Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 200

Hurricane 200 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 09:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default FES conversion - Just a little help, please

I'm new to the hobby. I bought an Axe 100FP and flew it until it no longer resembled a helicopter. I have since put 30+ hours on RealFlight 7 and bought a 120SR to replace the 100FP. I have all my upright orientations, forward flight and momentum turns down pretty well. Those beautiful banked turns that only helis can do are giving me fits. My SR still resembles a helicopter. During this time I also bought a used Gaui H200 and a DX7 that one of the guys at the hobby shop was selling. Since I wasn't ready for this heli anyway, I just put it aside and used the DX7 with the sim. When I did get the nerve to actually try it out I found out it had been discontinued and parts are getting hard to find. I had also disassembled it and put it back together following the Finless Bob build videos. I went through 5 or 6 packs, had a couple of crashes, none serious. But I am finding that it is twitchier than my “virtual” X7, even on a calm day and that a couple of key flybar parts are non-existent. So I'm converting to FES. My H200 is a V2 but stock except for HiTech HB45 servos.
So I bought
Gaui FES Head Assy
Ikon Flybarless unit
CC Talon 25amp esc (the 12 amp unit gets way too warm for my taste)

Do I need to swap out the servos for better/faster? I want to run at 6V so I don't worry about voltage issues with the Ikon. And do I need to upgrade to the 5300KV motor? The stock motor is still smooth with good power with the flybar head.

Thanks for your time and suggestions
ma9398 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014, 03:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I could not say much concerning the motor. I think FBL head have less resistance so should spin faster with same motor
I am planning to run mine on 3S.
Concerning the servos, I think that the HS45 are not fully supported at 6V. If you are happy with hitec, I would go to the digital version > HS 5045 who are officialy supporting 6V
milliotseb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Couple things.. the original h200 frame has servo openings that will limit your choice of servos. I can't remember which ones fit as I haven't had one in a while, you need to pay attention to the physical dimensions when you order.
I had the hb45 servo on a flybarred 200 but never tried them on a FBL. They may be a little slow and a bit lacking in torque for a FBL setup. but I have no experience there.

Hyperion ds09 series have been a favorite among many 200 FBL setups, not sure if they fit the older frame though and their spec only go up to 5.5v

Not sure what the issue is with ikon needing 6v? Are you sure about this? I'm sure I've read somewhere ikon running fine with 5.5v.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I know this is an older and discontinued heli but it is very new to me so I appreciate the your time responding. I did have a problem finding servos that fit. Ended up ordering Hitech 5045 for cylics and 5084 for the tail servo. I did keep the stock motor because I wanted to see how it performed with the Castle Talon 25 amp esc. Also I don't think I need to be worried about the Ikon browning out with the CC as I was with the 12amp stock esc which got very warm even on short flights.
The FES head unit, Ikon, and CC 25 amp esc came in on friday but the servos are delayed until sometime next week so I got curious about the Ikon and set it up using the current HB 45s and an align tail servo that I picked up locally. It was easier than I thought it would be. Would have been quicker if this wasn't my first time, but I learned quite a bit. I was never able to get it in a steady enough hover with the flybar to try it indoors, but my 200 was in a steady hover over my bed in a couple hours. I had some cyclic wobble and tail wag that I dialed out until it was steady. The Ikon and H200 forums were a big help. I am going to wait and install the new servos before I go to the field, though.
ma9398 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in