Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > Quest and Kyosho

Quest and Kyosho Kyosho Caliber, Kyosho Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Fly without Gyro?

My friend just picked up an old Kyosho Heli from some guy. I am not sure how old it is. I don't know if he can get parts for it or not; I took a look at it, and noticed that it did not have a gyro installed. It does seem to have everything else though. Now my friend just wanted to see if he could get it up and working, we don't exactly want to spend the money on a gyro if we don't have to. I wondered if anyone has set up a heli without a gyro before; is that even possible?
Raisintoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My question is why? Gyros are pretty cheap nowdays and even the most basic one can make a heli flyable. Anyway, when there were no gyros or they were poor performers people had to program mixes into their radios to help control the tail when you made power changes.
It's just not worth it!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Go for it without a gyro, back in the day "1980's" I'd trim my heli-baby to slowly rotate right.
Knowing it would always rotate right I got used to adding left tail pitch when flying/hovering to compensate, not that difficult just practice.
Kyosho Nexus 30 - "Damn I can't believe I learned on something like this........
J-son600 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cool, I have heard that not long ago, helicopters were almost too complex to fly by radio control. The pilots had a way to fly them anyway. Like you say, the tail can just be set to have a slight drift to the right.

It really is worth it now days, of course, to buy a gyro, but I wanted to know how possible it would be to fly without one. In my case, I just had a friend who bought a helicopter for cheep at a garage sale; it was the first heli he ever had, and he only needed to learn how to hover it around to see if he liked it. Gyros are still expensive when you are new to the hobby. I imagine that you can't possibly do all of the 3D flying without one though.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used to fly without a gyro all the time (back in the 1970's and early 1980's).

Not sure I ever want to try it again, but that was the way you did it, back then.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

How much were you able to do without a gyro?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Swiss Hovering Circles, Shovel, figure eights, cruise around, Split S, loop and roll, auto.

There was no 3D at the time.

Of course, no backwards maneuvers, either!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in