Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 300X

300X Blade 300X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2014, 10:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Adjusting Pitch

I am looking for verification that I am going to do this right. I see on here that it is popular to run -12/+12 pitch. I put a Lynx DFC set up on mine recently and took a look at this last night. It looks like my pitch set up right now is -10/+14ish.

If I want to adjust this to -/+12 I need to length the DFC Arms correct? or do I need to bring the whole swash up?

Thanks

DX6i, 1sq, MSRx, Nano Cpx, 130x, 300x with Beastx, 300xl with Skookum 540
SpringerKing is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2014, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Airetic

You do not need to touch any links. Adjusting collective pitch range is accomplished electronically in step K of the setup menu on your BX. See my attachment.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Okay, I see the menu K adjustments. I will give that shot tonight.

One other question I have then is about swash leveling. That shoudl all be done with linkage rods correct? (that is after the servos are centered)

I am having trouble adjusting the elv linkage rod long enough to level the swash out. is there a menu in the Beastx that needs to be adjusted for this or should I shorten the ail/pitch linkage rods?

I can get the bird in the air, but it pulls front and left all the time.

Thank you for all the help.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

It sounds like your mechanical setup is wrong. You want to make the swash level at mid stick and have the Fbl followers level at the same time, Then set your pitch range up.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree, I think something mechanically is not correct.

I cannot seem to get my Swash level, I am thinking I need to shorten the Aileron and Pitch Servo Linkages, because I don't have much more room to make my elevator longer.

I went DFC, so I don't have any follower arms.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

That might be your problem. I think Lynx sells a shorter main shaft for use with the dfc head. Not sure if you can use the longer standard shaft with the Lynx dfc? I mean I guess you could, but that would be why your linkages are not long enough.
D_Vail is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

That would make sense, I will have to order it and give it a shot.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerKing View Post
I agree, I think something mechanically is not correct.

I cannot seem to get my Swash level, I am thinking I need to shorten the Aileron and Pitch Servo Linkages, because I don't have much more room to make my elevator longer.

I went DFC, so I don't have any follower arms.
So you did it was early and I missed that in your first post, sorry. I would agree on the shaft, Lynx has a shorter one for the Dfc head.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

going to get that ordered and see if it helps. I knew that lynx made a shorter main shaft, but I didn't Realize that it was needed for a DFC conversion. Of course I would have it i had bought the hole combo rather than pieces at a time...

my only concern is, I dont see how that would play into swash leveling. Either way, im ordering it and will see what happens.

Thanks for all the input everyone

Old 09-26-2014, 06:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

It doesn't help to level the swash but it will allow you to get the pitch range correct. If you want help leveling the swash, you'll probably want to get a swash leveler or do it by eye at mid stick. Just make sure once it's level adjust all 3 linkages evenly until 0 pitch on the blades, then fine tune using menu K in the BeastX and dfc arms to get the pitch range you want.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for all your input TerryV83. I will play with the swash more tonight to get it level and work through menu K and the DFC arms once my new shafts arrive.

I ordered a swash leveler yesterday after posting this thread. I saw Helidirect had them in stock again.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Adjusting Pitch

I believe since the head is made for the shorter shaft, the dfc arms are also shorter which is pulling your swash unnecessarily high, creating your linkage length problems. With the shorter Lynx shaft, the head will sit lower, also lowering your swash level and giving you room to adjust your links once again.
D_Vail is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
HF Support

I just don't get the appeal of this DFC upgrade especially for a beginner that is more likely to crash and less likely to understand all the finer nuances of setting up the head mechanically and in the FBL system. So now you've got to have special main shafts, spindle shafts & main grips that you can only get by mail order. The DFC arms will transfer more force down the chain and more easily strip servos in the event of a crash. And add to that you have to be very careful when setting up your cyclic and pitch limits so you don't get boom strikes. And if that weren't enough you have to keep up a fairly aggressive headspeed to employ the stiff dampening involved with DFC.

Sure it looks cool, but of all the things you can spend money on to upgrade these things, I think DFC should be last on the list.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Simply put, live and learn. I live in a area where there are not a lot of flying fanatics that I know, and I upgraded what I thought would be more beneficial based on my limited experience and knowledge. Quite frankly, the idea of changing out the electronics and having to go through all that set up, and compatability checking and otherwise is intimidating. Swapping out a head assembly from my point of view is straight forward.

Also, I did not consider the additional stresses of the DFC system, and ultimately have the parts on hand to take this and flip it back to normal if I find it causes me problems.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I love your honesty. Your DFC upgrade could have been better spent on some better electronics (if you haven't already done so), but you live and learn and there's no point in having any buyer's remorse. The DFC head assembly will treat you fine, but it does have a few minor drawbacks that sometimes become more evident in the event of a crash. Nelson was just pointing you in the right direction for future purchases.

Uriah is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2014, 12:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
HF Support

Right. Sorry if that came off a bit negative. I didn't mean it as some kind of slap on the wrist. I was just saying what was on my mind. Believe me, I've fallen into my fair share of impulse buy upgrades in this hobby and I've got a small Tupperware container full of unused ones to show for it.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2014, 12:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

No worries. Like I said, the electronics thing makes me gun-shy. I tried to do a BL Upgrade on a Nano (by no means very similar) but I screwed up 3 boards before I got it right... I am not good on the electronics side of things

The gents I fly with at the local field all fly gliders, foamys, and FB helis and do not even consider flying inverted, so they have little guidance for me when it comes to putting some stress on the heli in 3D moves.

Servos were next on the dockit for upgrade, but i have had good luck thus far, knock on wood, and was going to wait until I had to.

Thanks again all for the input

Old 09-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the DFC head should be left to the larger 600-700 size birds. It also shouldn't be used by someone in the learning stages who tends to have tip overs or crashes for various reasons. I had it on my Trex 450 Pro DFC and hated it so I bought the components to convert it. I have a Trex 700 DFC and love it as much or more then the non DFC Trex 600 I own. It sure does make the bird look good too!
puppydog_taz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2014, 04:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

so after all of this, I went through Menu G again, adjusted the Servo linkages to get the swash level ( had to lower the Ail &pitch 2 turns each), and was able to get 0 pitch on the blades by lengthening the DFC arms by 3 turns.

It would appear that I am running -11/+11 from my non digital pitch gauge. I threw the Eflite stock pack in her and got her in the air. There is a slight pull to the right now, but i I think I can take care of that with a little more toying with the linkage rods.

So long story short, its flying again no problems. I appreciate everyone's feed back, and recognize that maybe DFC wasn't the best upgrade for me. I know for next time, but I do have spare parts enough to almost build a 2nd 300x Airframe lol

Old 09-26-2014, 07:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's great to hear that it's flying again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in