Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > Quest and Kyosho

Quest and Kyosho Kyosho Caliber, Kyosho Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2009, 05:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Kyosho Nexus 30

Hi,

does anyone have one running good?

I have one and i took it out last night, first time in ages.

The heli was so slow to respond, im running JR XP662 radio with JR NES-591 servos. Are they any good?

I would welcome anyones ideas on how to make it perform better. My little Trex 450 is 10 times as quick as this.

thanks

Ian
itobin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2009, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just sold mine to someone to harvest the parts off of it. It was about 11 yrs old and I couldn't keep the blades tracked anymore.

T-Rex 470LP...
TCipolla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2009, 04:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

where did you place your gyro on that?
Old 08-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Gyro was mounted above the fuel tank. I had an old Hobbico Piezio gyro. It was slightly worn out too.

T-Rex 470LP...
Old 08-28-2009, 10:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

I just bought a Nexus 30 from an individual. It appears that the engine has never been run up or flown. The person I got it from said he had never flown it. I am the 3 owner and I intend to fly it. I expect be th first to crash it.

I would appreciate any tips you could give me. Any do's or do nots to keep it in one piece would be appreciated.

Thanks
goldwing is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwing View Post
I just bought a Nexus 30 from an individual. It appears that the engine has never been run up or flown. The person I got it from said he had never flown it. I am the 3 owner and I intend to fly it. I expect be th first to crash it.

I would appreciate any tips you could give me. Any do's or do nots to keep it in one piece would be appreciated.

Thanks
Do you have heli experience? I recommend training gear if you don't. That will help you. Keep the headspeed up as it will be more stable (Tower Hobbies has 535mm carbon blades from Helimax, you may try those too). I had mine for 11 years before I sold it last week to a guy for parts (that's the main issue with this bird is parts availability). It's a good heli, no real bad tendencies. Very stable in forward flight IMO. I flew mine with a rate gyro, no heading hold. It will do loops and stall turns, but I wouldn't try rolls or flips though. Also, with that starter cone, try to find a green rubber starter insert instead of the white. The white will get shredded and end up all over the helicopter. Maybe get a remote glow plug wire and mount it to the landing gear strut too. Starting the engine when it's new is kind of a pain with the starter cone system. When it was cold, I would put a little bit of lighter fluid in the fuel line to help it start.

Any questions I'll try to help you out.

T-Rex 470LP...
Old 11-14-2009, 12:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

First thing to remember is that the Nexus while a good heli for the day is definently an antiquated design. The modifications that I had on mine were all metal swash plate, metal mixing arms, dubro turnbuckles, cut down arrow shaft to drive the tail versus the drive wire. The key to making any heli respond faster within its design is to spin a higher head speed and make the heli ridgid in critical areas that will turn servo movement into heli movement i.e. carbon blades, metal blade grips, metal head block, stiff dampners, and so on. The other areas to cover will be faster servos and lighter fly paddles or fly paddles that have different airfoils that can grab the air more efficiently. Just remember that not all of these mods have to be done to simply make the heli a little faster only if you are looking to try and make the Nexus as much of a hard core ragged edge 3d machine as you can. Keep in mind that although a good machine no matter what you do to the Nexus it is still limited by design and will not be able to keep pace with todays machines.
3dheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 08:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Got one

I have the Nexus .30 And fly it everyday. No it's no trex, but it is alot of fun. My heli came to me as a third owner and never flown. Think I'm the one who finally broke in the motor.
I don't know my head speed, but I did have stablity problem before I worked out my throddle curves. I also removed the 4.8v battery pack and installed a 7.4v 2s LI-PO.Those old servos are like lightening now.

I do have some extra parts Engine,Head,Frame,Gears,landing gear, And more. FREE to a good home. You pay shipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Back yard photos by Savana Lee with nexus 037.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	127003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air field 016.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	127004  
Jazz 40-6-18 , JGF 450th
Mavrikk G5 WIDE cord
ziggymonster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2009, 02:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

oops. never mind. I did a search and found the answer to my question
DV8legomaniac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

I'll take those parts!
Hayablusa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 05:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

what engine have you got?

Web hosting www.tidyhosts.com
Old 01-27-2010, 12:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

I recently bought a nexus 30 with original motor in it. I have all new spectrum electronics and running dx7. I bought it to mess around and practice but got it tuned to where im doing inverted hovers. Never thought a nexus was capable of inversions. Love the copter and def pushing the limits of it. Plus i put a raptor 30 canopy on it which looks awesome ( looks like the real thing)
Jaywpee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 05:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey there,
My brother has a crashed kit plus a brand new partially assembled kit with an OS motor and a new piston sleeve kit. If your interested I'll get prices off him.

Scott

Sorry replied in wrong thread

Last edited by GimpyGolden; 01-31-2010 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: Wrong thread
GimpyGolden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

do you still have some extra parts for the nexus?
rcmotor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The Raptor 30 V1 start coupler will go right on there. Of course that cone is meant to allow some slippage so if you do this you HAVE to have a one way bearing start shaft.

It solves the shearing pin issue (unless you hit it while its flooded)
http://www.jaxrc.com
BarracudaHockey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 05:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just wanted to add my input here.

I am now the owner of 3 Nexus .30's 1 fly's one was bought far spares, and the other.... well.... that's still in it's original box

The main one flys most weekends, although I'm having engine tuning trouble (MDS .38) I will eventually get there with it, definitely had some fun flights with it, and even when I buy something else, The nexus is going to stay. Honestly enjoy flying it.

Jason
Jasey_Wasey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 05:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Still have 1 1/2 new kits if any one is interested!
GimpyGolden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2010, 07:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default i have one too!

i have an old nexus, 11yrs old, still has electro mechanical gyro, the original os .32 and flys great! fly it all the time. got a couple teeth off the main gear but still flies good after all these years!
heliopilot1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 1 1/2 kits

do you still have those 1 1/2 kits? i am interrested. thanks!
heliopilot1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2010, 01:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi Chaps,

I'm just restoring my old nexus after joining a flying club.
Is there anything I need to pay particular attention to?
The heli has never been crashed but has been sitting in the attic for a good 8-10 years
I removed the MDS 38 engine last night and it turned over nice and loose so I think that will be ok, the Servos are all really old, but I don't really want to spend any more moeny than I have to so I was thinking about just buying a new reciever (2.4Ghz) new blades and sticking a cheapo HK GY401 copy gyro on it.

I'll need some sort of RX battery pack but I could use the honeybee flight batteries I have (1000Mah 2S Lipo)
The rest just needs a good clean up and oil etc..

Any other ideas?

Cheers
Steve
stevec is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in