Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion

Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers and Other Electronics Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Motor not spooling up consistantly

Have a CopterX CX250SE that I just built up with Na Orange 6ch RX and stock ESC and motor. On the bench it all seemed fine. I mounted it all and tidied up the cabling. Spooled it up and it was normal. Cut the throttle back to 0% and got a slow rotation of the main rotor. Used throttle hold and it stops as expected. Disable TH and try to spool up...nothing. Enable TH and disable, it works again.

I have the ESC mounted below the bottom plate and the gyro to the rear on the top side of the bottom plate (gyro not connected at this time). I have the RX on the lower back, left side. Motor cables run up the center and out the right side to the rear of the right side landing gear to connect to the ESC. Is this an interference issue? Not a ton of options on a 250 for mounting locations that I can find.

This is my first kit build so I am open to advice. Thanks

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You may need to re-calibrate your throttle endpoints if you have not already done so.
Even with T/H disengaged you should not get any motor power at bottom stick (0%), which suggests that the throttle output value at bottom stick is not actually 0%.

You didn't mention which Tx and ESC you are using, or whether you are enabling a governor.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Bone headed move on my part...guess I was a little tired last night. Battery was low. I threw in my second battery today and it worked normally. I threw my original batter on the charger and it was low. Guess I didn't realize how much playing around I did with it.

The TX is a DX6i and the EXC is a no name one that came with the kit.

It is working as expected now.
CopterGuy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well...it isn't the battery

I built a test stand and was going to setup my gyro today and I ran into the same issue. Power everything on and it works fine. (well...I have a terrible wobble but think that is from my blades not being weighted the same - have a small scale on order.) I throttle down and try to throttle up again - nothing. The pitch changes following the pitch curve so I know the heli is receiving input but no motor. I toggle the TH and it spools back up. Tried a couple different batter packs.

I am open to suggestions. I am going to pull the main blades until I get the scale. I also have a AR6100e RX on the way so I may swap out the Orange RX just in case that is the issue.
CopterGuy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 06:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Got fed up last night and ripped it apart...and it worked fine. Put it all back together...happened again. I found the RX was too close to either the ESC or the antenna to the motor. I moved the RX to the gyro shelf and it worked fine. The gyro is on the bottom tray. Not a lot of room on a 250 to move stuff around. Should have started with a 450

Old 07-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Problem is back I noticed I will see the RX light flashing. Also tried rebinding wheni had all the servos and gyro plugged into the RX and it won't bind. I have to remove some servos. Not sure what is going on. Have and OrangeRX and a Spektrum AR6100e and the same thing with both. I moved the RX off the copter all together in case iit was still interference.

Anyone else seen anything like this?? I am getting frustrated as heck. Other than this, it is ready to take otside and try it.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Perhaps a visit to your LHS or local flying club would be in order?
Old 07-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Lhs is about 40 miles away. Local club isn't far.

I do think it is the ESC. I unplugged everything from the RX except the ESC and the motor would still spin up to about 5% at 0 throttle. That is with two different RX so that doesn't. Leave much else it could be. The ESC is a no name one that came with the CopterX. It is a 30A which is probably much bigger than I need for a 250.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check throttle end points, set them to 100-100. Then check to make sure your throttle hold is set to 0%. What throttle curves are you using? Are you using governor or no?

Sent from my LG-MS690 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not sure how to check my throttle end points on a DX6i. Would that be different from one model to the next? It works great with my mCPx.

Thottle hold works perfectly. No motion with that. It is when I take TH off it spins up a little.

TC is 0, 45, 70, 80, 85

Don't believe this ESC has a gov.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

When you are on that certain model. You have to press down the scroll wheel. Go to servo setup, and go to travel adjust. Then scroll to throttle, and it should give you a % value. Let me know what it says.

Sent from my LG-MS690 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

In Travel Adj, the throttle is set to 100%.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Could this have anything to do with chaging out my cyclic servos to digital ones? It still doesn't explain why it happens when I unplug everything from the RX except for the ESC.

If I do order up a new ESC, am I better off getting a separate BEC?

Old 07-13-2012, 07:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Put in a new A-ZTW-40A ESC with a buikt in switching 4A BEC. Had the same issue. Just for the heck of it I started playing with the throttle pecentage on the DX6i. Found at 110% it works perfectly. Finally got yhe 250 in the air last night. Put two packs through it with no problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in