily it's neither hard or take long time to mod the main shaft. Just make a couple of them while you're doing it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in